UKC

Video: Mammut Climbax - The World's First Climbing Tracker

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Videos 20 Sep 2021

The Mammut Climbax is the world's first tracker designed specifically for climbing. It allows you to record and analyse your climbs, compare your performance with others and monitor your own progress.

Climbax records parameters, including meters of vertical, number of climbing movements, use of right versus left hand, effective climbing time and breaks. Afterwards, you can analyse your performance stats in the Mammut Climb app on your smartphone. You can also compete in challenges with other climbers.

Read more

Moacs 20 Sep 2021
In reply to UKC Videos:

6 months too early

Robert Durran 20 Sep 2021
In reply to Moacs:

Yes, came too soon.

Lankyman 20 Sep 2021
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Yes, came too soon.

Could be a useful tool? Some folks get a buzz from these kinds of toys.

Theo Moore 20 Sep 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

I'm going to publish my review of the Climbax in the next week - I'll go through all the pros and cons and let you know what I think.

mcdougal 20 Sep 2021
In reply to Theo Moore: 

Do you have the freedom to be impartial when Mammut are paying to advertise the Climbax on this site?

Doug 20 Sep 2021
 Lankyman 20 Sep 2021
In reply to Theo Moore:

> I'm going to publish my review of the Climbax in the next week - I'll go through all the pros and cons and let you know what I think.

I'm moist with anticipation

mrphilipoldham 20 Sep 2021
In reply to UKC Videos:

On one hand, wanting to save the planet. On the other promoting plastic and precious metal tat.

I think we really need to decide where we, as humans and climbers, really want to go. 

girlymonkey 20 Sep 2021
In reply to UKC Videos:

Does it tell me how long I spend chatting to other wall users and allow you to keep track of which snacks from the cafe are best? Both important parts of my...err... training!

planetmarshall 20 Sep 2021
In reply to mcdougal:

> Do you have the freedom to be impartial when Mammut are paying to advertise the Climbax on this site?

Probably the same amount of freedom that other magazines and websites have that both take money from advertising products and offers opinions on those products.

As as alternative business model, maybe UKC could do a deal with Washing Machine Monthly and only advertise Washing Machines, whereas people fascinated with the performance of the latest in 10kg smart spin drying technology could see advertisements for assisted belay devices and sport climbing holidays in Kalymnos.

In reply to mrphilipoldham:

> On one hand, wanting to save the planet. On the other...

No one needs to know what you're doing with the other hand.

Sorry, but I didn't think we'd have the opportunity to do all the climbax jokes again. 

In reply to Lankyman:

> I'm moist with anticipation

You're all such cynics.

I can see this product getting widespread adoption in the climbing community. Just think of all those people they'll be bringing to Climbax.

In reply to Lankyman:

I had looked at it earlier, having seen the advert pop up a couple of times. My first thought was that there seemed to be long stringy things on the straps, which I thought would get snagged. They have tried to address the "don't wear a watch when climbing" entrapment hazard by having breakaway straps. Breakaway, fall off, lost...

From a technical PoV, I'm interested in the sensor technology they're using; probably 9/10? axis micromachined IMU, and dealing with the huge drift in a manner I'm familiar with.

Post edited at 19:20
 Lankyman 20 Sep 2021
In reply to captain paranoia:

> From a technical PoV, I'm interested in the sensor technology they're using; probably 9/10? axis micromachined IMU, and dealing with the huge drift in a manner I'm familiar with.

Have you tried it in throb mode?

In reply to UKC Videos:

It’s absolutely not the first climbing tracker, see photo below. I accidentally switched on my Garmin watch at the Climbing Unit this afternoon, and it tracked all the problems I did. I also walked 0.5miles. Apparently.

Theo Moore 21 Sep 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

This is the first thing I noticed when I used it for indoor bouldering: 90% rest time, 10% climbing time...

Theo Moore 21 Sep 2021
In reply to mcdougal:

Definitely. They pay us for the adverts (e.g competitions, press releases, videos, banners) but they don't pay us for the review. That's our editorial and so, as a reviewer, I can say what I like.

In reply to Theo Moore:

> This is the first thing I noticed when I used it for indoor bouldering: 90% rest time, 10% climbing time...

Theo, you really need to up your game

MikeSP 21 Sep 2021
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

But then they can't sell you two peices of expensive hardware.

tehmarks 21 Sep 2021
In reply to UKC Videos:

Excellent, this is just what we've been missing. Another pointless piece of consumerist crap to put meaningless numbers to things that don't need them.

keith sanders 21 Sep 2021
In reply to UKC Videos:

Whats it like when Jamming on grit will it help 

keith s

TomD89 21 Sep 2021
In reply to UKC Videos:

I for one can't wait to splurge on Climbax.

C Witter 23 Sep 2021
In reply to UKC Videos:

I think they'd have done better sodding off this numerical borefest and designing instead some sort of hat that takes a selfie every time you do a photogenic move, posting it directly to Instagram via a 6G connection. They could also include a subscription to some sort of Russian "like"-farming unit, to automate the entire process.

In reply to Theo Moore:

> I'm going to publish my review of the Climbax in the next week - I'll go through all the pros and cons and let you know what I think.

Been awful quiet. Is Theo still busy beating his....... um..... personal best?

I was looking forward to finding out what kind of ending this story had.

Jamie Hageman 01 Oct 2021
In reply to UKC Videos:

Say Climbax and I just think of Yvon Chouinard's excellent Climax ice tool from the '70s.  I don't agree with nicking the name Mammut!  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...