UKC

Improving bridging

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike lawrence? 31 Dec 2020

Just doing my new year resolutions. One is to improve my bridging so that i don't descend into agony after 10 seconds and return to hanging on my arms. Any suggestions as to exercises i can do off the wall to help?

thanks

mike

Offwidth 01 Jan 2021
In reply to mike lawrence?:

I found hip stretches were important when preparing for bouldering uncomfortable bridging moves. Put bent knee over other leg and gently pressure across. Repeat a few times for each knee.

Andy Manthorpe 21 Jan 2021

Hamstring stretches and stretching the tendons in the groin.

What limits you ? Where does it hurt ?

In reply to Andy Manthorpe:

I'm doing lots of hip and groin stretches so feel i am doing what i can there. It's really my calves, they become really painful so can't wait to get the weight back onto my arms which given they are probably exhausted is not a great strategy. I have friends where they are just able to bridge for 5 minutes and recover so wondered how best to train mine.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions,

thanks

mike

MischaHY 23 Jan 2021

It's basically leg conditioning. Improving active flexibility in that area will mean your muscles will be stronger in the extended position. You can also use wide squats and similar exercises to improve strength in that range. 

Mr. Lee 23 Jan 2021

Yep just a question of conditioning. Do lots of bridging, try to ignore (or enjoy) the calf burn, and the conditioning will naturally improve. How much bridging have you done up to now? Do you think you could be better at finding half resting positions, in the same way you would for your arms? 

rachelpearce01 23 Jan 2021

Have you tried strapping on some roller skates, leaning against a wall and lowering yourself until you feel you feel you can’t go any further. Once you’re at this point, then try to go even further. You may need to call for your wife to help you get out of this position after. 

or stop punting around on dirty green corners ?

Jon Greengrass 23 Jan 2021

I was a toe walker as a child, concerned parents took me to see a doctor, who said I would grow out of it as a I grew (heavier). I didn't I just developed very strong calf muscles(I could do 200% body weight calf     raises last time I tried) and stopped toe-walking in public so people didn't take the piss about me prancing about in imaginary high-heels. I've never experienced any calf pump when climbing due to my strong calf muscles, therefore I would recommend toe-walking or sawing the heels of your favourite pair of stilettos.

In reply to rachelpearce01:

I might have this wrong but you seem to think there is something wrong with punting about dirty green corners? You are extraordinary. I want to spend longer in these dirty green corners hence the question!

> Have you tried strapping on some roller skates, leaning against a wall and lowering yourself until you feel you feel you can’t go any further. Once you’re at this point, then try to go even further. You may need to call for your wife to help you get out of this position after. 

> or stop punting around on dirty green corners ?

Just to say thanks for everyone's replies, well apart from Rachels obviously. I'm now doing all recommended calf stretches most days and as soon as we are let out will spend my days bridged out everywhere i can.

David Alcock 11 Feb 2021
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

Blimey, I've very toey and I'm about to be fifty. Do you clench and spring as you walk? 

David Alcock 11 Feb 2021

Sounds like you're doing stretches - I was going to recommend the lotus and butterfly, but if it's stamina then just find somewhere just above the ground and keep the posture - read the paper, eat a sandwich, even roll a cig if you smoke. Just do it till it stops being a hindrance. Sorry, best I can suggest. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...