UKC

NEWS: Women's Climbing Symposium - This Weekend

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 01 Nov 2011
British climber Shauna Coxsey fighting her way to 8th place in the Sheffield world cup 2011, 3 kbThis Saturday (November 5th) see the first Women's Climbing Symposium at the Climbing Hangar in Liverpool. The symposium is the work of 2011 British Bouldering Champion Shauna Coxsey.

"It is a day about women's climbing, how we do it, how we can get more from it and where we would like to see...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=64758
 Roberttaylor 01 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC News: The one in heels might put a hole in the matting.
 winhill 02 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC News: just testing, seemed to drop off forums latest.
 Michael Ryan 02 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC News:

This event needs supporting, get there if you can, £20 is reasonable for a days climbing/coaching/discussion.

If I was around I'd be there.

Mick
Alex Messenger, BMC 02 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Short article by Hazel Findlay on why she thinks it's a good event:

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/News.aspx?id=4535
 Jack Graham 02 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC News: Call me crazy, but those women look Photoshopped in to me.
 Kemics 02 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC News:

that's an interesting article by Hazel Findlay. Points out some things I would never have thought about.
 gill 03 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC News: intereting idea. women shouldn't have to feel like they need to live up to pre-conceived ideals. as women's climbing symposium speaker alex puccio demonstrates perfectly here:

youtube.com/watch?v=2e3uXNOuHp4&

Lukem6 04 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC News: so, to ask a silly question is this girls only or any one, because my partner wanted to go but doesn't have anyone to go with due to her friends schedules.
In reply to lm610:

I've been told its girls only through word of mouth, however it doesn't say it anywhere. Im very interested but I'm doing a Hazel Findlay, going climbing that is!

Ring the Hangarand ask.
 pork pie girl 04 Nov 2011
In reply to gill:

i think like how she's straightened her hair and used subtle shades with her make up to really get the message across that women shouldn't comform to male expectations/ideals.. i am an expert on these things *picks nose and farts*
 Franco Cookson 04 Nov 2011
In reply to gill:

That is so bad. I've read the article by Hazel Finlay and totally agree with the points she makes and find her comments on grading very interesting. I still don't think that you can deny that this is a feminist day out, but I think climbing is one of the few places in our society, where a bit of feminism would be a good thing. It is ridiculously male-centric. Good on Shauna for getting it sorted out, but I think denying it's a feminist event is a bit daft.
absconder09 04 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC News
Would love to make this but can't fit it in cos of the journey. Do you reckon they'll do an event in the south if it's a success?
 OwenF 04 Nov 2011
In reply to Jack Graham:

Let us hope so because spotting with an infant in your other arm is very irresponsible......the climber could get really hurt!

winhill 04 Nov 2011
In reply to Franco Cookson:
> (In reply to gill)
>
> I still don't think that you can deny that this is a feminist day out, but I think climbing is one of the few places in our society, where a bit of feminism would be a good thing... I think denying it's a feminist event is a bit daft.

It depends what you mean by feminist, which is an ideology rather than a female perspective, which ain't.

If it isn't framed within a particular ideology it isn't feminist, if the presenters haven't gone to the bother of developing some complex framework of feminist ideology who cares?

Sounds more like you're saying it's aimed at women so therefore it's feminist rather than making an intelligent comment about ideology.
 beardy mike 04 Nov 2011
In reply to Franco Cookson: An event for girls does not mean its feminist. They could be having an event discussing how to lactate more effectively, it wouldn't make it a feminist event though would it, it's just an event for girls, because the points being made have been addressed specifically to the needs of the fairer sex. We could always have a males only event aswell, but then that would be sexist as we'd be doing it in response to their event.
 Franco Cookson 04 Nov 2011
In reply to mike kann:

The implication I got from the article, was that there was a 'dependence of many female climbers on their male friends'. I fail to see how you can rectify this and get women out by them selves, climbing with one another, not dependent on their male friends, without a bit of feminist chat. Like I said, I think if there was a bit of a feminist movement in climbing, to have events where they promote climbing outside of the male world, that would be great for women and great for climbing- it would certainly offer a new perspective on what were the important strands of climbing and what was just testosterone-fueled ego tripping. However, discussing such topics is undoubtedly 'political' in nature and I think calling it feminism isn't inaccurate- after all it's in reaction to to a currently quite sexist community. I don't know why 'feminism' has such negative connotations, it's a good thing if in response to an injustice or imbalance.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...