UKC

hand injury advice please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 haworthjim 11 Jun 2018

Hello all,

Ive developed a weird swelling on the back of my hand with stiffness and pain. When I extent my fingers I have a graunching feeling in the tendons. Im assuming tendinitis but it came on all of a sudden through the night Friday and have had no problems previously.  Any advice welcome.

thanks

jim

alx 12 Jun 2018
In reply to haworthjim:

That would be an ecumenical matter.

On a more serious  note, sounds like an acute injury, I would pop to the minor injuries dept at your hospital to get an x-ray or similar to check you have not ripped or broken something.

Rest, ice, compression and elevation to get the swelling down followed by gentle rehabilitation exercises. Complaining loudly to your family whilst lying on the sofa being served chilled beer is legit at this time.

Roger Vickers 14 Jun 2018
In reply to haworthjim:

Try Arnica Cream it's made by Nelsons. It's used for bruising and is a mild analgisic with out the side effects of Ibuprofin. You can get it from Boots or any good health shop. The Old Farts Climbing Club ( Lancashire Branch. ) use it regular for all sorts of strains and pains especially finger and hand injuries which we seem to be prone to after 50 years of crancking.

Wiley Coyote2 14 Jun 2018
In reply to haworthjim:

See a doctor and, depending on the medic's advice probably see a physio too

Allovesclimbin 14 Jun 2018
In reply to haworthjim:

Likely De quervains tenosynovitis if near base of thumb , and yes , tendon / tendon sheath inflammation likely. 

Sometimes a simple soft splint helps , analgesics are up to you , ibuprofen for me as it’s probably inflammation and it’s an anti inflammatory! 

Pop in to your MIU or GP.  You don’t need x rays. 

Gets better in a few weeks . 

Good luck

Deadeye 15 Jun 2018
In reply to alx:

>, I would pop to the minor injuries dept at your hospital to get an x-ray or similar to check you have not ripped or broken something.

> Rest, ice, compression and elevation to get the swelling down followed by gentle rehabilitation exercises. Complaining loudly to your family whilst lying on the sofa being served chilled beer is legit at this time.

Don't go to A&E or minors.  It doesn't need an x-ray.

If it's not improving by mid week see your GP

In reply to alx:

An xray won’t show if you have ripped sonething - tendon, ligament.

An xray will show if you have broken bone.

Post edited at 22:01

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...