UKC

THE LOWDOWN: VIDEO: Jonathan Siegrist climbs Le Reve, 9a/+

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jonathan Siegrist on the first crux of Le Reve, 9a/+, Arrow Canyon, Nevada, 5 kbJonathan Siegrist makes the first ascent of what should be his hardest route to date, Le Reve, 9a/+, at Arrow Canyon, Nevada.
He also talks about his climbing, what motivates him these days and tiny horses.
The route, which apparently is 100% natural, looks really nice, and quite difficult....

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=66929
 Olli-C 29 Feb 2012
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC:
Point 1: Its strange to here a route being preclaimed as 100% natural when it has bolts in it
Point 2: If the route gets extra quality points for not having chipped or modified holds (which is what i assume he means by 100% natural) then it make me wonder how many US routes are manufactured.
Confusing
 Michael Ryan 29 Feb 2012
In reply to Olli-C:
> (In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC)

> Point 1: Its strange to here a route being preclaimed as 100% natural when it has bolts in it.

He means natural holds. It's a given that bolts are drilled and are quite acceptable by most.

> Point 2: If the route gets extra quality points for not having chipped or modified holds (which is what i assume he means by 100% natural) then it make me wonder how many US routes are manufactured.
> Confusing

Many hard routes of that grade all over the world, Europe, USA etc have artificial or modified holds. This happens less these days. Jonathan was making the distinction that this particular route has had no hold modification, contrasting to the hard routes at the nearby Hood at Mt. Charleston that is a chipped/drilled fest. I've been to both areas, in fact both, Arrow Canyon and The Hood are covered in the Rockfax guidebook Islands in the Sky ( http://www.rockfax.com/climbing-guides/all/las-vegas-limestone-islands-in-t... )

slacky 29 Feb 2012
In reply to Olli-C:

I wouldn't worry about it too much, just enjoy the free video and get out this weekend.
 AJM 29 Feb 2012
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC:

Looks awesome. Very impressive!

There's another nice video of him on some route called New World Order that popped up as an option once I had finished watching that one. Worth a look.
 Alex Mason 29 Feb 2012
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC: Really good footage, you really get an idea of just how hard it is.
 Alun 29 Feb 2012
In reply to slacky:
> I wouldn't worry about it too much, just enjoy the free video and get out this weekend.

Well put
Removed User 02 Mar 2012
In reply to Alun:

Nice vid and a quality looking route, although the commentary went a bit Elton John at the end...My gift is my route and all that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...