UKC

Best training walls around Newcastle?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ciro 15 Jan 2018

Looks like I might be relocating to Newcastle for a six month contract, where do people recommend for training?

neuromancer 16 Jan 2018
In reply to Ciro:

Sunderland wall for leading, Valley in ouseburn for bouldering.

Newcastle climbing centre is just below average at both, AND has beyond retarded rope/leading rules.

Post edited at 07:59
 remus Global Crag Moderator 16 Jan 2018
In reply to Ciro:

Only been once but the Valley seemed to have the basis for a really good training area. The main bouldering area is on the first floor and the training area is completely separated on the basement level.

It looked to have an excellent woody, fingerboard and campus board setup. There's a traversing wall that might be ok for getting a pump on, but it's not very high so not as good as a proper circuit board imo. Oh and the training area is only about 1/3rd full at the moment! Apparently they're gonna flesh it out further when there's some more money in the coffers.

Post edited at 08:40
OP Ciro 16 Jan 2018
In reply to Ciro:

Thanks guys, sounds like the valley will be my first port of call. I see they have pre-work opening times too so sounds ideal

Tim Rodgers 16 Jan 2018
In reply to Ciro:

Hey, I would add if you are near the city centre and are happy to devise your own problems then the Eldon/Berghaus wall (inside Intu Eldon Square) is a great extensive wall all on bendcrete so ideal if you are wanting to train for outside.  There is a facebook group with photos etc - msg me for info. 

OP Ciro 16 Jan 2018
In reply to Tim Rodgers:

Thanks Tim, interesting... I'll keep it in mind and check it out. Having been lucky enough to spend most of the last four years climbing full time on rock, I should probably concentrate on strength and conditioning while I'm working - but depending on the weather and how well I do at finding weekend partners, it might be good to play around on more rock-like surface every so often. Haven't climbed on bendcrete in a long time!

Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 16 Jan 2018
In reply to Ciro:

It's worth noting that climbnewcastle run two centres, The Pool (the original centre) and The Valley (The new place which 5 mins away). Pay for entry to one and you can visit both. Two for one!

Sunderland Wall has over 150 routes up to 23m high for leading. The bouldering wall has been massivley improved recently too.  

Post edited at 16:34

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...