UKC

Huddersfield wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 thinredline20 10 Sep 2019

Is Huddersfield's new wall open ?

In reply to thinredline20:

Nope. I've heard rumours of October

JMarkW 12 Sep 2019
In reply to willworkforfoodjnr:

Looks good!

https://freeklime.co.uk/

Sean_J 12 Sep 2019
In reply to JMarkW:

In what sense does it look good? All I see is a half-concreted floor...

TT__50 12 Sep 2019

Uhm, how about looks good to see a new facility opening up in the area, good to see people are still investing in the sport? Blimey some people are only happy when they’re unhappy eh?

TT__50 12 Sep 2019
In reply to TT__50:

I was told the other day that it’s a Walltopia build and a massive place so am looking forward to getting in there when it does open!

topper133 13 Sep 2019

I thought this was referring to the Wall thats is reopening in the leisure centre (which is also good news) first I've heard of a brand new bouldering centre, great news but does anyone know where abouts in Huddersfield this is actually being built?

BenedictIEP 13 Sep 2019
In reply to topper133:

Lincoln street adjoining the mechanics.

mwr72 13 Sep 2019
In reply to TT__50:

Yes, it is a walltopia build, they have just arrived after a 27 hour journey

OP thinredline20 14 Sep 2019
In reply to TT__50:

That reply must have been aimed at Sean_J  I'm well happy there's going to be a wall in Huddersfield again. Loving it

carl dawson 14 Sep 2019

Fingers crossed for quality setting.

Andy Say 14 Sep 2019
In reply to TT__50:

> Uhm, how about looks good to see a new facility opening up in the area, good to see people are still investing in the sport? Blimey some people are only happy when they’re unhappy eh?

In fairness to Sean at present it doesn't actually look good.  Its a good idea, concept; a welcome facility, service.  Beyond that we'll just have to wait and see, won't we?

forarainydave 07 Oct 2019

Didn't know anything about this until I had a targeted ad from Instagram (I guess sharing all my information on the internet has some uses afterall). 

So long as they don't price themselves above other local walls then this will be far more convenient for me. Should be open in a couple of weeks so we'll see.

The current word seems to be that they couldn't find anyone to take it over, so its being re-purposed into something else

JMarkW 07 Oct 2019
In reply to Sean_J:

> In what sense does it look good?

Hey Sean, looks good as in another bouldering wall close to home maybe...!!!

>All I see is a half-concreted floor...

look up at the sky more maybe?

I'm sure it will be good!!

cheers

mark

forarainydave 08 Oct 2019

Looks like most the matting was going in yesterday and they're still on track to open 21st October. Looking at the location though has me a little worried for parking.

forarainydave 25 Oct 2019

Managed to pop down to the new wall (Freeklime) the other night. Was very quiet when I got there but quickly filled up by around 6.30pm to an acceptable level. As much as I'd love to be the only person there, indoor walls just wouldn't exist if I was the only person climbing. Parking is also pretty good, though if Huddersfield are playing at home it can get a bit crazy on those nights.

The problems were surprisingly good fun with a solid amount of old school static climbing, some fun hoppy slab traverse problems, and plenty dynamic problems thrown in for the more modern boulderer. 

The grading seemed pretty good for the most part but the amount of problems above V5 is relatively low. Fine for me as V5-6 is just at my current project level, but probably not for the hardcore. I can understand that they want to keep it accessible with the limited space there is though and for the casual climber, the range is perfect.

I couldn't tell if they'd opened up the training area yet but when they do it'll be quite a nice spot.

Right that's my mini review done. Well worth a visit and I'll be adding it into my rotation of walls I visit. The staff are still keen and friendly too, so hopefully they'll be around for quite a while.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...