UKC

TECHNIQUE: How to get into the climbing wall for free

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stp 13 May 2017
Climbing walls are expensive these days. Here's a variety of techniques to avoid paying.

vimeo.com/76330785
 Morty 13 May 2017
In reply to stp:

How could someone dislike this?
 alx 13 May 2017
In reply to stp:

Dear God Graeme looks young! Like a young Eamonn Holmes before the crystal meth* took over.

*allegedly
 Steve Wetton 14 May 2017
In reply to stp:

Unintended questionable reference to Muslims........... I pretend I'm a Muslim praying to the sun and if you challenge me I'll start chanting ummmm....money money.......

Careful!!!
 Thrudge 15 May 2017
In reply to stp:

"The guards" - love it!
OP stp 15 May 2017
In reply to Morty:

Good question. Presumably no sense of humour.
 Pekkie 02 Jun 2017
In reply to Morty:

> How could someone dislike this?

Well, actually I would dislike it. Most climbing walls are set up by entrepeneurs, usually climbers who don't have that much money (and sometimes borrow the money against the house) - definitely not rich capitalists - who provide a useful service at a reasonable cost. I would suggest that not paying is theft.
 1poundSOCKS 02 Jun 2017
In reply to Pekkie:

It's a joke.
 johncook 02 Jun 2017
In reply to stp:

Why not just pay and keep your local wall in business
 Pekkie 02 Jun 2017
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> It's a joke.

Ha, fxcking, ha.
 1poundSOCKS 02 Jun 2017
In reply to Pekkie:

> Ha, fxcking, ha.

Strange response. Did you watch the film? Did you know it was a joke? You're initial response seems to indicate you didn't know it was a joke. Now you seem to be claiming you don't find it funny. #confused
 FactorXXX 02 Jun 2017
In reply to Pekkie:

You do know that: 'Graeme, this is one of the Commandants' at 2'30" in the video is Graeme Alderson who just so happens to co-own the Climbing Works?
In reply to stp:
I thought this film was really funny but I also recognised that it was making a point about the fact that climbing walls are not high security establishments and rely on the honesty of their clients. I think that by parodying the methods with which it is possible to 'Cheat' in a humorous way the underlying message was 'Be honest and pay up to support your wall'.
PS Anything produced by Niall Grimes has to be taken in context of 'a pinch of salt'
Post edited at 21:41
In reply to FactorXXX:
What a perfect example of the archetypal ' rich capitalist'.
 Pekkie 02 Jun 2017
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> Strange response. Did you watch the film? Did you know it was a joke? You're initial response seems to indicate you didn't know it was a joke. Now you seem to be claiming you don't find it funny. #confused

Yeah, apologies. Watched the film after my response. OK, it was a joke, sorry.
 1poundSOCKS 02 Jun 2017
In reply to Pekkie:

Not a problem.
 Niall Grimes 02 Jun 2017
In reply to stp: Ho ho ho

I'd like to point out that this video is not meant to be taken lightly.

MischaHY 14 Jun 2017
In reply to stp:

Niall is such a smooth criminal.
 MischaHY 14 Jun 2017
In reply to stp:

p.s. I think a few brits might consider using this technique in German walls where you're pretty much expected to buy year membership... Entry is often €15 a pop.
OP stp 14 Jun 2017
In reply to MischaHY:

> Entry is often €15 a pop.

OUCH! Similar to London prices then.
 MischaHY 14 Jun 2017
In reply to stp:

Indeed. In fairness the expensive walls tend to be brand new and bloody awesome. Although they don't seem to have learnt what a circuit board is...
 Toccata 14 Jun 2017
In reply to stp:

Isn't this about a decade old?
In reply to Niall Grimes:

We didn't take it lightly, we've been counting up how much you owe us over the years and we'll be round for your house, your cat and your RP's on Monday.
 Niall Grimes 14 Jun 2017
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

I somehow think that you could be expecting a few knocks on your door in due course too then, Graeme ...
Removed User 17 Jun 2017
In reply to stp:

Just saw this thread. How can it have 43 Dislikes, it's a bit of fun. Lighten up you forty three nudniks.

PS Look it up.
 AlanLittle 17 Jun 2017
In reply to MischaHY:

17 € for non-DAV members at Thalkirchen. Fair enough. The wall is owned by the DAV so exists primarily to serve its members. And frankly the last thing they need, at least on weekday evenings, is more customers - and the management, being climbers, are well aware of that.
 wbo 17 Jun 2017
In reply to stp: I'm very happy wth my £200 per year, including ice rink entry

Offwidth 17 Jun 2017
In reply to Toccata:

Yup... UKC becomes Dave. Niall needs new material.... but please not how the cat and RP baliffs were thwarted.
 MischaHY 19 Jun 2017
In reply to AlanLittle:

Makes it a bit of a bugger though when you're mostly climbing at the local wall but also want to do semi-regular sessions at the massive lead wall in the next town. €8-9 I could cope with (as a fully paid up DAV member) but €12 as a full member is a bit steep. Plus its mega pricey for the local teams who need to use both walls in order to actually train their kids for the three comp disciplines. Not so many walls that have a full length speed route.
OP stp 19 Jun 2017
In reply to MischaHY:

I sympathize. There's a scheme in the UK now called Move GB where you pay one monthly fee and then use it to get into loads of different sport places, from regular gyms and yoga to climbing walls. In Sheffield The Foundry and Awesome Walls are both signed up but sadly not The Works (yet?), which is really the best bouldering venue by a long way.

Having choice in walls without having to pay for several different memberships is great idea for climbers who want to climb regularly indoors without spending loads of money.
OP stp 19 Jun 2017
In reply to wbo:

> I'm very happy wth my £200 per year, including ice rink entry

Which wall is that for?
 MischaHY 20 Jun 2017
In reply to stp:

Sounds like a great scheme. I'd love to have something like that over here - I don't see why it can't be co-ordinated with the DAV walls. I'd happily pay a premium over a normal membership (€100-200 as it would unquestionably work out well financially.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...