UKC

Bouldering session at an old school wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 samatristudios 31 Mar 2020

youtube.com/watch?v=liKH7cOwShM&

Thought people could use some extra climbing content to watch at the moment. It tortured me to edit this just as much as it will torture you all to watch it

The last session I had before this C virus business and also the last session we managed to get before this wall is closed forever!

Wall in Carlisle, Cumbria, UK.

Grades (In order): Big Dyno - 7a+ Double Dyno - 7a Crimp Ladder 1 - 7b Pocket Traverse - 6c+ The Bachar Ladder - 7a+ Crimp Ladder Direct - 7a Arete Start Crimp Ladder - 7a Inside Arete Start Crimp Ladder - 7a+ Big Campus - 7b

Lemony 31 Mar 2020
In reply to samatristudios:

The first place I ever climbed. Somehow it doesn't seem right to have proper mats rather than a couple of clapped out old blue gym pads on the solid floor.

Good effort, really nicely edited video.

In reply to Lemony:

Yeah that was when it was properly old school!

In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Cheers!

JCurrie 31 Mar 2020

Ace! Cool video and brought back some long forgotten memories.

That boulder cave didn’t exist when I first climbed there. Just a few moulded holds on the underside of the slab and big roof. There were blue crash mats that a mate used to do a full somersault onto from the big ledge. He also used to do what he called a reverse reverse mantel onto the ledge - hanging facing out then going onto the ledge feet first.

Bloody hell I sound old.

Thanks for sharing 

Jase

In reply to JCurrie:

Aye I've only ever known the cave to be there. Surprises me to learn that it hasn't always been there actually!

That being said there are some old photos of Dan Varian and Shauna Coxsey at an original Cumbrian Bouldering league competition in this wall which is cool and the photos were taken I think before I was born so the wall must be fairly old

Glad you liked the throwback

Sam

goose299 01 Apr 2020

Shauna Coxsey can’t be even 30 yet so the photo’s can’t be that old. 
 Edit: she’s only 27

Post edited at 08:12

I call into Eden Rock when I’m passing, where was this wall, why is it closing, what are they doing with the panels?

cheers Paul

Lemony 01 Apr 2020

Well the Jack Wolfskin Wall (the textured panels version) must have gone in in the mid 90s. My dad was very involved in that from the council end and I can remember the opening party. The bouldering was well before that.

JCurrie 01 Apr 2020
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

It is in the Sands Centre. Opened in 87/88 with just the brieze block wall then a good while after I'd left Carlisle to go to uni a panelled lead wall went in at the right hand side and the boulder wall that is in the film went into the left hand side.

J

Lemony 01 Apr 2020
In reply to JCurrie:

I thought the Bouldering pre-dated the wolfskin wall but I may be misremembering, I was only about 10.

JCurrie 01 Apr 2020
In reply to Lemony:

Aye, could easily be me who is misremembering...

petegunn 01 Apr 2020
In reply to Lemony:

Part of the Jack Wolfskin wall was still there until 2015! A new section from Entre Prize costing £35k was added in November 2015. Carlisle council and GLL are currently redeveloping the centre to a tune of £26m! but the wall is going to be scrapped along with the squash courts and replaced with two swimming pools, which Carlisle doesn't really need. 

I did run a campaign to save the wall and had several meetings with the council. There was an online petition also:

https://www.change.org/p/carlisle-council-save-carlisle-climbing-wall

The wall now is probably gonna go in the skip even though they said they may give it to Eden Rock. The building work continues even now!    

In reply to petegunn:

That featured wall would fit in nicely at Eden Rock!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...