UKC

?Instructor Insurance?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr G 26 Apr 2013
Instructor Insurance?

My normal day job is a chemistry teacher in a secondary school but I’m also ML, SPA and TCL qualified.
I’ve previously only ever lead groups under the LA insurance policy. Is it recomended to have your own personal insurance?

Any advice about instructors insurance for outdoor activities? (Walking, Climbing (single pitch) and biking)
Who do you use?

Cheers
 Banned User 77 26 Apr 2013
In reply to Mr G: The MLTA have an insurance for MLs.. 240 or so.. pretty good.
 climber_medic 26 Apr 2013
In reply to Mr G: Contact Perkins Slade mate. If your a member of the MLT they run it at a discount! Hope that helps!
 Jamie Wakeham 26 Apr 2013
In reply to Mr G: I lead climbing trips (SPA) from my school and only ever used the LEA insurance. As long as your LEA has a sizeable chunk (say £5M plus) of professional liability for its staff working on school trips, that's all you need.

If you want to run trips as a freelance for clients outside of your own school, you'll need independant insurance; the MLTA scheme is the way to go. I pay £180-odd for SPA only.

Note that you can't run trips for children, though, if they're not members of your school, unless you have an AALA licence. This annoys me no end.
 stuart58 28 Apr 2013
In reply to Jamie Wakeham: u need to check your ins jamie I have mine through meta thats the per kins one and i have ml spa ml and all others if required for £180. Unless u only have spa?
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Mr G) The MLTA have an insurance for MLs.. 240 or so.. pretty good.

£169 for sole trader, £360ish for limited company.

I'd be checking with someone as to your need to have it though

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...