UKC

Building a crack to hand/ foot jam

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Fintân 20 Feb 2019

Any ideas on the material you could use to build a crack (3m) that you could jam up? I was thinking of using a base of wood and then adding a layer on top.

ashtond6 21 Feb 2019
In reply to Fintân:

Don't cover it, Just use wood or you will hurt your skin

Rick Graham 21 Feb 2019
In reply to ashtond6:

I made one out of wood, surprisingly slippy so good for technique and strength building.

Use big nails or screws as any flex whatsoever makes it almost impossible to hang from.

You could try some deck paint or mix some sand into the paint but it will be a real skin ripper .

jkarran 21 Feb 2019
In reply to Fintân:

A pair of 8x2, spaced apart with threaded rods so you can adjust the width and flare. You'll probably want some ply cheeks either side so you can work different techniques and a board at the back (fixed one side only so you can't cheat. The inner surface can be sculpted and the corners rounded with an angle grinder/plane then the splinters removed with sandpaper or a blowtorch.

jk

myrddinmuse 21 Feb 2019
In reply to Fintân:

I'd be very interested to see how it goes! I'm tempted to try and build one of these in the garden come summer.

In reply to Fintân:

I don’t know if they’re on the market yet, but I heard the Wideboyz were possibly retailing some of their own designs

pizza 02 Mar 2019
In reply to Fintân:

use two lengths of skirting board with thinner pieces of wood in between and bolt together make sure the curved edge is where your hand slides over when pulling out

Tom Last 03 Mar 2019
In reply to Fintân:

Use 2x8 joined/spaces with carriage bolts as suggested above. Anything thinner may flex a bit too much. 

Also worth bearing in mind that a 3m  perfect hand crack will become very easy very quickly. I’ve got one and I can basically lap it all session as I’m so familiar with it. Great for endurance but ltd for technique once you’ve got the hang of it. My recommendation would be that while you’re at it, you add a 3rd length of 2x8 side by side with the land crack and space it for fingers/ring locks and that will pretty much always be hard, but the hands with serve as a bit of a warm up for your elbows.

Cheers,

Tom

nikoid 03 Mar 2019
In reply to Fintân:

I saw a wideboyz designed handjam fixture at the wall the other day. It was lined with a vinyl like material which felt ok. The texture reminded me of the stuff they used for vinyl rooves on cars years ago. Think mark 3 cortina! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...