UKC

Climbing Wall Inspection - qualification?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jim Houghton 07 Dec 2018

Hi all,

We have an Entre Prises climbing wall at school that's a year old (end of a sports' hall job) and we need to get it inspected annually. They're quoting £700 for an inspection. Anyone got any wisdom about this? Is that reasonable? What qualification would someone need to inspect a climbing wall?

Thanks for any help!

Jim

Mark Stevenson 07 Dec 2018
In reply to Jim Houghton:

Unfortunately it's a bit late now to be asking about this sort of thing.

Any competent organisation would have actually fully assessed and budgeted for the ongoing operating cost before committing to building a wall and more importantly deciding on a particular supplier. Entre-Prises walls are excellent but they are not generally considered the cheapest option.

The default option is stucking with Entre-Prises and the quote doesn't seem manifestly excessive.

Going with another individual or company is certainly possible but given that the responsibility for doing the due diligence that they are competent would rest with the school (i.e. ultimately with the head teacher) it means sticking with the manufacturer is by far the easiest and lowest risk option. Most schools I work with are intrinsically risk averse so even if a slightly cheaper quote from an apparently reputable company was obtained, there is a very good chance those ultimately responsible for the decision would decide to stick with Entre-Prises anyway.

Finally, the fact you are asking this question suggests that the school hasn't appointed an appropriately qualified technical advisor. Schools do have an exemption from this requirement under the Adventure Activities Licensing Regulations 2004 but nevertheless it would still be considered good practice.

Sorry if that all seems overly negative.

jezb1 07 Dec 2018

There’s not many companies that do wall inspections.

Realistically it requires a mix of qualifications and experience.

My company does inspections, I’d go with Entreprise at £700....

migs493 07 Dec 2018

I'm sure you are aware that without an annual inspection certificate your insurance will be invalid. You do not have to use the wall manufacturer who built the wall to inspect, but they will have the best knowledge of your particular wall. There are however other providers who will probably be able to give you a more competitive price. I suggest you look on the Association of British Climbing Walls website where there are other individuals who can provide the services you require. 

Abcwalls.co.uk 

Neil Williams 07 Dec 2018
In reply to Mark Stevenson:

AALS doesn't apply to *any* artificial wall - not just schools.  ISTR a recent review may change that, but at present it hasn't.

Don't disagree with your point, though.

Post edited at 15:52
 La benya 07 Dec 2018

Just messaged you Jim with a contact. 

Tomtom 07 Dec 2018

Speak to Nate at climbing wall services

Macca_7 09 Dec 2018

Tailored climbing wall solutions top notch have used them for years!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...