UKC

DESTINATION GUIDE: Winter Sun Rock: Destination - Tenerife

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 01 Feb 2012
Martita on Como marca la ley (6c+) at Arico, 4 kbSue Hazel takes us on a tour of the sunny island of Tenerife.

"The rock is volcanic rock. It feels a bit like fine granite to climb on, with varying sizes of pockets on some routes & positive large edges on others. There's slabs, overhangs and everything in between..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=4410

Skyfall 01 Feb 2012
In reply to UKC Articles:

Interesting but it would be helpful to have a little more info re numbers of routes at various grades.

Great article Sue
 BALD EAGLE 02 Feb 2012

A most excellent and informative read! Having been to Tenerife for some winter sun on a couple of occasions I can highly recommend climbing in the amazing Roques de Garcia, especially La Catedral, if you like multi-pitch routes in an incredible setting. If interested in viewing a short film I made of climbing the Via Normal on La Catedral then use the following link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyiShmjNUHA&context=C36ae257ADOEgsToPDsk...
No climbing topos for Roques de Garcia are included in the latest Tenerife Escalada guide but I believe those kind folks in Tenerife Outdoor have topos you can view!
 Simon Caldwell 02 Feb 2012
In reply to JonC:
> Interesting but it would be helpful to have a little more info re numbers of routes at various grades.

+1
 JFort 02 Feb 2012

Now that sounds like my type of winter climbing! Nice article and lovely looking venues.
pjkp 02 Feb 2012
In reply to UKC Articles: Perfect timing for this article. We are flying out at the beginning of March. Printing article as I type!! Many thanks
 purple sue 03 Feb 2012
In reply to Toreador & JonC:

The shop people at Tenerife Outdoor are very helpful. Use the Roxtar link and they should be able to furnish you with the grade breakdowns for various crags.
Cheers,
Sue
 purple sue 03 Feb 2012
For info on grade spread/no. of routes at crags, try the good old UKC crag database too. Obviously not every single route is entered in there, but it gives a good idea of what's available....
 cas54321 11 Feb 2012
In reply to purple sue:

Whereabouts is the shop please (can't find an address of their website, even which town would be useful!)? I'm flying out tomorrow and have lost my guidebook :-o
hb 11 Feb 2012

hi - the shop's in granadilla - easy 20 min drive up from the airport

when you get there take the first left (signpost mount tiede)

the shop's in a green building on the lefthand side of the road

you drive down the lefthand side of the green building

have a great holiday!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...