UKC

Climbing with a baby

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ling 22 Mar 2019

Hi, My husband and I are keen climbers and have just had a baby boy

We are keen to hear any advice on going to indoor climbing walls and outdoor crags in and around London with a baby.

Does anyone know of any 'climbers who have babies' groups to join or are their any mums out there who are up for going for a session whilst sharing baby watching duties!

Thanks

Durbs 22 Mar 2019
In reply to Ling:

Congratulations! Hope you stockpiled your sleep!

When we had our first one, getting to the wall was easier (once the Mrs had recovered enough to climb) as they sleep so often and even when they're awake, do so little, that it's easy for you either to tag in and out, or even both climb - assuming you can leave the cot somewhere in sight but out the way.

(Note, this is bouldering only, wouldn't want to be tied in personally)

As soon as they started being mobile however, it was no longer safe (or fun!) to go to the wall, not least because you were either getting frustrated shepherding them OR the baby's frustrated as they want to explore.

So at this stage, we just took in turn to go to the wall - though this massively depends on your baby. My wife breastfed both of ours exclusively for the first 12 months, so couldn't really leave me with the baby for three/four hours as I couldn't feed it. Bottle-fed babies won't have this inconvenience!

Lastly - if you can - pick your walls. We personally weren't concerned about chalk in the air, but both of our locals (Craggy 2 and White Spider) seldom get too hazy. But, when we were tag-teaming, White Spider was a nicer place to hang out when not climbing (though Craggy is our preferred centre for setting, atmosphere and so on). 

Durbs 22 Mar 2019
In reply to Ling:

Oh, forgot, outdoors.

Super easy - especially bouldering. If you can go with other parents, the ratio of climbers:babysitters is much better too.

We camped with ours really early on (< year), took them out to the Peak, sometimes with playtent (to keep midges/sun off) but there's so much for them to explore that it's really easy. 

But again, this is in Font or the Peak bouldering - near a cliff edge would be a massive no-no! 

OP Ling 22 Mar 2019
In reply to Durbs:

Thanks for your prompt response! Great to hear your experience and good to know what you were able to do with a baby. We are definitely keen on a Peaks and Font trip later in the year.

Not sure what the risk is with the chalk? Went to the Reach last week to watch my husband on the autobelay! (but hopefully I will be able to do it next time) - and it was a bit chalky and was slightly concerned...

Heard that White Spider and Craggy are good, but we haven't been there as Building 1, Vauxeast/Vauxwall much closer - any experience of those with a baby?

Luke01 22 Mar 2019
In reply to Ling:

We have an 8 month old and we're both climbers. Bouldering is fine, we just take it in turns, like 5 attempts and swap, that works OK indoors or out. For routes we just climb in a 3 that way there's always someone in the ground and not belaying. We do that quite a lot indoors and it doesn't tend to affect the flow of the session. We've also just been sport climbing in spain with friends, as long as we're in a 3 then it's fine. Outdoor routes it does tend to be a bit slower in 3 but as long as your friends are happy then it works.

Good luck! 

Durbs 22 Mar 2019
In reply to Ling:

> Not sure what the risk is with the chalk? 

Same, just some people have said they wouldn't bring their babies to an overly chalky environment...

balmybaldwin 22 Mar 2019
In reply to Ling:

Only thing I would say 're outdoor cragging is be vary wary of things (rocks, gear) falling. Saw a very near miss once with a baby in a carrier at bottom of crag. 

In reply to Ling:

Easy while they aren't mobile, get your milage in now.

Once mobile it's more fun just to boulder. 

We have 2 under 3s. A 15min gently uphill walk in can take an hr. Take a massive tarp and toys if going outside. Pram handy for naps. Remember they get cold faster. 

Post edited at 09:59
 Durbs 25 Mar 2019
In reply to Somerset swede basher:

And you can never have too many breadsticks

DrJP 09 Apr 2019
In reply to Durbs:

I believe that goes for any age!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...