UKC

NEW ARTICLE: VIDEO: Huber Brothers in Antarctica

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 17 Apr 2009
[Doug Scott and Alex Huber hamming it up for the camera, 3 kb]In December 2008, legendary climbers Alex and Thomas Huber travelled to Antarctica to climb Ulvetanna, one of the most beautiful and striking mountains in the world.

This is a full length film (26 mins) of their expedition.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1818
In reply to UKC Articles:

Superb. The photography is a tour de force in such difficult conditions.
Sam L 17 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: Stunning, but the narrator is unbelievably irritating, as is some of the music...
In reply to Sam L:

Yes, the music was very poor, I thought.
 Glyn 17 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: Amazing filming in such difficult conditions. There seemed to be some filming trickery going on, at some points the climbing was being shot from above. I imagine they must have re-lead a pitch or two for the purpose of the video.

I didn't know that Adidas made portaledges and goretex! Iv always associate them with school football teams and chavs! I suppose they must have more money to fund expeditions like that than other outdoor brands. Can only be a good thing
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 17 Apr 2009

Superb and the vid is of such high quality - way better than your normal YouTube stuff. Great climbers (-30C!!!) and great photography - epic.

Chris
 DrGav 18 Apr 2009

Thank you for that - very enjoyable despite the narrator. Perfect Saturday early evening armchair viewing!
 SCGale 19 Apr 2009

Anyone else notice there was little mention of Stefan Siegrist? Even though he lead one of the pitches...
K. William 19 Apr 2009

Great lines,beautiful landscape, nice climbers, and excellent! camera work! Thanks.
 Will Hunt 19 Apr 2009
If you can get over the grating narration then that is excellent.
 Michael Ryan 19 Apr 2009
In reply to Will Hunt:
> (In reply to UKC Articles)
> If you can get over the grating narration then that is excellent.

If you ever get the chance, see Alex Huber live. He puts on a great show.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1775

And then Alex Huber.

Born in Trostberg, Bavaria in 1968, Alex with is brother Thomas, collectively known as the 'Huberbaum', are two of the worlds top alpinists and rock climbers.

Alex Huber's delivery of his adventures was as impressive as his achievements; professional, committed and heartfelt. He took us through his solos of the South Face of Dent du Géant, the Swiss Route on Grand Capucin and the Direttissima on the Cima Grande using a mix of movie, photos and dialogue.

His described first ascents of Pan Aroma (5.14b/8c) and Bellavista, (5.14b/8c) on the Torre Grande Cima Ovest which are not only physically hard but bold and singular lines up one of the steepest rock faces in the Dolomites. Then he described climbing with his brother Thomas and their speed ascent of El Capitan's Nose Route.

His enthusiasm for and love of the mountains shone through, and exemplified what what he calls the fifth dimension, the emotional connection that all climbers feel, of whatever ability, to the mountain environment and their experiences.

The finale to his presentation was his account of his, Thomas, Max Riechl and Stephen Siegrist's expedition to Queen Maud Land in the Antarctic climbing the peaks Ulvetanna and Holtanna which emerge like missiles for almost 3000m out of the icepack.
 dr evil 20 Apr 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: Anybody else find it amusing that they chose to go and climb a wall in Antarctica and then complained that it was too cold to free climb? Or is it just me?
 Mr Lopez 21 Apr 2009
In reply to SCGale:
> (In reply to UKC Articles)
>
> Anyone else notice there was little mention of Stefan Siegrist? Even though he lead one of the pitches...

Didn't you notice he didn't wear Adidas clothing? Guess who paid for the trip and filming... And i'm sure he lead more than one pitch as well.

K. William 21 Apr 2009
In reply to dr evil:
> (In reply to UKC Articles) Anybody else find it amusing that they chose to go and climb a wall in Antarctica and then complained that it was too cold to free climb? Or is it just me?

They dare the impossible, trying to push the limit.
 Orlov 03 May 2009

excellent- In all ways. The need for a sponsor somewhat takes out the magic of it all, but the climbing looks superb and the challenge even more so.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...