UKC

CWA Problem Scenarios

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Maddie 06 Nov 2013
I'm sure this has been covered before but just wanted to ask what the most common problem scenarios you may be checked on at CWA assessment are. Overall I thought my training was excellent but as there was an emphasis on problem avoidance in the first place we didn't really cover rescues etc. Im now taking my assessment with a different instructor so thought he might operate differently and want to see full rescues/not allow for a "talking down" approach.
Anyone aware of anything other than
1. Refusal to come down
2. Belayer has feinted

Im not doing the abseil module so hair getting stuck and that stuff doesn't matter.

Cheers for any help!
 MJ 06 Nov 2013
In reply to Maddie:

2. Belayer has feinted

That one catches me out every time...
 RossPencovich 06 Nov 2013
In reply to Maddie: Belayer has attached their belay device to a gear loop, belayer has forgotten to double back the strap on their harness.
 marsbar 06 Nov 2013
In reply to Maddie: Pre-CWA, site specific indoor wall training, we had a version of refusing to come down complete with sitting on a big ledge. The correct answer was to attempt to talk them down from the floor, when this failed send for the (belay trained) reception staff, get on the adjacent rope and climb up to them, try to talk them down from there.

We still had to do stuff getting stuck in the belay device when top roping. Maybe this is different in CWA.

We had to tie off the belay device and pull the rope as if something was stuck.
 griffen 06 Nov 2013
In reply to Maddie

belay device attached incorrectly
belay device set up incorrectly
belay device jammed (hair or fingers stuck in ATC etc)
climber stuck in bolt hanger / clipped quickdraw onto themselves
climber at height with incorrect knot
climber at height with incorrect harness
soloing and stuck
loop of rope stuck around hold and climber above
climber has traversed off their own line

Step One in a rescue scenario is always make the climber safe.

bust3r 29 Nov 2013
In reply to Maddie:
> Im not doing the abseil module so hair getting stuck and that stuff doesn't matter.

Does it not?

Talk to the climber before starting a full on rescue.

What cought out a lot of people in my assessment is being way too keen to start one without talking to the climber.

Make sure the ropework is as close to perfect as possible.
Post edited at 14:10

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...