UKC

Flashpoint Bristol - major new bouldering wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ericinbristol 22 Apr 2021

Just stumbled upon this: https://flashpointbristol.com/. Impressive. Big and well equipped. I wonder if it will get nicknamed 'Flashpump'.

So many bouldering walls in Bristol, some with lead walls too - TCA, TCA The Church, Redpoint, Bloc and now this. 

Pity the outdoor bouldering sucks...

Post edited at 08:23
 PaulJepson 22 Apr 2021
In reply to ericinbristol:

Flashpoint has been around for a couple of years now. I've not been but I've heard good things (though I think the walls are made of that super abrasive stuff that just eats through shoes). You might not be aware if you're not up-to-date with Bristol that TCA expanded into the upstairs at their building and is now double the size with a much more modern bouldering set-up upstairs and a proper training area. Bloc also expanded into the area where Bananafingers shop used to be and knocked through the wall between the units, so is a lot bigger. 

Having worked at Bloc from 2017-2020, there was absolutely the demand for another centre and, though I haven't climbed inside since February 2020, they were regularly heaving. 

The bouldering around Bristol isn't terrible, and there has been a lot of recent development of previously neglected places like  Avon Valley Sandstone, as well as a lot of activity down the side of the Donkey Slide, bottom of Sea Walls and all the Frome sandstone. There is also the Huntsham Crags and Sally in the Woods close by. The demand in the last year for the Frome Valley Sandstone guide that GWR put out has been hilarious. There is a new guide coming out from Great Western Rock for Bristol Bouldering (due in the next month or so) that will have all the local stuff.

Don't get me wrong, it's garbage compared to the likes of the Peak District or Dartmoor but there is a huge amount of development and activity going on and a massive market that the walls and developers are tapping into. Time will tell if all these new outdoor climbers are here for good or just a symptom of closed climbing centres. 

OP ericinbristol 22 Apr 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

Thanks Paul. I had no idea that Flashpoint has been around for a couple of years! I knew that TCA has had an upstairs added but I haven't been to it yet.. 

I've visited quite a few of the local bouldering spots and never felt the urge to go back. I guess the fact that I am mainly a sport and trad climber doesn't helo with my lack of enthusiasm. I might take a fresh look at the recent developments. Thanks for the background info.

PaulJepson 22 Apr 2021

FWIW, I went to Hanham in the winter when we had to stay local and thought it made a nice change to the gorge!

fammer 22 Apr 2021

The problems just to the right of the prince at the bottom of the ramp have provided me with some good lockdown entertainment. I'm very much not a boulderer but I've enjoyed a few evenings down there the last couple of months.

I'd say if your focus is sport climbing and trad climbing then flashpoint isn't the place for you, I find it to be too focussed on indoor style jumpy slopey volume problems.

In reply to PaulJepson:

I might give it a go some day. Mind you I live 5 minutes' drive from the parking for Hambrook, Bromley Heath and Winterbourne Down and I haven't been back since my one visit about 10 years ago.

In reply to fammer:

Yep, I can't be bothered with world cup style jumpy slopey stuff. Does nothing for trying to crimp my way up my 5 degree overhanging limestone projects.

fammer 22 Apr 2021

Agreed. That said, their circuit boards and woody are good.

PaulJepson 22 Apr 2021

The trad at Winterbourne is fantastic!

In reply to fammer:

I was impressed by the photos. Mind you I am very lucky to have my own wall in my garage: https://www.ukclimbing.com/user/profile.php?id=34082#&gid=1&pid=6. 40 degree panel on the left, 30 on the right. I now have more campus rungs/blocks and wooden holds in it

Post edited at 12:53
In reply to PaulJepson:

Loving your enthusiasm Paul! The routes on Pigbag Buttress look worthwhile but other than that I would need some convincing! Mind you I can have a great day out on scruffy bits and pieces so it's all good as far as I am concerned

farhi 22 Apr 2021

I’m sorry it’s already called Fleshlight

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...