UKC

SKILLS: Using SARLOC for Rescue on your Smartphone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Calder Valley Search & Rescue Team at work., 5 kbGetting smart with your smartphone might just save your life in an emergency, writes Judy Whiteside, Editor of Mountain Rescue Magazine.

'There are many apps for smartphone which show the phone's location, but these rely on the lost person having the app installed before they get lost. The beauty of SARLOC is that is uses the web browser installed on the smartphone to interrogate the GPS and locate the person, normally to within a few metres. No need to install a separate app.'

Read more
 Bob Kemp 13 Jun 2018
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Found this really interesting, thanks. Even if you’re not keen on smartphones in the mountains it’s a useful insight into current mountain rescue methods. 

One thing: it isn’t immediately obvious from the headline (ie the link) that this is about the use of SARLOC in mountain rescue and I nearly didn’t bother clicking through. Maybe an amendment would help?

Post edited at 14:42
 Luke90 13 Jun 2018
In reply to Bob Kemp:

I agree. It's an interesting story but the headline had me expecting a completely different style and topic.

In reply to Bob Kemp:

Good suggestion, will amend.

Phil Anderson 13 Jun 2018
In reply to Bob Kemp:

+1 

A great article which I wouldn't have read from the title alone..

summo 13 Jun 2018

I'm not convinced publishing about sarloc helps, as it is effectively saying don't worry about navigating; we can find you provided you keep your phone charged up. It is a great mrt tool, but it shouldn't be seen as a hill users tool or a substitute for learning to read a map.

Luke90 13 Jun 2018
In reply to summo:

I see what you mean but I disagree. Reasonable, responsible people don't see MR as a get out of jail free card when they're a bit lost. Reminding those people that it's useful to keep a charged phone and know how to turn on location is valuable. Plus, if they do end up in a nightmare situation, their exhausted/hypothermic brain might deal better with the SARLOC system if they're already primed by knowing a little about it.

Unreasonable and irresponsible people do exist of course but I suspect they're less likely to bother reading stories about mountain safety in the first place. In any case, it would be sad to censor information just for the sake of a reckless minority. It's not like the SARLOC system is even available to be used as a substitute for navigation. I struggle to imagine that anybody has decided to ditch the map and compass on their next trip due to this article. Even in the case of somebody who should never have needed MR if they'd been properly prepared, the system is still going to save MR time and effort if the idiot in question has listened to the advice in this article.

Treadsoftly 14 Jun 2018

FLIGHT MODE! FLIGHT MODE! FLIGHT MODE!

Please put this in the article. Set off with a full battery, put the phone in flight mode, enjoy the peace and quiet, even an iPhone battery will last for several days in flight mode. If you really can't cope without contact with the outside world just turn off flight mode when you stop for drink then turn flight mode back on again. Just turn full signal back on if you really need to make the call for rescue.

Post edited at 14:19
 Pedro50 14 Jun 2018

Sorry I'm a bit dim. Do I need to download sarloc from the app store? 

PM 14 Jun 2018

"Chances are then, after a long day on the hill, navigating by smartphone, that by the time you make that call for help both you and it may be low on juice and data. And without juice and data, SARLOC won't work."

Do people's phones really 'get low on data' for a given day?

Interesting and worthwhile article though! As someone else commented, I've been quite impressed how long my phone battery lasts if I'm careful about switching it to flight mode, or even just switching off wifi/data when I'm not using it (this means I can still get calls and use GPS occasionally).

Post edited at 15:17
 PM 14 Jun 2018
In reply to Pedro50:

> Do I need to download sarloc from the app store? 

No. My understanding is that if you're in contact with mountain rescue, they send you a link via text message. That link allows you to send your location to them, without needing an app.

Pedro50 14 Jun 2018
In reply to PM:

Ah thanks 

Simon Caldwell 14 Jun 2018
In reply to PM:

> Do people's phones really 'get low on data' for a given day?

Yes. Though possibly not if you're the sort of person who uses theirs for navigation, I'd expect them to be on some sort of high-data contract.

Although the title of this post has changed I think it is still misleading. SARLOC is a tool that Mountain Rescue teams use to locate people on the hill who need assistance - it is NOT available to everyone to get them out of trouble. 

GrahamUney 14 Jun 2018

This is confusing quite a few people. Users can't use SARLOC on their Smartphone for rescue. It's not an app you can put on your phone. MR teams will ask you if they can send you a text, which you reply to, and they use SARLOC to locate you, not the other way around.

Toerag 14 Jun 2018

Would it be a sensible addition to the webpage to get it to text the casualty's location back to the MR team as well as doing it over the internet? SMS will work when virtually nothing else will, and it's entirely possible for mobile data to drop out, or be disabled when the phone battery gets low.

Do the other emergency services use it? I can foresee the RNLI making very good use of it to rescue the retards that go out with no safety equipment and get into trouble.

Post edited at 16:12
 Oceanrower 14 Jun 2018
In reply to Toerag:

> Do the other emergency services use it?

Cave Rescue do not use it.

PM 14 Jun 2018
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

I'm going to hazard a guess that if you're in contact with mountain rescue, your phone still has battery, and they've asked you to visit a web page so that can find out where to come get you from, if you said: "I would, but I don't want to pay extra for going over my unusually tiny daily data allowance…", that that might result in MR just going home, leaving you to your own [pun intended] devices.

Short version: I don't think 'running out of data' is ever going to be a concern in a situation where you'd be wanting to use SARLOC.

Post edited at 20:29
 PM 14 Jun 2018
In reply to Toerag:

> Would it be a sensible addition to the webpage to get it to text the casualty's location back to the MR team as well as doing it over the internet?

Sounds like a pretty good idea, though from reading about how to do it, making a link on a web page which generates a text message to send is not straightforward, and varies between iOS and Android, and again between different versions of those. The variation includes 'this does not work at all on this version of <blahblah>'.

I guess it'd be more reliable (in terms of does it work on all devices, given a data signal) to go with the method they already have, of sending the data via the web page. I wonder if the SARLOC page people are sent to shows location details which they might be able to subsequently send manually with SMS, if needed.

Dave B 14 Jun 2018

On my contract, once I've used the data it's hard to get more data without a good connection.

Almost as easy is to use Google maps to get your lat-long and text that back ..

SebCa 14 Jun 2018

IMHO, Russ Hore should be recognised for his services and honoured for the above. Countless celebs are given gongs for being on the TV, this bloke is saving lives and should be recognised as such.

Simon Caldwell 14 Jun 2018
In reply to PM:

I'm on PAYG and it's a major faff to get it topped up when it's close to running out. And when it runs out then that's it, no Internet access. 

PM 15 Jun 2018

Ah hah, I used to have a PAYG phone, but way back in the days before data was a thing, and have always had a contract since getting a smartphone.

It genuinely didn’t cross my mind that data would run down then need topped up like I used to do with call minutes. I stand corrected. Ta.

Post edited at 01:01
 French Erick 15 Jun 2018

Interesting stuff. I thought there was already some texting thing you could sign up to- previous to going to the hills- which could allow relocation of your phone (even if it is like mine...not smart).

I have a vague memory of doing this about 5-6 years ago but cannot recollect any details. Anyone knows what I am referring to?

planetmarshall 15 Jun 2018
In reply to SebCa:

> IMHO, Russ Hore should be recognised for his services and honoured for the above. Countless celebs are given gongs for being on the TV, this bloke is saving lives and should be recognised as such.

So nominate him.

BruceM 15 Jun 2018

Interesting that this sort of technology doesn't seem to attract all the venom and hatred that PLBs and avalanche transceivers often do.  Is it because smartphones are trendy must-have items, so that's cool?

Flinticus 15 Jun 2018
In reply to French Erick:

This? Which I have signed up to as well:

Welcome to the emergencySMS

The emergencySMS service lets deaf, hard of hearing and speech-impaired people in the UK send an SMS text message to the UK 999 service where it will be passed to the police, ambulance, fire rescue, or coastguard.

Simply by sending an SMS message to 999 you can call for help and the emergency services will be able to reply to you.

You will need to register your mobile phone before using the emergencySMS service, click on the Registering your phone link above for more information.

Simon Caldwell 15 Jun 2018
In reply to BruceM:

> Interesting that this sort of technology doesn't seem to attract all the venom and hatred that PLBs and avalanche transceivers often do. 

You presumably haven't looked at any of the walking groups in Facebook, the use of phones (and even GPS generally) for navigation is a perennial hot topic and a guarantee of lost tempers all round!

Max Hangs 15 Jun 2018

> > Do people's phones really 'get low on data' for a given day?

> Yes. Though possibly not if you're the sort of person who uses theirs for navigation, I'd expect them to be on some sort of high-data contract.

Not necessary. Almost all smartphones have GPS, so you can turn off your data (flight mode), navigate from the GPS and your phone lasts about 10x longer with data turned off!

You'd only be able to navigate for about an hour or 2 with your data turned on before the battery died, so it's to be avoided really.

drunken monkey 15 Jun 2018

Good article and Great tool - hopefully 3G/4G coverage will improve in the highlands as I'd suggest there are still quite large areas up here where it wont be possible to open up a webpage on your phones internet browser.

French Erick 15 Jun 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

This what? Should there be a link? Ta

PM 15 Jun 2018
In reply to French Erick:

Tempting to post a 'let me google that for you' link, but here: http://www.emergencysms.org.uk/registering_your_mobile_phone.php

Luke90 15 Jun 2018
In reply to BruceM:

I've seen people criticising PLBs but I've never seen criticism of avalanche transceivers. What's people's objection to them?! Do they think that being self-reliant in the hills includes the ability to dig oneself out of an avalanche unassisted?

Of course, if you have a smart phone that has a GPS receiver that allows SARLOC to work, you might as well have an OS grid reference location app installed on your smartphone, so you can simply tell the MRT where you are; if you can call them and get them to use SARLOC, you can obviously talk to them (and, even more significantly, get some data service). You could also use an SMS to send you GR, which has a better chance of getting through in sketchy reception conditions.

Most of the GR tools I've seen allow you to copy and paste, or send an SMS from within the app, thus reducing transcription errors.

[skims article, sees apps are mentioned... I still think it's the better choice, as it doesn't require a data service. Grid Reference on Android takes 1MB. GPS Status takes 5.7MB. Hardly going to break the storage bank on a modern smartphone.]

Post edited at 00:22
 Robert Durran 16 Jun 2018
In reply to drunken monkey:

> Good article and Great tool - hopefully 3G/4G coverage will improve in the highlands as I'd suggest there are still quite large areas up here where it wont be possible to open up a webpage on your phones internet browser.

Having just spent eight days in the hills north of Braemar with D of E groups, I would say that 3G/4G coverage is very much the exception, and a phone signal only a bit more common. I actually hope it stays that way - and I think it will; I can't see masts being located to give a signal in remote uninhabited valleys. To me any sort of navigation/emergency thing requiring 3G/4G seems pretty pointless.

PM 18 Jun 2018
In reply to Robert Durran:

> To me any sort of navigation/emergency thing requiring 3G/4G seems pretty pointless.

I suppose the fact that it's been used successfully in several rescues suggests that it's unquestionably not pointless. I think a better point may be that it's not guaranteed to help in all cases, but will be a huge time-saver (and hence possibly life-saver) in some.

I don't think anyone's suggesting that SARLOC is the only thing you need in every hill emergency, but it's clearly a big help for rescuers and those needing rescued in many situations. Something that nobody should rely on, but should be available to use wherever it's possible or necessary.

Finally, SARLOC should work if you can get any sort of data connection, including GPRS or EDGE (which I believe are 2G), not necessarily just 3G/4G.

munro90 18 Jun 2018
In reply to Robert Durran:

Interesting. I think the problem more tends to be how high up you are. I find I have 4G anywhere on the tops in the Cairngorms and have just returned from the Fisherfield Wilderness (notionally one of the most remote areas of the UK) and had 4G most areas above about 700m and certainly on every summit. I’m guessing your DoE groups weren’t so high most of the time?

Obviously in the context of being lost you’re less likely to be on the tops, but worth bearing in mind that if you head uphill to get signal to call for help you’re reasonably likely to have data signal too.

PM 21 Jun 2018

Sorry for resurrecting a mostly-inactive topic, but came across, while not particularly looking for them, some things which were interesting to me.

If you have an up-to-date-ish Android or Apple phone, when you make an emergency call, it can send GPS location details from your phone to the emergency call handler.

Here's some details about the iPhone implementation: https://www.macrumors.com/2018/01/24/ios-11-3-will-support-advanced-mobile-...

On my iPhone I believe the relevant setting is: Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services (right at the bottom) > Emergency SOS

Details I have no idea about:

• Does it need to have a data signal to do this, or just do it over the call? (I suspect the latter.)
  • Are the 999/112 folks able to pass this on to Mountain Rescue as efficiently as if MR used SARLOC?
  • Does this only work when calling 112 versus 999? (I suspect not, but at one first-aid course I was on years ago we were told – I though incorrectly even then – that location info was only sent if you called 112.)

As a few people have said already, it's good to have lots of options for how to find someone who's needing found, so more the merrier. My suspicion is that in the longer-term things like the above being more widely available may eventually make SARLOC somewhat redundant, and – hopefully – rescues quicker and easier for all involved.

pete baines 23 Jun 2018

Those people using their phones for navigation should be using navigation apps (like Viewranger) and have detailed OS mapping pre-installed on their phones so they are not relying on a data link at all. Too many people rely on the likes of Google Maps and expect they can navigate the mountains with it. We once found a group who were overdue on Scafell Pike using mapping that showed only features such as Wasdale Head, Boot (in Eskdale) and the summit of Scafell Pike, on an otherwise white background with Wastwater marked in blue. It had plotted a breadcrumb trail of their route so at least they could "complete the circle" and return to their starting point. However, I had to point out to them that this wasn't an ideal way to navigate in the mountains.

> > Do people's phones really 'get low on data' for a given day?

> Yes. Though possibly not if you're the sort of person who uses theirs for navigation, I'd expect them to be on some sort of high-data contract.

elsewhere 23 Jun 2018
In reply to PM:

> My suspicion is that in the longer-term things like the above being more widely available may eventually make SARLOC somewhat redundant, and – hopefully – rescues quicker and easier for all involved.

A *default* emergency call configuration that includes GPS coordinates is the ideal as it should just work almost all the time on any smartphone even without data/internet.

SARLOC won't be redundant for those who are too scared, injured & hypothermic to do much more than click on the SARLOC link sent by SMS.

If they're thinking logically if SARLOC works you have internet. That mean you can search for, buy and download an app. Alternatively do a Google for "what is my GPS location" for a website that gets GPS cocords then work out how to open up that location on Bing maps and zoom in to get full detail of 50k OS maps. 

If anybody is reading this on top of a  UK mountain please open Bing maps, zoom in and tell us if you get full OS 50k map centred on your correct location.

In reply to PM:

That may be to support the US E911 regulation, that requires mobile phones to be able to send position to emergency operators. It was one of the driving forces for the miniaturisation of GPS receivers.

Not sure if the system is in use outside the US  although it would seem sensible to do so.

112 is the emergency number defined by the GSM standard.

PM 24 Jun 2018
In reply to captain paranoia:

It was reading that they (Apple) are just about to implement the US E911 that led me to the thing I linked to, that they’d already implemented the EU equivalent (European Emergency Numbers Association, Advanced Mobile Location).

wintertree 24 Jun 2018
In reply to PM:

> Finally, SARLOC should work if you can get any sort of data connection, including GPRS or EDGE (which I believe are 2G), not necessarily just 3G/4G.

I presume it does not work when you don’t have your normal network operator’s serice but are automatically using another as emergency calls do?

In reply to PM:

If they're only just about to implement it, they seem to be a bit late...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_9-1-1

I can only think that it's an enhancement to their E911 provision. Quite sensibly, the legislation allowed for a phased rollout; initially based on cell base station ID and location, and then 300m radius. This can be provided by triangulation from cell masts (infrastructure), or by fitting GPS to the phones (user equipment). There are so many advantages for the user to the latter that it became the norm.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...