UKC

Leaving your dog in the car while at the wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FreshSlate 23 Dec 2021

Is this a thing that people do? I've only seen it the once recently at a large bouldering wall near me, and I don't have a dog so I'm not looking for ideas. 

It's obviously not going to be too hot right now, so it could be fine for all I know. The dog seemed pretty calm. 

girlymonkey 23 Dec 2021
In reply to FreshSlate:

I leave my dog in my van quite often. Today she had a chew in there which she didn't want to leave when I got home so she spent another or so in there from choice. I went out a few times to see how she was and she showed no sign of wanting out, so I just left her. 

Mine are not so settled in a car, but would have no problem leaving them in their if they were

Wooj 23 Dec 2021
In reply to FreshSlate:

I have a T5 camper and leaver my cocker spaniel in there loads when at the wall. He has a water bowl and food and a blanket to lay on. He loves the van. Always in it! 

JoshOvki 23 Dec 2021
In reply to FreshSlate:

My dog is more than happy in the van, if its cold he has a blanket, if it is warm we are not at the wall. Same as if I go shopping or anywhere else that doesn't let dogs in and I am only going to be a couple of hours. He is much happier in the van on his own than the house.

The bouldering centre I go to most frequently is happy for dogs to come in as long as they stay off the matting and are not in the way. So he is quite happy to lay on the side taking fuss from whoever wants to give it, and ignore anyone who doesn't

Myfyr Tomos 23 Dec 2021
In reply to JoshOvki:

Around here, some farm dogs have their own car or van...

girlymonkey 23 Dec 2021
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

Presumably a hand (paw?) throttle? Your average collie would struggle to reach the pedals! 😜

Ciro 23 Dec 2021
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

> Around here, some farm dogs have their own car or van...

A family round the corner from us have a big old mobile home and their dog clearly prefers it to being at home - whenever they come back from a trip, he stays in the van for another couple of days. 

The funny thing is, he sits upright in the driver's seat all day, looking out the windscreen, like he's trying to figure out how to get on the road again.

OP FreshSlate 24 Dec 2021
In reply to FreshSlate:

Thanks all! I can see why vans might be more comfortable but I suppose if the dog is relaxed and warm enough it doesn't matter what the vehicle is. Just wanted to make sure the dog would have been OK. 

It looks like I have upset a few people with the question but appreciate the non-defensive responses.

Ta!

Flinticus 24 Dec 2021
In reply to FreshSlate:

I have have but only for brief visits. Usually as the wall is near a park and I'll have walked her and then fancied a 30mins session. She has a crate and bedding. I might, pre-covid, bring her into the centre if I take a coffee break. 

No down votes from me for voicing concern!

JoshOvki 24 Dec 2021
In reply to FreshSlate:

> It looks like I have upset a few people with the question but appreciate the non-defensive responses.

Oh that is just because you mentioned the D word on UKC. Normally it descends into chaos, and I'm surprised no one has come up with an anecdote about the time they saw a dog take a poo out of their window onto the bonnet, which the owner bagged and left on the wing mirror of another car or some such  

Post edited at 10:04
 girlymonkey 24 Dec 2021
In reply to JoshOvki:

> Oh that is just because you mentioned the D word on UKC. Normally it descends into chaos, and I'm surprised no one has come up with an anecdote about the time they saw a dog take a poo out of their window onto the bonnet, which the owner bagged and left on the wing mirror of another car or some such  

That's my plan for this afternoon!! How did you know? I'm going to head to the most pristine beauty spot I can for it!

Maggot 24 Dec 2021
In reply to JoshOvki:

Don't mention cats!

JoshOvki 24 Dec 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

What is more disturbing, your plans for later or me knowing about them? :| Might as well poop with a view

n-stacey 24 Dec 2021
In reply to Wooj:

I'd say that was the perfect vehicle for Dogin... 

In reply to FreshSlate:

My whippet cannot be left anywhere alone at all. That is anywhere... except one place... the back of my Landrover. If I leave her at home she works herself to a total frenzy. Leave her with anyone but a very select few she just doesn't relax. 

So, these days I've got a little 'hot pocket' sleeping bag thing I made for her. She loves to get inside it. And she will happily sleep for hours and hours in the back of the Landrover. So she comes with me everywhere.

I have often wondered what others must think if they notice her in there. Which is unlikely given I make it fairly tricky to see her. But then I think... who cares? So long as she is relaxed and happy... then that's the best thing to do.

Jenny C 24 Dec 2021
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:

Our spaniel was the same, back of van was his safe place.

timjones 25 Dec 2021
In reply to FreshSlate:

Car, house or kennel, most dogs won't care as long as they have been fed and have a bed to sleep in 

Neil Williams 25 Dec 2021
In reply to FreshSlate:

Depends on the dog.  If it is distressed, no.  If it is happy, yes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...