UKC

AC (Acromioclavicular) joint injury

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tigger 22 Jun 2021

About 3 to 3 1/2 years ago I had a horendous crack in shoulder whilst climbing. Over the following months I saw 3 supposedly good physiotherapists. One basically did nothing, the next pointed out tight pectoral muscles and the 3rd diagnosed shoulder impingement. So I duly followed a rehab routine, only I've never managed to get the shoulder back to 100% and there has often been underlying pain/tightness.

I finally got myself to an Osteopath who thinks I seperated my AC joint (probably grade 1, maybe grade 2, though I'm just guessing). This is evident through one clavical sitting higher than the other.

My main concern is that I've damaged the healing ligaments further whilst they were healing closer to the time of the injury (due to incorrect diagnosis and contining to climb).

I'm hoping he'll be able to help me sort it out, but for peace of mind and further information, has anyone done similar with on-going/long term issue and have you managed to recover fully?

Thanks

Post edited at 06:44
 monkey man 22 Jun 2021
In reply to Tigger:

Yes, I had surgery in the end but more for pain in other aspects of life (also higher grade). Physio is the key to keep rest of shoulder strong. Even now years down the line it is noticeable if I get weak 

OP Tigger 22 Jun 2021
In reply to monkey man:

What was the surgery if you don't mind me asking? I thought the way of fixing an AC joint is basically to pin/fuse it? Which doesn't sound great for climbing prospects tbh.

Post edited at 06:33
 monkey man 22 Jun 2021
In reply to Tigger:

I had an excision arthroplasty. No issues climbing now! 

JCurrie 22 Jun 2021
In reply to Tigger:

I did my right AC in a skiing accident, fully type 2. No surgery but a lot of rest followed by rehab so my experience will be different to yours.

I am climbing harder now than I ever had done prior to the injury. I have grown fond of the chip on my shoulder.

OP Tigger 22 Jun 2021
In reply to JCurrie:

Thanks, did you find and exercises that helped more than others? I'm just letting my Osteopath do his thing atm as I'd rather not interfere with his work. But I'm interested in knowing what strengthing exercises to do in the future. There's a lot of information out there and a lot of it focuses on rehabilitation right after the injury, not so much on what to do as a good up-keep/maintenance routine.

Post edited at 08:26
 JCurrie 22 Jun 2021
In reply to Tigger
I used a variety of theraband exercises that work the shoulder in each direction. Raises from the side, straight out and up were particularly good. I’d recommend always to speak to a professional first though  

biscuit 22 Jun 2021
In reply to Tigger:

A grade 1 or 2 is not a separation. Doing nothing is not bad advice (for a week or two to let it settle) but then it must be built back up to previous levels or beyond if it's likely to happen again. 

They heal well and often do so on their own - just like an ankle sprain. But just like ankle sprains they can leave residual issues if not rehabbed properly.

A true separation could cause future complications if not looked at properly. But we are also not symmetrical and often have one side higher than the other, one leg longer than the other etc. It is not going to be able to be manipulated back into place.

A good osteo is as good as a good physio or a good chiro. If any of those are asking you to come back every week/fortnight to have things put back into place or re-aligned then leg it. If they're giving advice based around what you can do to help yourself, education, re-assurance and exercises based around what you want to do with the shoulder then all good.

These are all general comments. I haven't assessed you, obviously. 

OP Tigger 22 Jun 2021
In reply to biscuit:

'Separated' was my terminology not theirs tbf (still learning). As for resting that would have been ideal when I did it 3 years ago, but I wasn't told that resting it was necessary at the time.

The first physio diagnosed intercostal muscle tightness in my back I think, but told me to continue as normal. And my shoulder has never been right since.

I'm just trying to get as much info as possible atm.

Post edited at 12:46

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...