UKC

Chalk bag and smartphone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Does anyone know of a chalk bag that will fit a smartphone in an external zip pocket (with a brush holder too)?

I'm looking for one I can use for indoor training so I can connect my phone to bluetooth earphones. A large boulder bucket feels like overkill as I just need something that'll take a chalk ball, brush and phone.

Cheers

dilatory 20 May 2019
In reply to FunesTheMemorious:

If they're bluetooth headphones can you not just leave your phone on floor? 

In reply to dilatory:

That's what I do at the moment, would just be a tad more convenient if I could stick it in a bag

Ben_Climber 20 May 2019

What size phone have you got?

If you have one of the massive tablet like ones you might struggle.

In reply to Ben_Climber:

A Samsung Galaxy A3 (135 x 68mm) - on the smaller side of smart phones these days I think

Jenny C 20 May 2019

Mine fits into a krieg bag easily, but it's a compact phone... 

Post edited at 12:30
In reply to Jenny C:

Thanks Jenny, will take a look

krikoman 20 May 2019

chalk!?!?

In reply to krikoman:

All the mod cons 

Isn't there a risk that gunky chalk dust might bung up your phones' various sockets?

balmybaldwin 20 May 2019

Not sure a phone would be very comfortable to fall on.

Martin W 20 May 2019
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Or that the phone would enjoy/survive the experience.

Naechi 20 May 2019

Mammut multipitch chalkbag - https://www.mammut.com/uk/en/p/2050-00881-0001/multipitch-chalk-bag/ would probably take it. £30 but it's like a mini route sack. 

I've just ordered a military style molle pouch for mine - the phone is small enough but in its metal case it's not...

Stroppy 20 May 2019
In reply to Naechi:

+1

My partner uses this, for everything other than chalk (sun cream, lip balm, gloves, hat, food, inhalers...). She has a relatively big Huawei phone that fits in the zip pocket no problem.

The elastic cord at the bottom has even been used to hold a belay jacket on multipitches.

LastBoyScout 20 May 2019

I'd hate to fall on a phone/brush in a chalk bag while bouldering - wouldn't cargo shorts be a better idea?

Or, possibly, a dedicated tiny MP3 player instead? I've got an Archos one I use for running - it's not Bluetooth, but I'm sure you can find an equivalent variant now.

Donotello 20 May 2019

Something hard at the base of your spine is a dumb idea if you fall. People have fallen and broken their backs because they landed on their belay devices clipped to the back of their harnesses.

Thanks all for the responses. To be clear I wouldn't be wearing the chalk bag with my phone in it, agreed that is not a good idea. 

I just wanted one I could stick my phone in on the floor when on a circuit board for example. A chalk bucket felt like overkill so in effect I'm just looking for a large chalk bag that can double up, I'd take the phone and brush out if I was strapping it on.

It looks like the Mammut one fits the bill perfectly, thank you.

Tigger 22 May 2019

Of you find a bag that suits id also look at a small dry bag or simply a plastic bag to protect your phone with, chalk dust will eventually knacker it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...