UKC

Another Beastmaker mounting thread

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jrclimber 08 Jan 2019

Hey guys, 

I'm aware there have been a few of these mounting threads over the years but  I was hoping I could get some advice and hopefully enlighten a few other clueless people down the line. 

I've got plaster walls and therefore will be attaching a backboard to studs and board to backboard. I've sorted my backboard now. But I'm aware that it will need to be nice and secure. Can someone offer me advice on how many screws to use and what size screw to use? My backboard is 18mm in depth. 

Thanks in advance!

ianstevens 08 Jan 2019
In reply to jrclimber:

> Hey guys, 

> I'm aware there have been a few of these mounting threads over the years but  I was hoping I could get some advice and hopefully enlighten a few other clueless people down the line. 

> I've got plaster walls and therefore will be attaching a backboard to studs and board to backboard. I've sorted my backboard now. But I'm aware that it will need to be nice and secure. Can someone offer me advice on how many screws to use and what size screw to use? My backboard is 18mm in depth. 

> Thanks in advance!

1) As many as you can get on, but a minimum of 6 (based on the fact the BM is supplied with 6)

2) As long as possible so that they don't stick through the other side of the well.

Personally I'd just get a set of screws that matches those supplied with the BM. Clearly the manufacturer thinks that will hold the board up, so I'd go with that. 

jkarran 08 Jan 2019
In reply to jrclimber:

2x 5mm screws near the top of the backboard nicely tightened down 40+mm into the studs (accounting for the plaster/board/laths) would do the job. I'd put 4 in to be thorough and prevent it working loose especially if you have thick lath and plaster which will allow the screws to bend and tear down through the wood grain if overloaded. Screws are cheap and making good 4 or 6 holes is as easy as 2.

In addition to the 18mm board budget on +15mm for plasterboard, +25mm if passing through lath and plaster. Aim to get 40+mm of thread into the stud.

jk

GrantM 08 Jan 2019
In reply to jrclimber:

I used 4.5x75mm decking screws, put 8 into the studs above a door frame. I remember checking out this video at the time:

youtube.com/watch?v=t5w_zETZzYk&

I only found 2 studs above the door so I put 4 screws in each, been using it since May with no issues.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...