UKC

Bike thefts at The Westway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tom_cart 03 Sep 2012
A warning to westway-goers.

Having locked my bike to the very closest rack to the right of the main entrance tonight, i left t find the front wheel nicked.

Yes I could have locked the front to the back, but who knew there was money to be made from components that have done a good few thousand miles!

More importantly for everyone else, THERE IS NO CCTV ON THE RACKS TO THE RIGHT OF THE ENTRANCE!

The duty manager told me that if users of the wall acted collectively to demand some more secure storage then it might happen, I'm going to get in touch with the management and if there is interest I'll post the response here (Westway mgmt if you're there feel free to pre-empt.)

Humanity, I'm not angry, just disappointed.
 rallymania 03 Sep 2012
In reply to tom_cart:

gutted for you mate

there was a spate of similar thefts at my local wall, one of my pals lost front forks (it's actually quite simple to remove with modern bikes) and another i think lost his disk brakes...

i reckon someone got a nice bike out of all the quality bits they nicked from there

shootings to good for 'em!
OP tom_cart 03 Sep 2012
In reply to rallymania:

Most concerned that others don't find themselves in the same situation.

It doesnt seem like a huge job to put a more secure cage in, be it outside or (as the castle does) through the centre.
 nufkin 03 Sep 2012
In reply to tom_cart:

They've had several bikes nicked from there - I suppose people have twigged that there's no CCTV coverage, and the reception staff and security aren't always watching.
I wonder what they mean by 'acting collectively'? Perhaps a lynching or two.
OP tom_cart 03 Sep 2012
In reply to nufkin:

Funnily enough there was a girl in at the same time as me reporting a theft of her bag while she wasn't looking. If others have had the same, do let me know. The staff didn't seem surprised.

As for the response, I'm English so the only appropriate course of action seems to be a Strongly Worded Letter...
 phildavies84 04 Sep 2012
In reply to tom_cart: Thanks for the heads up. I've been climbing there for a few years and never heard of any problems. Time to start double locking i suppose
 W3 04 Sep 2012
In reply to tom_cart:
Thanks for the warning Tom.

What I find frustrating is that the staff and those working in the shop get to take their bikes and store them inside. So they're well aware of the problems of bike security.

nufkin 04 Sep 2012
In reply to tom_cart:

There do seem to be local scallies who hang around sometimes, and I wouldn't deliberately leave stuff lying around in the changing rooms, but through in the climbing area I usually assume other punters are trustworthy and that everything will be safe enough.
I'll think I'll bring up the bike parking next time I'm chatting to one of the climbing DMs.
 kipman725 04 Sep 2012
In reply to tom_cart:

I have had friends had things stolen from the climbing area (Harnesses) I usually cover my stuff with a sweat soaked tee shirt which seems to deter theft.
 ClimberEd 04 Sep 2012
In reply to tom_cart:

Disappointing.

I've always found the WW a very trustworthy place, I've climbed there for 10 years and always had kit handed in I've left around or whatever.

( I have however had wheels nicked in Notting Hill)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...