UKC

Bolton one - for kids

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
MikeMarcus 03 Nov 2018

Does anyone have any advice whether Bolton One climbing wall at the university is suitable for a 10 year old kid who likes climbing but isn’t very good?

I phoned up and they said it was suitable for kids, but they also said the lowest grade was 5.  She’s only got little arms and she can mange about 3+/4 or a V0 boulder problem if it isn’t very reachy.

Roger Vickers 09 Nov 2018
In reply to MikeMarcus:

Boulder uk at Walton Summit is a bouldering centre with a kids wall. Lots of instructional advice and nice coffee for Dads and Mums. Check it out on Google.

teapot 10 Nov 2018
In reply to MikeMarcus:

I take groups climbing there, but from 13/14 years. I expect she would find something to go at especially if you climb using all the holds.

Personally I would recommend Boulder UK as mentioned above(Preston), which is 20 mins from Bolton and avoids graffic of The Depot.

The Depot (near Trafford Centre) is a great option too. It has auto belays with plenty in the 3-5 range. My daughters ages 5 and 9 love it there. Plus it has loads of green spot problems throughout the centre which finish below full height and my daughters can do most. My eldest who is not great with heights also likes to try the whites (lowest grade adult problems, and has got up a few, but tends to stop one move below the top as they go to full height.)

MikeMarcus 12 Nov 2018
In reply to teapot:

I’ve been going to the Depot since it first opened. It’s great there. Does BUK have something similar to the green problems at the Depot?

David55 12 Nov 2018
In reply to MikeMarcus:

Rockover is worth a try, it is near Manchester Victoria so easy to go by train. Lots of good stuff for kids.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...