UKC

Hollow training advise!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pino 12 Jun 2013
I'm into my fifth year of climbing and I feel I'm beginning to end the beginning of the learning process. At first I was lucky enough to bump into an "old school" mountain guide who introduced me to the technique of climbing, then Roberto Bagnoli ( http://www.climbingtraining.it/en/ ) took care of my feeble body. More recently, Rebecca from www.smartclimbing.co.uk, was able to dig deep and bring out hidden resources.
As always, the difference is in the finest details and the whole is made up of tiny particles...
In all three instances it was never a case of meaningless: "use you feet"; "pull hard" or "it's all in the mind".
Be wary of such hollow advise! Happy climbing
 Bulls Crack 13 Jun 2013
In reply to Pino:

> In all three instances it was never a case of meaningless: "use you feet"; "pull hard" or "it's all in the mind".

Meaningless? To you maybe!

PS Use your feet
 mp3ferret 13 Jun 2013
In reply to Pino: 'use your feet' is probably the most usefull advice you can give a beginner.

Am I just being confused?
 3 Names 13 Jun 2013
In reply to Pino:

More recently, Rebecca from www.smartclimbing.co.uk, was able to dig deep and bring out hidden resources.

Really? I thought her ideas about outcome goal setting, in relation to climbing was plain wrong.

OP Pino 13 Jun 2013
In reply to Vince McNally: In my case, she, in fact, stressed how important it would be for me to focus on the individual moves, sections etc leaving the outcome to be the possible result of having done everything well... Maybe visualising,in general, a positive outcome is better than dwelling on possible (safe) falls and/or negative thoughts. Not sure about you comment. I didn't experience it. Obviuosly one has to have an overall goal to be motivated, in the first place, to even get out and go climbing. (my opinion) There could be a difference between reading a general article of hers and having a one to one, perhaps.
OP Pino 13 Jun 2013
In reply to mp3ferret: I was referring to the sentence "use your feet" , that is just a vague statement; most people I have heard say it, don't know how. They just know feet must be used, well, but how, where to place them, which one to move where, when, would leave them a bit speechless. Particularly on a specific crux, route, situation. Footballers are not just told to use their feet! They are shown and told how. Of course using feet well is one of the key factors, but try asking those who say it, show you how....or watch them climb, without being influenced by their grade. Climbing hard doesn't always mean climbing well.
OP Pino 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack: Of course to me; I wrote it
 adstapleton 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Pino:

drivel.
 Kieran_John 14 Jun 2013
In reply to Pino:

I've never really taken "pull hard" as advice, more as encouragement. If I'm climbing and have someone shouting positive (or horribly negative and insulting!) things I tend to do a little better than if left to my own devices.
ShaunRudge 14 Jun 2013
Don't let go! Best advice anyone ever gave me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...