UKC

Adventure hub, Bamford. What's it like.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 marktrik 05 Feb 2020

I see that Adventure hub (Bamford, Derbyshire) has been open for a couple of months now. I live just over the hill so going to pay it a visit very soon.

Anyone been ? What's it like ?

grump gnome 05 Feb 2020
In reply to marktrik:

following

In reply to marktrik:

It could be a really useful resource for those of us that live or work in the valley but only if they sort out the damp problem. I went twice when it first opened but all the wooden holds (moon board and campus rungs) were too damp to hold and a lot of the plastic ones in places too. There is no insulation in the roof and it's not sealed so as soon as there is any moisture in the air it comes straight in and condenses on the holds. I thought that the route setting was good and they made good use of the limited space.

In reply to marktrik:

Nice people, and I really like the principle, but I think it’s got too much wall in too little space.  There’s too much attention needed to people walking underneath you. I think it would have been more useful to have system and training boards, less wall and more space. Damp is also a problem.

i had high hopes as it’s only 15 minutes from home, but I’m still calling into the Derby Climbing Unit, or driving in to the Climbing Works.

ChrisJD 05 Feb 2020
In reply to marktrik:

I've been going once a week recently as I live locally (5 mins drive).

Really good for a quick session, for me and my lads anyway.

The smaller room out back can get a bit greasy with damp, but the main room is good and dry.

Post edited at 20:10
OP marktrik 11 Feb 2020
In reply to marktrik:

Thanks for all the info, looks like i will drop in at some point and have a look round/climb.

Judging by the location there is a lot of competition, not just the obvious of all the outside potential (weather permitting) but with Sheffield just over the hill.... 

looks like this will be a place for locals and passer bys. 

OP marktrik 28 Feb 2020
In reply to marktrik:

I went there today for the first time. 

Found it to have a friendly, relaxed atmosphere and a nice place to be.

Ye the bouldering area is small and I could see how u could be thinking about other climbers while your climbing but with a bit of common sense and respecting each other this should be ok. I do find that at all bouldering places u have to look out for other climbers. We went in the day time and there was only one other person in. 

The routes are set really well and use the space well, often taking in a small traverse before going up.

I didn't notice any moisture in the first bouldering area and it was snowing/raining outside. Didn't climb in the moon board room so can't comment on that.

Already have some projects there so will be returning. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...