UKC

Home wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kes 28 Feb 2021

Hi all 

I'm building in a training wall in my garage and am looking advice on holds.

Has anyone got experience with these, Garage Set from Custom Holds? It's a 68 hold pack with a good range of sizes and types (apparently). Seems like a couple of those might be a good way to get started. Some big holds are a bonus as my 8 year old will be using it too.

Is it a good deal? Any other suggestions? 

Cheers

climb the peak 28 Feb 2021
In reply to Kes:

I really rate these:

https://www.strongholds.co.uk/

Decathlon do good cheap jugs.

If you're making a wall, you'll probably have lots of wood off cuts. These can make great food holds.

JIMBO 28 Feb 2021
In reply to Kes:

I think the https://coreclimbing.co.uk/ screw on mini and micro jugs are really good value... plus their geometric shapes are nice too...

Alex@home 28 Feb 2021
In reply to Kes:

One other thing to consider. I had a wall built in my garage last spring. It was fine until the end of autumn but once winter came there was a lot of condensation and now the untreated panels I used have a lot of patches of mould on them. If I could start again I'd definitely use treated wood

Removed User 28 Feb 2021

That garage set from custom holds looks awful. 

I’d consider going to hardwood holds. Those guys are brilliant, they’ll be able to give you a great amount of grips based on your level and what you aspire to. Also be able to give you an amount of holds based on the size of your board too. 

https://www.hardwoodholds.co.uk/

Go to lock holds if you want what is essentially a combination of art and holds. Very pretty beautiful holds. 
search for lock holds on Insta. 

Go to core climbing for the little feet. 

https://coreclimbing.co.uk/buy-holds/shop-by-type/footholds/

pec 28 Feb 2021
In reply to Kes:

It's worth keeping an on ebay for used holds as a way of getting hold of a reasonably large number of holds cheaply which you can add to later if you want specific types.

For example there's someone selling off 71 holds in an auction at the moment, that would be a great start to building a wall without breaking the bank.

Spike 28 Feb 2021
In reply to Kes:

Have bought holds from customholds, not got that set but the holds we got have been really good, and are good value too. Worth buying and if you email them they will sort a good colour mix for you as well, their website doesnt seem to always show their latest colours in stock.

Also agree the screw in foothold from core climbing are good.

S

griffer boy 01 Mar 2021
In reply to Spike:

Beta Blox

Hardwood

Strongholds

Footholds from core

That's my opinion

combatrock 01 Mar 2021
In reply to Kes:

I've got Holdz brand and they are great. Lots of mixed set options and super helpful chap, email them and I'm sure he can advise. The 'seconds' mystery box is good. Got Alien for footholds, also good quality. 

MTL 01 Mar 2021
In reply to JIMBO:

2nd the recommendation for the Core Micro Jugs and micro feet, good holds and not too coarse a texture unlike some other resin holds I have.  I've also got a set of wooden Crusher holds which are great.

Post edited at 10:29
OP Kes 01 Mar 2021
In reply to Alex@home:

Thanks, that's something I hadn't considered and would be pretty annoying!

OP Kes 01 Mar 2021
In reply to Kes:

Thanks for the suggestions, I now have too much choice!

Spike 01 Mar 2021
In reply to griffer boy:

Yes all good, but the wooden holds, although lovely, are so expensive and if you're on a budget then I guess there are other options to consider too, and the OP asked specifically about customholds which I've found to be good quality at a cheap price. I'd love all wooden crafted holds from nice hardwood but cant affors them 

There was also a link posted on News a few weeks from a company who sold second hand holds, as well as providing advice on home wall building - maybe worth hunting out for the OP.

webbo 01 Mar 2021
In reply to Alex@home:

> One other thing to consider. I had a wall built in my garage last spring. It was fine until the end of autumn but once winter came there was a lot of condensation and now the untreated panels I used have a lot of patches of mould on them. If I could start again I'd definitely use treated wood

I have never had this problem with a wall in 4 different garages. I would suggest it’s more to do with ventilation or the type of garage.

OP Kes 02 Mar 2021
In reply to Spike:

This is the point that I’ve got to. To start with, I just need a lot of holds and wood are too expensive. Another vote for the custom hold pretty much settles it

Thanks

Qwerty2019 02 Mar 2021
In reply to Alex@home:

Interested to know if this is normal.  I have a wall setup in a garage but i must admit mould would be about a million miles away from my worries on this one tbh.  Is the garage particularly damp?

For the record, i carpeted mine pre installation and all wood is treated but that was just a belt and braces job.  I still wouldnt expect mould unless the building was particularly damp.

Alex@home 02 Mar 2021
In reply to Qwerty2019 and kes and webbo:

Ventilation certainly isn't the problem - the doors don't fit properly so I'm endlessly having to sweep out the dust and leaves that blow in. However the general construction probably is the issue. After heavy rain I can see damp patches on the inside of the breeze block walls

pec 02 Mar 2021
In reply to Kes:

Regarding the damp issue, I've had a wall in my garage for about 5 years now. It's on the north side of the house so never gets any sun and is unheated but there's no issue with damp and the wood isn't treated.

Garage moisture levels must be higher than in a centrally heated house but nowhere near enough to rot timber if there's adequate ventilation and the roof doesn't leak.

One possible exception might be that old garage floors may not have a functioning damp proof memrane so timbers resting on the floor could potentially rot.

I suspect any dampness is specific to an individual garage rather than a general problem.

OP Kes 03 Mar 2021
In reply to pec:

Thanks, having looked at all the stuff in the garage that would probably go mouldy and hasn’t, I’ve come to the conclusion that it won’t be a problem.

certainly plenty of air moving through it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...