UKC

Blackpool Outside Walls Open

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stuart58 16 Apr 2013
The towers are now open

Mon to Fri 6pm to 9pm

Sun Sat 10-30 am to 4-30pm

hopefiil till end of October
 The Lemming 16 Apr 2013
In reply to stuart58:

And how much, please?
Removed User 16 Apr 2013
In reply to stuart58: How much ? Whats the sketch with registering etc.. . .?
OP stuart58 16 Apr 2013
In reply to The Lemming: blackpool resident £4-40p non res £5-40
students and under 16's £3-80p

Taster sessions are £7-00
OP stuart58 16 Apr 2013
In reply to Removed UserROBBIE YDG: hi you need to complete an induction which costs the evening price. you can bring 2 novices who you are responsible for but they cant belay.
Removed User 16 Apr 2013
In reply to stuart58: What about if you hold MIA / SPA etc ?
OP stuart58 16 Apr 2013
In reply to Removed UserROBBIE YDG: evidence needed still need quick induction paperwork and spot check. its for our risk assessment and insurance at the mo. nothing to serious. it just proves youve gone through the process i susppose
Removed User 16 Apr 2013
In reply to stuart58: Yeah that's great wouldn't expect anything else. Does that effect group size can work with there though ?? Thanks for quick responses regards
OP stuart58 16 Apr 2013
In reply to Removed UserROBBIE YDG: i think its six if book in a group witrh spa or cwa or mia as an inducted climber without quals its 2 and as I said before they cant belay . Best too check at the Stanley Park reception . I work here at wall but some things are changing and the reception have it written down ok i'll find out more specific rules if you want etc
Removed User 16 Apr 2013
In reply to stuart58: Might pop round in a bit or come Thursday night, regards
 The Lemming 16 Apr 2013
In reply to stuart58:
> (In reply to The Lemming) blackpool resident £4-40p non res £5-40

Per day or per hour?
OP stuart58 16 Apr 2013
In reply to The Lemming: per day or evening so earlier your here the more time you get for your money
 The Lemming 16 Apr 2013
In reply to stuart58:

I have not been to Stanley Park in years.

They missed a fantastic opportunity to put in a 10 meter wall but bottled out. Penny pinching council gits, especially as so much hard work went into planning and preparation.

Personally, I find the lead wall too small to even think about bothering to go down, especially when Preston is so close.
 The Lemming 16 Apr 2013
In reply to stuart58:
> (In reply to The Lemming) per day or evening so earlier your here the more time you get for your money

This is a daft question, but seeing as the walls are so close to the prom, do I have to consider disinfecting my ropes and kit from the salty air and possible spray?

What sort of corrosion does the wall suffer long term with being so close to the sea?
OP stuart58 16 Apr 2013
In reply to The Lemming: these are the outside walls im talking about.
OP stuart58 16 Apr 2013
In reply to The Lemming: i dont think one day wiil affect your gear. most the gear on the lead walls is stainless an has been changed or is in the process of being changed. are u from blackpool
 The Lemming 16 Apr 2013
In reply to stuart58:

I is from Blackpool and one of the very first to walk through the doors on Opening Day all those years ago.

I went down a few years ago, and some of the old faces were still there. Bob still there?
Removed User 16 Apr 2013
In reply to stuart58: Last question what does the induction consist of and how long as I might have a few partners lean to come along in next few days .? Regards
OP stuart58 17 Apr 2013
In reply to Removed UserROBBIE YDG: ok need to be seen to be competent in belaying and lowering etc. if you want lead cliimbing that will take abit longer. u can only lead climb using your ropes. the council doesnt hire out equipment. only ropes for top roping !!!

upto half an hour for an induction if needed !!!

ensure you bring your own kit ie harness, belay plate and qds
 pork pie girl 17 Apr 2013
In reply to stuart58: my other half's parents live in blackpool so we come over for visits quite a bit... what are the grades on the lead wall?
 The Lemming 17 Apr 2013
In reply to pork pie girl:
> what are the grades on the lead wall?

Don't get too excited as the wall is only about 7-8 meters high and in truth are just high boulder problems.

If bouldering is your thing then Blackpool wall is perfect for training. But if you are after leading indoor routes then Preston's Westview is the place to go.
 wushu 17 Apr 2013
In reply to pork pie girl:

If you're wondering about grades on the climbing towers which are 20m high. They range from f4-f8c I think. Quite a bit of stuff in the 6a-7b range.
 wilkie14c 17 Apr 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
Are you on about the Stanley Park lead walls? Not so new now but maybe 4 years old, in a horseshoe at the bottom of the main hall, certainly an improvement over the old bencrete upstairs wall. There are grades from easy slab type routes with a belay platform at the top to stupidly overhanging stuff I cant get near. The old upstairs climbing wall is now the boudlering room and maybe 5 times bigger than it used to be.
OP stuart58 17 Apr 2013
In reply to The Lemming: can get this sorted I started this thread about the outside towers near the football ground they are 20 m high range from some 3 4 and 6a 6c uphold 7
 wilkie14c 17 Apr 2013
In reply to stuart58: I've done the BLACKPOOL lettered right hand route and it was nails, had to dog the top third. Be good to get back down there
OP stuart58 25 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c: bump
 Lord_ash2000 25 Apr 2013
In reply to stuart58: Oh good, I'm moving back to Blackpool soon and need to do routes.
McGuire91 26 Apr 2013
In reply to stuart58: Towers are looking good. Been heading down most nights last two weeks. Glad to see rainy blackpool being generous with the weather. If you've not been down yet, I'd highly recommend giving it a smash
OP stuart58 02 May 2013
In reply to McGuire91: bump
OP stuart58 08 May 2013
In reply to stuart58: bump
OP stuart58 12 May 2013
In reply to stuart58: we are open today sunday
 bluebealach 12 May 2013
In reply to stuart58: All you guys need is some decent weather!!

winhill 12 May 2013
In reply to stuart58:

the film link on sportblackpool is dead now, has it been reposted?

with the wet weather do people tend to use a lot of chalk?

the guy here seems to have taken up a bucket:

http://drytoolinguk.com/images/P9171470.JPG
 The Lemming 12 May 2013
In reply to winhill:

> with the wet weather do people tend to use a lot of chalk?
>

No, we just use the M55.
OP stuart58 16 May 2013
In reply to stuart58: weather here at towers really sunny we are open tonite thursday
OP stuart58 24 May 2013
In reply to stuart58: we are open tonite friday 24th
OP stuart58 26 May 2013
In reply to stuart58: we are open today sunday its red hot here
OP stuart58 28 May 2013
In reply to stuart58: we are open tonite tuesday but abit windy lol
OP stuart58 30 May 2013
In reply to stuart58: we are open tonite as usual Thursday
OP stuart58 31 May 2013
In reply to stuart58: open tonite now till 9-00 pm its sunny
OP stuart58 02 Jun 2013
In reply to stuart58: we are open today all day till 4-30
OP stuart58 04 Jun 2013
In reply to stuart58: tuesday we are open tonite
 The Lemming 04 Jun 2013
In reply to stuart58:

I think you're flogging a dead horse.

Who's going to travel to Blackpool to play on two concrete towers when Anglezark, Wiloton,1,2,3,4 and, Warton and Trowbarrow are within an hour's reach?
 Lord_ash2000 04 Jun 2013
In reply to The Lemming: To be fair, I'm thinking of going as I'm 10 mins walk away but I haven't got a belayer. Almost no one in Blackpool can climb the overhang routes on the towers and it's surprisingly hard work to get 2 of them together at the same time to go climb together. Anyone who's any good around here only really boulders.
OP stuart58 04 Jun 2013
In reply to The Lemming: why are you so negative some people don't have transport. We have people down here young students who cant get to the quarry's. I'm trying to promote the place. Be helpful or don't comment please
OP stuart58 06 Jun 2013
In reply to stuart58: open tonite and good weather if you cant get out to crags why not climb here
 sbc23 06 Jun 2013
In reply to stuart58:

(Having sucessfully avoided climbing walls for about 10years) :

Can I bring some mates and teach them to belay?
And then you guys can assess them as competent so they can belay me?
Or are there courses and stuff involved?

If it's all simple, I'll give this a shot. I've been driving past them for the last year and just assumed they were shut.

If not, Denham it is

Steve

OP stuart58 07 Jun 2013
In reply to sbc23: if come down we are open tonite friday and we can have a chat?
 sbc23 07 Jun 2013
In reply to stuart58:

Thanks. I'm climbing in Wales this weekend, but will make it down early next week to see how it works.

Steve

OP stuart58 11 Jun 2013
In reply to stuart58: open tuesday
OP stuart58 18 Jun 2013
In reply to stuart58: open tonite tuesday
OP stuart58 21 Jun 2013
In reply to stuart58: open tonite Friday 6 till 9 pm sunny and warm here

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...