/ Dave MacLeod’s Bionic Arm

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Patrick Roman 03 Jan 2019

A bit of New Year inspiration from Dave MacLeod. I’ve never felt so weak...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsJtBGBBTVf/?hl=en

I was hoping someone was giving him a puddy (Glasgow slang) but his feet are visible

Jim233 03 Jan 2019
In reply to Patrick Roman:

And there was me feeling quite good about my last wall session...

Might as well just have another mince pie :0)

planetmarshall 03 Jan 2019

One day I hope to be as weak as Dave MacLeod.

capoap 03 Jan 2019

Eddie Plum from Wolverhampton used to do 1 finger pull ups in the downstairs bar of the Mitton & Mermaid pub on the banks of the 7 at Atcham on the way back home after weekends in Wales.  Didn't do his climbing any good as he was only happy following E1 but that was in the mid 60's with no training walls ect and a diet of strong ale.   Ho he was a diabetic too.  Thought he was on drugs when he started injecting himself . 

DaveHK 03 Jan 2019

> I was hoping someone was giving him a puddy (Glasgow slang) but his feet are visible

We always called it a punty but then I'm not a true weegie.

In reply to DaveHK:

I didnt use too many puddy’s when I was a kid, me and my brothers climbed trees and gutter pipes mostly so we could access roofs (generally flat school roofs). Then some smart ar&e invented vandal paint and our climbing days were limited...

Maybe Natalie can shed some light on the etymology of “puddy”? Mind you, she’s from Bearsden, not really Glasgow is it?!

DaveHK 03 Jan 2019

Punty: http://www.dsl.ac.uk/entry/snd/sndns3003

Can't find any similar reference to puddy.

Post edited at 20:02
Sophie G. 03 Jan 2019

His other arm is bionic too. 

I wonder if he can pull up on a heel-hook? Legs have more power than arms, so I'm guessing Yes is the answer to that

Climbpsyched 03 Jan 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Not heard that in years. Gee us a punty. An effective way of gaining some height back in the day.

Two finger pull up is impressive! Not something I'll ever put my fingers through! 

In reply to DaveHK:

Gonny geis a puddy up=Could you please help me to climb up

Taken from: https://www.scotclans.com/scots-slang-nothing-beats-it/

Maybe words like these weren’t unique to the country or city but to specific neighbourhoods? Regardless, must drop it into conversations more, you know to keep it alive.

Definitely a puddy up, round the Scotstoun area in the 80s at any rate...

In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

> Definitely a puddy up, round the Scotstoun area in the 80s at any rate...

Haha!!! Absolutely!!! Grew up in Scotstoun at that time!! You’ve put a smile on my face! Nothing but good memories!

JLS 05 Jan 2019
In reply to Sophie G.:

> I wonder if he can pull up on a heel-hook? Legs have more power than arms, so I'm guessing Yes is the answer to that

Actually I’d doubt his legs are strong enough to pull significant weight in that direction.

Typically, legs only need to lift the weight of one leg as we walk. I doubt climbing training has made them very much stronger than the average man in the street.

If you are hanging from your arms it’s not impossible that you could lift your knees to your chest.

If on the other hand you were suspended by your ankles it would be doubtful you could use the same muscles and motion to pull your chest up to your knees. Though I dare say someone somewhere has trained to do it.

To the thread... It was a “punty” in South Lanarkshire. Sound like those Scotston folk just couldn’t speak right like the rest of us.

Wee Davie 05 Jan 2019

Punty in Renfrewshire.

In reply to JLS:

South Lanarkshire? Your writing has come on surprisingly well. But maybe you didn’t get as far as words starting with ‘P’.....

;-)

buzby 05 Jan 2019

punty down Ayrshire way when I was a kid.

PaulJepson 05 Jan 2019

We called it a 'boost'!

Disgusting strength. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.