UKC

Climbing Wall Award

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 trueuk1 02 Oct 2012
Well i have my CWA assesment this saturday, I think I have enough of a skill set and time under my belt to do just fine, Been climbing indoors and out for a few years now, And have been teaching in one form or another for the best part of 14 years, Question is, Has any one got any handy hints or tips to help me out?
cheers
steve
 SimonMarcYoung 02 Oct 2012
In reply to trueuk1: make sure your rescues are top notch and always look for the easiest way to sort them out, don't make things harder than they need to be, and when doing your session make sure everyone is doing something and not stood there doing nothing, also in your session make sure the point of the session (weather thats footwork, strength, smooth body movement ect) is really emphasis and that everyone learns it, and at the end of your session do a client led review so get them to say what they learnt and quiz them on it, don't just say what they should have learned, hope this helps
In reply to trueuk1: Following on from the good advise above...
Ignore the assessor/treat them as part of your group during the session you lead.
If you are ready for assessment (which it sounds like you are) treat the day as an opportunity to learn new skills and share you knowledge with the other candidates.
If you know where the assessment will be it may be worth visiting the wall, work out what are good lines to put people on, find out if there is a cafe/where the toilets are/how long it will take you to drive there. This will reduce any stress you may have and make you feel more relaxed and able to perform on the day.

Let us know how you get on! Good Luck!
 Richard Wilson 02 Oct 2012
Be natural.

When questioned why you have or have not done something do not think you have made a mistake, they just want to see your working out (like in maths at school) & reasoning plus see what factors you have considered.

Dont bluff, not that you will need to. Better to say you dont know & learn from that.

Be prepared to change the plan or method as the session progresses.

Have plenty of games & fun stuff to use if needed, take props. Dont use a game for the first time on assessment, make sure you are fluid with it & it works well first.

Practice your movement demo's & climb confidently with good technique during your monitored climbs.

Read the assessors part of the book.

Remember safety first (inc your own) especially if taking the abseil module as well.

Ensure you are confident with as many different bits of kit as possible.

Understand the safety chain.

Good luck & enjoy it.
 stuartholmes 03 Oct 2012
In reply to trueuk1: when you do the rescues and problem solving, talk to the person on the end of the rope and be mindful of the rest of your group. Tell the person what your doing and talk them through it. It will help you work through and if in a real situation keeps them calm.
Oh and remember to take all your equipment. It looks bad turning up without your harness.
OP trueuk1 04 Oct 2012
In reply to trueuk1: Cheers for the replys folks, All going to plan by 20:00 Hrs Saturday i will be the proud holder of a C.W.A. Will post back then letting you know how it went.
Steve
OP trueuk1 06 Oct 2012
In reply to trueuk1: Well folks, Assesment over, and i PASSED was a rather enjoyable time to be honest, Really enjoyed it. If any one from the northeast wishes to do theres, or there spa, get in contact with Jon Punchon (think thats the correct spelling) the guy is great.

steve
 Nick_Scots 06 Oct 2012
Well done Sir !

Now get yer SPA done !
OP trueuk1 06 Oct 2012
In reply to Scott_vzr: Thats the plan mate
 SimonMarcYoung 06 Oct 2012
In reply to trueuk1: well done buddy, as mentioned get on with your spa and keep progressing, but most importantly keep practicing your skills and dont lose touch with the latest techniques on the walls
 Kayls 06 Oct 2012
In reply to trueuk1: Well done!! I did mine with Jon Punshon* too He's a great guy and always so relaxed. It certainly helped my nerves a little! Congrats x

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...