UKC

DIY home fingerboard using real rock holds

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Many of us seem to be building bits of training equipment at home and obviously off-cuts of wood are the quickest way to get something up and usable. However, at the weekend I had the idea to make a few holds using real rock. I did a quick search and found very few results so I made a video of my experiment. I had fun, I hope you find it interesting youtube.com/watch?v=eMzjR0bMuwI& 

Also, if you can help me identify what kind of rock it is I'd love to know. I'm rubbish with geology. It's sedimentary right? 

Post edited at 23:00
 timparkin 31 Mar 2020
In reply to Martin Southville:

People will say that you're better off with wood, that it looks a bit flaky, that your shed is bending, etc, etc. but it looks absolutely fine to me and the main thing is to get some psyche/motivation and it sounds like the project did just that so well done! p.s. Probably sandstone with a bit of silt in it

GravitySucks 31 Mar 2020

Is that your pet mouse @ 0:58

Flinticus 31 Mar 2020

Great vid! You're a natural.

Now you need to go topless

In reply to GravitySucks:

Haha. It does look like a mouse! I'm pretty sure it's a leaf. Maybe it's the Loch Ness Monster. 

dilatory 31 Mar 2020

Under normal situations I couldn't imagine anything worse than training on rock holds. Wood is great for the skin, allowing me to not burn through precious skin while training.

However at the moment I think it's brilliant, one of my major concerns is skin conditioning (I even had a crisis about whether in a few weeks time my feet would hurt in shoes again, so have taken to just wearing them under my desk for a bit) and I think this is a fantastic solution to that!

jkarran 31 Mar 2020

> Also, if you can help me identify what kind of rock it is I'd love to know. I'm rubbish with geology. It's sedimentary right? 

It's a sandstone of some sort, probably known as some kind of flagstone given it cleaves so nicely. I enjoyed the mouse in the background at 1:00

jk

GCO 31 Mar 2020

I reckon it’s a vole.

Anyway, useful video as I’m considering something similar. Thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...