UKC

Anyone been to the Inverness climbing wall?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ySoCereal 20 Jul 2019

I'm new to climbing and this is the closest indoor wall for me, was curious if they are setup for solo use of the main walls (not bouldering walls). Ie auto belay or can you top rope solo? 

Again I'm new to this and don't know anyone to climb with and prefer to go it solo til I get some experience and meet people. Would obviously get instruction for the first time which I believe is necessary anyway. 

Cheers

Post edited at 19:26
 Neil Williams 20 Jul 2019
In reply to ySoCereal:

I doubt they allow roped soloing, I never heard of a wall that did.

ySoCereal 20 Jul 2019
In reply to Neil Williams:

How do people solo on indoor climbing walls without an auto belay? As I actually tried climbing about 15 years ago when Aviemore had it's own indoor wall and was quickly put off as I'm a very quiet guy socially and had nobody to climb with... and bouldering quickly lost it's charm as it was roped climbing on high walls I wanted to do.  

Neil Williams 20 Jul 2019
In reply to ySoCereal:

> How do people solo on indoor climbing walls without an auto belay?

You don't, if you want to climb alone you boulder (or use autos where fitted).

Gav_92 25 Jul 2019
In reply to ySoCereal:

Inverness bouldering wall has the problems reset relatively frequently so they remain interesting.

I'm pretty much new to climbing so cant pass on much info but if your looking for someone to go to the wall with send me a message

ySoCereal 27 Jul 2019
In reply to Gav_92:

Cheers bud, will be in touch at some point, currently without car - going to be a few weeks without it so sticking to Aviemore for now. 

Ian Jones 27 Jul 2019
In reply to ySoCereal:

Only been there once. I think there was some auto belays there. You can easily call them to find out. The bouldering was very limited in my view but then I don't really get the bouldering thing.

scragrock 28 Jul 2019
In reply to Ian Jones:

I know INV Wall very well( I set the boulder wall for years ).

No auto belays and unlikely ever to be any due to lack of space.

No rope solo or rope ascension unless ticked off by management ( route setting course e.g )

im afraid you are going to have to stick to the boulder wall which has already been highlighted as limited and it is.

But it’s better than nothing on a rainy day( if it’s open, please check before you travel ) it will improve your climbing and you never know you might meet another likeminded shy person😁.

Good luck

jpicksley 29 Jul 2019
In reply to ySoCereal:

Hi - once you're mobile there is also a wall at Aberlour (http://www.climbscotland.net/where-to-go/find-an-indoor-climbing-wall/speys...). It has 1 auto-belay, no dedicated bouldering and I doubt very much that they will allow roped soloing (never seen anyone roped soloing at any wall I've been too).

Moray Mountaineering Club go there on and off over the summer and most weeks through the winter (as well as Lossie RAF wall and very occasionally Inverness). They're a decent bunch and welcome new members (I'm not actually a member (!) but I do climb with some of them on and off). Like them on facebook and they put on where they're climbing each week (during the week, generally not weekends).

Hope you get yourself sorted out.

Cheers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...