UKC

Finger extensor trainers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Having been disappointed with the poor longevity of Power fingers. Can anyone recommend an alternative please? 

jezb1 15 May 2020
In reply to Presley Whippet:

Just wrap a theraband around your fingers.

In reply to jezb1:

Tried that but poked thru and split the band. 

jezb1 15 May 2020

Buy better bands! I do this exercise virtually every day and that has never happened!

Jon Greengrass 15 May 2020

cut your finger nails

In reply to Jon Greengrass:

But the nail bar is shut. 

Seriously, yes done all the obvious things. 

I wasn't too surprised when the band burst because even with neat nails it was being stressed over an edge. The powerfi gers giving up after 3/4 weeks was disappointing. 

Mike Nolan 15 May 2020

'Over an edge'? What are you doing with it?

I've had some Power Fingers for over 2 years and they're still going strong, just a little easier than when I first got them, so I have to stack 2 to get the same intensity.

stonker 16 May 2020

"Can anyone recommend an alternative please? "

Bucket filled with rice. There also exists "Physio Putty" for doing similar plunge and move exercises, its stiffer so the container can be smaller but in my experience it gets grim with fluff and gunk whereas you can just replace the rice for pennies every now and again.

John Kettle 16 May 2020

The 'Expand-your hands' bands from Ironmind seem more durable to me, also easier to stack over each other. They also do the very durable looking 'Outer Limits Loops' but they're £43, and work isomentric rather than concentric strength. A cheaper option for extensor isometrics is a jam jar full of scrap metal - pick it up from the inside

Bouldering Ben 16 May 2020

Rice bucket, or buy a box of heavy duty elastic bands on eBay for a few quid. 

HakanT 17 May 2020

You can get a 3-pack for £6.50 on Amazon. search for TILY finger extensor. I find that they stay on better than the Power Fingers that tend to roll down my fingers. They aren’t indestructible but I think that’s probably par for the course for materials this elastic. At least at a reasonable price point.

UKB Shark 17 May 2020

I don’t know anyone who trains extensors and for the life of me can’t see any reason why a climber would.

Have you got any links giving reasoning - other than that from suppliers of training gimmicks?

Post edited at 10:09
 jezb1 17 May 2020
In reply to UKB Shark:

> I don’t know anyone who trains extensors and for the life of me can’t see any reason why a climber would.

> Have you got any links giving reasoning - other than that from suppliers of training gimmicks?

Just a nice thing to do as part of a warm up. Gets the fingers moving a bit. I like it.

In reply to UKB Shark:

Nope, not looked for any tbh. Their use was recommended as part of a training program and I couldn't see it doing any harm. Training antagonists is generally a good idea. 

Playing around with them gives me something to do during dull teleconfs. 

Thanks to all for the suggestions above. I hadn't thought of the penny jar. I shall give it a go, not sure it will be quiet enough for work meetings though. 

John Kettle 17 May 2020
In reply to UKB Shark:

I use them 

Gresh also does, and a lot of weight lifters use them to manage elbow issues. I use mine as it seems to reduce my golfers elbow symptoms, but I don't know of any studies into it.

UKB Shark 17 May 2020
In reply to John Kettle:

Live and learn. So some kind of voodoo injury prevention. Not found anything that makes a difference to golfers. Seems to have a mind of its own

Post edited at 18:04

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...