UKC

NEWS: VIDEO: Domen Škofic in Ticino

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 07 Apr 2013
Domen Škofic, 4 kbDoman Škofic, one of the most promising young lead climbers in the World Cup, visited Ticino, where he showed he's quite a boulderer as well.
Highlights include a near flash(!) of The Dagger, ~8B/+, which he then did 3rd go, and a quick ascent of Confessions, ~8B+.
Maybe he should enter the...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67969
 ingo_g 07 Apr 2013
In reply to UKC News:
good point about the grades in comps. it seems ridiculous to see ~8b+/8c boulderers struggle with 7b in a comp... maybe the setters want to appear as bad ass hard core mofos too? speeking about the dagger and ticino, why is it, that super strong and talented guys like jan hojer or jernej kruder couldn't do their thing in millau? they didn't even get to the semis although they are some of the best boulderers outdoors. is it really the same sport?
 Elrond 07 Apr 2013
In reply to ingo_g:

is it really the same sport?

I think that the style that is set in indoor competitions is so different from 90% of stuff outside that it is hard to compare to two. I remember seeing a video of Dave Graham falling off some pretty easy stuff (for him) on an indoor wall because it is just so different from bouldering outdoors.

Still an interesting point though as some of the best comp climbers can't climb any where near as well outside compared with some of their peers in the comp such as those you mentioned...

On a side note, anyone know how old this guy is? Massive effort from him for such ridiculous ascents so quickly!!
 remus Global Crag Moderator 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Elrond: interesting that you say "some of the best comp climbers don't do so well outdoors", it seems to me that a lot of comp climbers who spend a bit of time outdoors actually do very well.

Certainly the style differs (I remember a vid of ondra.saying how he was going to climb indoors for a few weeks pre world cup to adjust to indoor climbing) but I think the key traits that make a good comp climber are very similar to those required to do well outdoors.

With regards to Dave graham, its worth noting that while he has an impressive cv he's not particularly strong. For example his new v15 took him weeks of work whereas Daniel woods repeated it in a season. He's certainly got good sessioning skills but he's not so good at quick sends, which is what comps are all about.
 remus Global Crag Moderator 07 Apr 2013
In reply to remus: season = session
 Boogs 07 Apr 2013
In reply to UKC News:

When did Justin Bieber take up bouldering ?
 Zgemba 07 Apr 2013
In reply to Elrond:

>On a side note, anyone know how old this guy is?

He is 19.
Žiga Janež 08 Apr 2013
In reply to UKC News: You can also read his new blog post form recent hard climbing in Swiss

http://planetgrimpe.com/domen-skofic/?p=30

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...