UKC

VIDEO: Natalija Gros climbs Histerija F8c+

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 09 Mar 2009
[Natalija Gros climbs F8c+ (Still shot from Video), 4 kb]In this stunning short film, Slovenian climber Natalija Gros climbs Histerija (F8c+) at Mišja Peč, Slovenia.

Natalija is one of only a handful of women to climb at this standard.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=1721

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 09 Mar 2009
In reply to UKC Articles:

Very nice. How come the camera man doesn't appear to cast a shadow?

Chris
 Marc C 09 Mar 2009
In reply to UKC Articles: Nice video - I could almost feel the texture of the holds near the top of the route.
 Owen W-G 09 Mar 2009
In reply to Marc C:

No idea how the camera work was achieved.
 Marc C 09 Mar 2009
In reply to Chris Craggs: and how come she's seen celebrating her ascent with what would appear to be a blue vest on under her fleece, yet in the video she's wearing a red top?

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.climbing.com/news/hotfl...
 ericoides 09 Mar 2009
In reply to Marc C:

Yes and what about those bits of thermite on the grassy knoll at the bottom left of the film?
SteepMedia 09 Mar 2009
Stunning footage, great video! Looks like an amazing place too.
 James Oswald 09 Mar 2009
Awesome work and top filming!
James
 Carless 09 Mar 2009
In reply to SteepMedia:

It is an amazing place - unfortunately the easiest route is (was?) 6b and polished to buggery

Osp has easier grades and is very nearby
 Durbs 09 Mar 2009
Incidentally - is that a typo or is this "news" a year old?
"Last March, Slovenian climber Natalija Gros climbed Histerija "

Or is just the video new(s)?
 Marc C 09 Mar 2009
In reply to Durbs: Was climbed in March 2008
 subalpine 09 Mar 2009
In reply to ericoides:
> (In reply to Marc C)
>
> Yes and what about those bits of thermite on the grassy knoll at the bottom left of the film?

the awful music gives it away..

TobyA 09 Mar 2009
In reply to Durbs: Yeah - I think I had seen it before. Excellently filmed though.

I happened to interview a Slovene for a job last week and when we got on to hobbies I asked if she climbed because all the best climbers are Slovenes. And she said "no. they are all from the west, I'm from the east." This appeared to be something she was very definite on!
 Durbs 09 Mar 2009
Incidentally - the discrepancy in clothing:
"After almost one year I finally went to take some nice pictures with photographer Urban Golob. I needed some new pictures and I had to deal with Histerija just for one more time to document it also in picture.

Day was really perfect, it was sunny but quite windy. I really enjoyed being out again, climbing in the center of Mišja peè. It was also hard, but worth it. We took some nice photos and you can see them in "gallery". I hope you'll like them!"
 screenager 09 Mar 2009

That video was bizarre.
 Nic 09 Mar 2009
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> How come the camera man doesn't appear to cast a shadow?

He's from over the border in Transylvania...
 Marc C 09 Mar 2009
In reply to subalpine:
>
> the awful music gives it away..>

Really? There was me thinking, 'nice to hear some classic-y music rather than the usual drum n bass/techno soundtrack'

She certainly took the photo-shoot for the 3rd ascent seriously...

http://www.alpikor.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/maja_vidmar_001.jpg

jas wood 09 Mar 2009
In reply to Marc C:
i too thought the music was good for the video and what a good video it was and she is a cracker as well.

jas
 Kyuzo 09 Mar 2009

Very nice, I like the long continuity and smoothness - and the music makes a nice change. Suprisingly watchable.
 lowersharpnose 09 Mar 2009
In reply to Kyuzo:

Excellent.

A cool, smooth ascent, right to the end - her last move was clipping the lower-off, as opposed to grabbing the chain.

In reply to Marc C: That's Maya , not Natalija Gros in that Pic.
 Adam Lincoln 09 Mar 2009
In reply to Marc C:
> (In reply to subalpine)
> [...]
>
> Really? There was me thinking, 'nice to hear some classic-y music rather than the usual drum n bass/techno soundtrack'
>
> She certainly took the photo-shoot for the 3rd ascent seriously...
>
> http://www.alpikor.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/maja_vidmar_001.jpg

Pitty that's not even her. Hey.

Marc C 09 Mar 2009
In reply to Adam Lincoln: A-ha! those cheating Eastern Europeans! Obviously Maya climbed the bottom half of the route, then, when no one was looking, Natalija (her identical twin) abbed down and took over the lead
 twm.bwen 09 Mar 2009
In reply to Marc C:

> Really? There was me thinking, 'nice to hear some classic-y music rather than the usual drum n bass/techno soundtrack'

Hear Hear! (or is it Here Here, never been sure!)

Whilst I'm always up for a bit of D+B I think the classical style suited both the production and the climbing style.
I'm tempted to film myself climbing and compose the music to go over the top, sadly the piece would have to be a touch wild, without form, somewhat jerky and, to be honest, shit.
 Marc C 09 Mar 2009
In reply to twm.bwen: I often turn the music off when I hear it's that 'climbing's well gnarly and the epitome of urban kids on da street cool' jungle noise

BTW it's 'hear, hear!'
 Dave-Westlake 09 Mar 2009

I thought the music was great.

Can anyone tell me what it is? usually there is an 'artist, track' credit at the end but not in this case.

Excellent, and agreed the music was less irritating than usual.

She looks like she could climb harder with more rehearsal, or a better memory, or something.

jcm
 Marc C 09 Mar 2009
In reply to Dave-Westlake: A YouTube comment suggests Simonida - maybe this?

youtube.com/watch?v=YagN-5eMt0Y&
 bbrowne 10 Mar 2009
In reply to Durbs:
> Incidentally - is that a typo or is this "news" a year old?
> "Last March, Slovenian climber Natalija Gros climbed Histerija "
>
> Or is just the video new(s)?

Mick's just been browsing the quality chuffing vids on UKB. It was linked there back in January. Must be a slow week for climbing "news".
 Michael Ryan 10 Mar 2009
In reply to bbrowne:
> (In reply to Durbs)
> [...]
>
> Mick's just been browsing the quality chuffing vids on UKB. It was linked there back in January. Must be a slow week for climbing "news".

Jack's the main newshound. Yes we did feature it last year, and yes was linked on many forum only sites around the globe - with good reason.

Slow for news this week? Hardly. Last seven days or so.

VIDEO: The Great British Grade Debate: 09-Mar-09

LOCAL NEWS: Wales to get dedicated BMC Officer: 10-Mar-09

LOCAL NEWS: Pete Whittaker climbs new grit E7: 10-Mar-09

Norway - New Big Wall Ice: 10-Mar-09

Sport Climbing Round-Up - Ondra On Fire: 06-Mar-09

Tom Peckitt Climbs Hard Almscliff Link-Up: 06-Mar-09

Chris Sharma at Malham 04-Mar-09

South Yorkshire Pupil Power in Africa and Leo Houlding and Andy Cave 04-Mar-09

Tyler Landman: A New Level! 03-Mar-09

It's Hamer Time 03-Mar-09

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/

With more to come.

Cheers,

Mick

GrahamD 10 Mar 2009
In reply to Chris Craggs:
> (In reply to UKC Articles)
>
> Very nice. How come the camera man doesn't appear to cast a shadow?

I was trying to work out how they managed to apparently swing left to right round the action all the time. Interesting perspective.
In reply to UKC Articles: has no one seen one of these before?

http://www.studio1productions.com/dv_jib.htm
 Michael Ryan 10 Mar 2009
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat:

Is that similar to this?

Boombastic Climbing Video - Posing Productions, we did run this at UKC

youtube.com/watch?v=ltUNBEtudyg&

I think most climbing filmmakers use this technique.

Mick
 Blue Straggler 10 Mar 2009
In reply to twm.bwen:
> (In reply to Marc C)
>
> I'm tempted to film myself climbing and compose the music to go over the top, sadly the piece would have to be a touch wild, without form, somewhat jerky and, to be honest, shit.

Current leading contender for "UKC Forum Quote of 2009". Inspires us to come up with our own variations. My music would perhaps have to have three false starts, a repetitive bit, a near silent section (some quite tinkling of glockenspiel or little bells to accompany the desperate rattling of nuts and hexes), and a triple tempo finish
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: No access to youtube so cannot say.
 duncan 10 Mar 2009
In reply to TobyA:

> I think I had seen it before.

In reply to bbrowne:

> Mick's just been browsing the quality chuffing vids on UKB. It was linked there back in January. Must be a slow week for climbing "news".

First spotted on UKC nearly a year ago: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=292883&v=1#x4340914

Jack Geldard 10 Mar 2009
In reply to duncan: Hi everyone.

Yes Natalija climbed this a year ago.

Yes we reported it a year ago.

I saw this (IMO) excellent video the other day linked from the Climbing Narcissist Blog.

No it is not 'news'. It's an 'Article' - well actually it is a video, but we don't yet have a dedicated 'Video' section - although we are working on it.

The climbing narc blog is great - check it out.

We collate a lot of interesting stuff to show our readers - not everyone subscribes to 260 climbing related blogs like I do (thankfully).

Lots of UKC readers hadn't seen it before (including me) and the film makers new film is due out soon (as far as I know), so it was quite timely.

Hope that clears up a few questions about why we are running this great video.

Jack
 catt 11 Mar 2009

I'd pay £20 for more of that.
 TobyA 11 Mar 2009
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

> We collate a lot of interesting stuff to show our readers - not everyone subscribes to 260 climbing related blogs like I do (thankfully).

That's yeoman's work Jack!
 duncan 11 Mar 2009
In reply to duncan:

> First spotted on UKC nearly a year ago

And good to see again.

Bill Davidson 11 Mar 2009
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

I must have missed it first time round but really enjoyed watching it. I thought the music was excellent, way better than the usual rap pish on a lot of vids!
 Thrudge 11 Mar 2009
In reply to Nic:
> He's from over the border in Transylvania...

Nice one

BTW, given such a stylish ascent, the thread title should probaly read 'Natalija Gros *cruises* Histerija F8c+'. Very impressive.
 Nic 11 Mar 2009
In reply to Tony Naylor:

thanks - I was beginning to think my pearl had passed unnoticed by the swine!
 whistler 11 Mar 2009
Very refreshing! Especially after watching 'The British Grade Debate'... This actually makes you want to climb!
 AndyM-LVB 11 Mar 2009
In reply to Marc C:
>

I thought the same, that is the type of music I associate with climbing - relaxed, chilled, focused, beautiful...
Can somebody please tell me what the music is???

Great video, makes you want to get out there and climb. I always prefer to watch women climb, not for the obvious reason, I just think they make it look so much more elegant.
 Marc C 11 Mar 2009
In reply to AndyM-LVB: I posted a link further up/down the thread with my suggestion of what the music is.
 gerardlt 17 Mar 2009
In reply to AndyM-LVB:

I know this is going to sound very "me too", but I'd like to add my voice to the 'refreshing to hear some gentle music on a climbing video' chorus. Hopefully some film-makers out there will take note!

I think the music for my climbing would start off strong, lose itself somewhere in the middle, then play in reverse for a section before finally descending in a discordant crash at the end.
 Michael Ryan 17 Mar 2009
In reply to gerardlt:
> (In reply to AndyM-LVB)
>
> I know this is going to sound very "me too", but I'd like to add my voice to the 'refreshing to hear some gentle music on a climbing video' chorus. Hopefully some film-makers out there will take note!

Many already have have and some time ago.

full stottie 19 Mar 2009
In reply to AndyM-LVB:

Just seen this item. The music is as MarcC suggests, 'Simonada' by Sanja & Balkanika from a CD called Balkan 2000
 Brendan 19 Mar 2009
In reply to full stottie:
Cheers, I'm going to order a copy (I found it for sale through Amazon). Really nice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...