UKC

bouldering on my ceiling?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi ,I'm considering fixing 18mm ply boulder wall directly to the above exposed 10''x 2''floor joists in my 6' 6'' high basement. does anyone do this or will it pull my house down? most home walls seem to be angled off the floor -taking most of the weight. with my limited ceiling height I m looking at a lot of roof climbing but would the weight of the wall cause the floor joists above to sag? reckon a structural engineer would say its a bad idea but wondering if anyones tried it?
 Oceanrower 10 Nov 2013
In reply to chanandler bong: Can't see a problem really. A sheet of 18mm ply weighs about 35 kg so no different to putting a fridge, say, on the floor above. If a few sheets of ply brings your house down, you've got more problems than your bouldering!
 browndog33 10 Nov 2013
In reply to chanandler bong: No it will be OK.
Mark (joiner).
 Jimbo C 10 Nov 2013
In reply to chanandler bong:

It'll be reet. They hold your weight when your above them, so they'll hold your weight when you're below them. Plus the ply will spread the load nicely. 10" x 2" joists are massive - new timber in that depth is practically unheard of.
 colina 11 Nov 2013
In reply to chanandler bong: cant see it being a problem .the thing is to make it SECURE.
coach bolts would be my weapon of choice or ;possibly expanding bolts although I believe these are designed for concrete not wood .you can also buy serrated nails which don't pull out to back it up ,commonly used on decking.
guess if you could get some nuts and bolts through the floor this would be the ideal fixing but probably not feesible .
need to think it through properly don't want no accidents!
 Ben07 11 Nov 2013
In reply to colina: ya don't need. anything like that, screws will be fine. Every 300mm or so on every joist. Bomber!
In reply to Ben07: that's what I thought- load of screws straight into the joists. I only started to be concerned as no one seems to build walls on ceilings.guess training on a roof is limiting. looking at about 5 8x4ply, 200kg plus holds 20kg . 160kg plus 80kg climber. hopefully be ok spread across all the joists . thanks all
 Ben07 11 Nov 2013
In reply to chanandler bong: 10 x2 joists are so strong as fck m8. its not much weight spread over the area. Make sure you use decent screws, not no b & q cheapos.
luke obrien 11 Nov 2013
In reply to chanandler bong:

I put a length of ply on my garage roof. I think I put some support baritones behind the ply to stop it flexing. top tip - make sure you check that all your t-nuts are fine before you screw it in place, it will be a pain to change them over if any of them are threaded once it's all screwed in.
luke obrien 11 Nov 2013
In reply to chanandler bong: batons not baritones! I guess baritones would be amusing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...