UKC

Becoming a freelance routesetter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CragRat11 22 Mar 2019

I'd really appreciate hearing people's thoughts on picking up some extra work as a freelance routesetter. 
I run my own business currently, and though the work I do can pay well it is sporadic and seasonal. Things tend to be busy through and in to the back end of the summer then drop off significantly in Jan, Feb, March. I have a young family to support so would like to find something that helps to even out our income through the year. I've done a lot of physical work in the past, labouring, landscaping, trailbuilding etc and I miss that side of things.
I've also done a lot of work at height on ropes for my other business, do lots of creative work and have climbed for 20 years or more up to about 7b indoors. I'd imagine I would start with lead wall setting.
I know there is some scope to get a bit of routesetting work at my local wall, and wondered if I might be able to pick work up further afield during the winter?
From what I gather I just need to achieve the RSA L2 qual to get started and don't need IRATA?
Are there tons of routesetters working in the UK currently and will there be lots of competition?
Is it a really hard industry to get in to (ie - cliquey)?

Any thoughts would be great. Many thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...