UKC

Ethics of instructing in gyms

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bluey 19 Aug 2020

Hi all,

So for context, I have been instructing in various centres and environments for a few years now as CWI. I was hoping to start a discussion on the assumed knowledge of a gym employee. 

I have started at a new workplace recently and there are some instructors working who have been climbing a limited time and no quals giving advice on injuries and other subjects. When I suggested adding a caveat of 'I am no expert but this is my opinion' or 'if it gets worse talk to a doctor', the response was a 'well I'm only a centre employee why should I have to add that'. I think legally you would be covered, but ethically it feels like a grey area.

Personally I feel like, if there is no obvious distinction between those with experience and quals and those not at a centre then customers may assume someone has knowledge simply for working there. I am not suggesting there should be a distinction, simply that employees should be careful how they suggest things if there is limited knowledge backing it up. 

It was an interesting subject to have to try and explain so I was hoping to hear from people their experiences with the ethics of advising customers and ''assumed knowledge''.

In reply to Bluey:

Other than minor cuts and bruises shouldn't the advice ALWAYS be "See a Doctor".  That would be my default position.

Al

OP Bluey 19 Aug 2020
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:

This post is less in regards to first aid incidents and more when they say 'oh I'm going to take a break for a few days as I've had this ache here or a shooting pain here', but I agree or at the very least a physio/ expert.

muppetfilter 19 Aug 2020
In reply to Bluey:

It seems like a perfect opportunity to buddy the wall up with a local physio , I know of a couple in Sheffield that over the years have mutually benefitted from having a climbing experienced physio pop in or or have contact details available to book consultations.

OP Bluey 19 Aug 2020
In reply to muppetfilter:

I believe there is a physio, perhaps I should suggest to the bosses about advertising that better/ informing staff of it.

duchessofmalfi 19 Aug 2020
In reply to Bluey:

Get them to read this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

and if they are really stoopid they'll carry on as before.

OP Bluey 19 Aug 2020
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

You are my favourite. Can I keep you?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...