UKC

Always out of reach for the smaller climber

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kirkpalmer63 17 Jan 2021

I agree entirely with the issue of height,pardon the pun.There are many scenarios, however it should not be impossible to marry both tall and small climbers.simply have intermediate holds,which would be marked on the grade as only for a certain  people between a certain range of height. Anyone taller could not use the particular holds and anyone smaller could be allowed to additional holds screwed in temporarily. Obviously this could go on for ever and the route setter  will be the only one in the firing line. Let's all remember ultimately this is recreational sport albeit it can allow you to practice for certain types of outdoor climbs. The current crisis should put the arguement of route setting firmly where it should be over a coffee after you need an excuse for not being able to get to the top of a climb,we all need a crutch from time to time and where would we be without the route setter, no where as the wall would have no holds.

rachelpearce01 17 Jan 2021
In reply to Kirkpalmer63:

Eh ?

MischaHY 17 Jan 2021
In reply to rachelpearce01:

I think this was intended as a response to the recent news article on inclusive route setting.

OP Kirkpalmer63 18 Jan 2021
In reply to MischaHY:

You are correct but my device would not connect to it so had to write my own piece.

alx 18 Jan 2021

Had you thought that you might excuse the pun be accused of creating a two tiered system?

I would argue that a lack of ability is stopping you getting up a route?

The UK is stuffed full of very talented route setters and I've seen kids smashing up the hardest blocs and circuits at walls across the country so to say that short people aren't being catered to is hogwash.

Some of the best climbers in the world aren't very tall. For example Alex Megos is 5ft5, Shaun Mcall 5.7. Rustam Gelmanov is 5.6. There are tons more and I have friends who are pretty short and climb so much harder than I ever will.

I'm sorry I think your argument is not about inclusive routesetting but about a lack of your own abilities.

McHeath 18 Jan 2021

You forgot to mention you're a robot. 

gravy 18 Jan 2021
In reply to McHeath:

Not a very smart robot at that - I think the one that called me to say unscrupulous people had taken over my BT broadband managed better.

Post edited at 22:05

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...