Loading Notifications...

COMPETITION: Win a Gibbon Slack Line

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

Your chance to win a Gibbon Classic Slack Line



Read more
Report
 Tomprusk 23:18 Thu
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Despite the photos implying people doing so, please do not highline on any of these kits. They are not designed for it and none of them are safe for a multitude of reasons.

Report
In reply to Tomprusk:

I presume they also sell kit that is suitable for highlines - something to move onto once slackline mastery is achieved?

Report
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Great freebie for someone but seriously  does anyone pay for a branded “slack line “ they are just a lorry ratchet strap with a logo  on ! 

Report
In reply to Ceiriog Chris:

> Great freebie for someone but seriously  does anyone pay for a branded “slack line “ they are just a lorry ratchet strap with a logo  on ! 

Slightly different core material, stitched loops to help with maintaining orientation,  decent padded handle, chosen length and width, all make setting up a slack line with decent tension a while lot easier than using a standard lorry ratchet, - I tried that route and learnt my lesson quickly.

You could apply your argument to just about everything in leisure outdoor equipment - there is undoubtedly an industry equivalent which can do the job - but isn't particularly nice to work with.

Post edited at 19:24
Report
 henwardian 19:32 Fri
In reply to Nempnett Thrubwell:

> You could apply your argument to just about everything in leisure outdoor equipment - there is undoubtedly an industry equivalent which can do the job - but isn't particularly nice to work with.

This is a bit of an overstatement. Where is the industry canoe, surfboard, camming device, running shoe, football, tennis racket, ......? In fact, I think the list is just about endless. For most leisure industry items I would contend that the most similar industrial object would be pretty inappropriate to non-existent.

Report
In reply to henwardian:

 There always something you could use which doesn't have leisure industry refinements.

Canoe - any small tender

Surfboard - as above just stand up.

Cam - industry would just bolt it.

Running shoe - any boot.

Football - any ball.

Tennis racket - a shovel.

All would work - but as I said the leisure alternatives are more refined. Just as a branded slack line has many advantages over a lorry ratchet. 

Report
In reply to Nempnett Thrubwell:

So you agree if someone has the wherewithal to tension a lorry strap there’s no need to spend £60 ! 

Report
 Oceanrower 21:35 Fri
In reply to Ceiriog Chris:

> So you agree if someone has the wherewithal to tension a lorry strap there’s no need to spend £60 ! 

Well, as someone who's done a bit of this but not very well, I'd say if you have to tension a 2" line it's not a slackline.

There's a clue in the name...

Report
In reply to Oceanrower:

They do come in various sizes 

Report
 Oceanrower 21:39 Fri
In reply to Ceiriog Chris:

> They do come in various sizes 

The 2" one on offer doesn't...

Report
 artif 22:46 Fri
In reply to Ceiriog Chris:

> Great freebie for someone but seriously  does anyone pay for a branded “slack line “ they are just a lorry ratchet strap with a logo  on ! 

Not quite, and I have several commercial ratchets straps to compare to. The handle on the ratchet is longer for a start and the kit came with tree savers and a free hammock.

Commercial ratchet straps of the same length were also a similar price. 

Report

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.