UKC

Climbing walls

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Slackboot 11 Dec 2019

Are there any really good walls which resemble 'real rock' as opposed to the walls which are all 'bolt ons'. In particular any with cracks? 

OP Slackboot 11 Dec 2019
In reply to Slackboot:

A bit like the old Rock Antics wall at Newton Aycliffe if you know what I mean.

Michael Hood 11 Dec 2019
In reply to Slackboot:

I know what you mean. Sadly most of them are a dying breed, most of the Bendcrete walls have gone but there's still one in the Glossop Leisure Centre and I think part of Preston's Westway wall is Bendcrete.

OP Slackboot 11 Dec 2019
In reply to Michael Hood:

Thx for replying.😊 I thought the bolt on walls were great at first but now I want to try Bendcrete again. The walls Ive been to have no cracks. 

In reply to Slackboot:

Some walls create areas which are very realistic made out of resin panels.  Personally I love these as they are very much like climbing outdoors but from the walls point of view they are very limiting.  Once they are in place that's it, there is not much scope to change what was created originally.  This means that once they are polished they are more difficult to change and the features of the resin are what you get from day one.  It is of course possible to add and remove supplemental holds but even as a user once you climbed the, usually limited number of routes that's it.  They are however very close to climbing the real thing.

Al

OP Slackboot 11 Dec 2019
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:

Yes I see what you mean. We need to invent a way of reproducing reality which allows routes to be altered andpolished bits to be replaced easily. Maybe the next generation of walls will be like this.

danm 11 Dec 2019
In reply to Slackboot:

The Sheffield Depot has a good Wide Boyz crack area, with as much hand jamming as any hoary old veteran could wish for. It's not a bad bouldering wall all round, but I prefer the techy setting at the Works, and for a proper beasting there is of course no substitute for the Wave. Walls that attempt to replicate rock are generally crap imho, apart from the sadly deceased Broughton and old Ambleside walls, the demise of which make me go misty eyed in reminiscence.

robert-hutton 11 Dec 2019
In reply to Slackboot:

The foundry still has two real rock walls, it's possible to climb without the bolted holds and make great quality routes.

OP Slackboot 11 Dec 2019
In reply to danm:

I remember the Ambleside wall. I used to go all the time. So its not there now😢

OP Slackboot 11 Dec 2019
In reply to robert-hutton:

I need to travel south to these walls your mentioning. Ive heard of them of course but never been.

johncook 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Slackboot:

Awesome Walls Sheffield has the prow. A featured wall which can also have bolt on holds. Main features, a HVS layback, a nice featured corner, a VS ish line of tufas through a series of small roofs, a VS jam crack and an, awkward for the short, HVS corner route. All are about 16m. The jam crack is still a bit aggressive so tape may be useful.  Grades are my estimates. Enjoy!

OP Slackboot 12 Dec 2019
In reply to johncook:

Cheers for that 😊

UKC Forums 12 Dec 2019
This thread was started in the ROCKTALK forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Walls & Training
Find out where the best climbing wall is in your area. Who goes there? What are the facilities like? Build your own cellar. Training tips and injuries info. It's all here. (And don't forget to check the Classified Listings which contain the UK's most comprehensive online database of climbing walls.)

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
 JMarkW 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Slackboot:

> I remember the Ambleside wall. I used to go all the time. So its not there now😢

wasn't that just some bricks sticking out on the outside if one of the Charlotte Mason buildings?

OP Slackboot 12 Dec 2019
In reply to JMarkW:

No it was near Charlotte Mason but in its own small building. This was about 1986 so I forget all the details. It seemed to be a room that you could climb around in. Not very high. More like Bendcrete than the bolt on style. You could climb all over the ceiling too as it was full of pockety holds. It definitely had an atmosphere. It reminded me of the Old Dungeon Ghyll bar for some reason.☺

Removed User 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Slackboot:

Lincoln wall has a small but fairly difficult prow that can be climbed using the features only.

I'm not sure why you would get two dislikes for simply asking a question about walls, there are some w@#£&*s on here!

Neil Williams 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Slackboot:

Big Rock (Kingston, MK) has a "fake rock" wall including cracks, right at the back.  Their other wall (Bond, Bletchley) doesn't.

Post edited at 11:23
OP Slackboot 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Removed Usergilesf:

I will try not to let the dislikes get me down 😊 Thanks for your reply.

OP Slackboot 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Neil Williams:

Thanks for that. ☺

steveriley 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Slackboot:

I was chatting to one of the setters at my local wall about this recently. They reset every 6 weeks ish and something I'd been working on was about to go. No biggie, but in the olden days I used to have projects that took months and months - I quite like that sort of long term tussle

caver 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Slackboot:

Trackside at Mile End is highly sculpted.

OP Slackboot 12 Dec 2019
In reply to steveriley:

You sound like someone who doesnt need instant gratification. Unlike most people today. 😊

OP Slackboot 12 Dec 2019
In reply to caver:

I will look that up thx ☺

In reply to Slackboot:

I used to go there around 93, was quite a  to good small wall for the era. Used to see  a young Dave birkett making everything look easy.

Flinticus 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Slackboot:

Glasgow Climbing Centre has. The lead walls are all sculpted with added plastic holds. I love it as it doesn't hand the sequence/moves to you on a plate and allows different solutions depending on your reach, flexibility and strengths.

elliptic 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Slackboot:

> No it was near Charlotte Mason but in its own small building. This was about 1986 so I forget all the details. It seemed to be a room that you could climb around in. Not very high. More like Bendcrete than the bolt on style. You could climb all over the ceiling too as it was full of pockety holds.

Basically a freestanding squash court type building round the back of the college - it wasn't bendcrete though, mostly bare breezeblock with natural holds cemented in at random. The higher end wall was a gently overhanging slab of concrete like a circuit board at a modern wall (on the outside it formed an actual slab) the other end had the cave with the horizontal overhead roof section that you're remembering.

The new Ambleside wall actually does have bendcrete style panels (with bolt on holds), Redpoint in Bristol also has an end wall of sculpted panels including a hand jam crack that goes entirely on features.

JLS 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Slackboot:

Glasgow Climbing Centre has a anclove with a couple of pretty realistic crack climbs which can be climbed at around 6a without use of bolt-on holds.

henwardian 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Slackboot:

Honestly, people do not, generally, want realistic climbing indoors.

Bold statement, but allow me to justify it!

real climbing is about sharp edges and crimps that dig into your skin and trash it, it's about jugs with spikes that impale your finger in exactly the wrong way, it's about pockets full of needle-sharp crystals, It's about dimples that are exactly the wrong shape to get your fingers into correctly, it's about friction that is so good you can stand on almost nothing (sometimes), cracks that shred your skin and bruise your bones with their horrendous jams.

I've been to walls quite a bit in my time (though, admittedly, less so recently) and in my experience people really avoid all of the above (or the holds simply are not made because nobody would buy them), it's relatively rare to see people climbing crack features. In terms of the bendcrete/panels covered with molded stuff, I've seen people use them for feet a lot, and that is arguably quite cool and a good way to get used to using awkward and crap footholds, but I've very rarely seen people use them for hands.

Think about how often you have heard people indoors complain that a move/hold is awkward or tweaky or reachy or bunched up or whatever... 

When climbing indoors, people don't want to get all bruised up and bloody and broken.

(also, I've heard that walls don't like it when people bleed on the holds anways )

Post edited at 14:55
 wbo2 12 Dec 2019
In reply to Slackboot: They're fun and interesting the first time, less so after 10.  Modern walls are better.

But crack machines are good fun

Post edited at 15:07
 Neil Williams 12 Dec 2019
In reply to henwardian:

I've bled on the walls at both Big Rocks.  Some of the evidence was only destroyed when they repainted Kingston

In reply to Slackboot:

RopeRace in Marple, foundry, Brunel uni wall, small wall at Staveley (Chestrfield) has a few panels

timparkin 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Slackboot:

The Ice Factor in Lochaber has a nice feature wall on the overhang face on the big room and the left wall of the training bay. Climbing without any holds can be a fun challenge and the climbs in the training bay range from 6a+ through the most being about 6c and some at 7a+. I've not tried the big bay climbs on features only

One of the nice things is that they have no grades so you just challenge yourself and make up eliminates or say 'only one hold'. The lack of feet is big bonus

is2 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Slackboot:

Eldon Square in Newcastle is a superb example.

Ben_Climber 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Slackboot:

Rope Race in Marple has got a fantastic set of feature only lead walls.

JMarkW 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Slackboot:

the one i'm thinking of was a little way up Sweden bridge lane - the road the is the start for the Fairfield horseshoe

though memory fades with time....

johncook 15 Dec 2019
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

Don't forget Wirksworth. Quite a large area of featured panels, including a mean finger crack!

OP Slackboot 15 Dec 2019
In reply to johncook:

I have just checked out some photos of it. It looks worth a visit. ☺

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...