UKC

Liverpool climbing wall - 90s?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 AlanLittle 01 May 2021

I'm hoping the ukc collective memory can help be out with a vague recollection that's bugging me.

I lived in Liverpool for a few years circa 1990. I know when I first moved there there was no climbing wall in the city; we occasionally went to one at a Leisure Centre in Ellesmere Port. Then the one at the YMCA opened, which was the one I mostly went to in my time there.

I faintly recall also going to a then-new one in a converted church somewhere in north Liverpool. Which from that description sounds like it should be Awesome Walls, but googling them suggests they didn't open until '99 by which time I was long gone. This would have been in the early 90s. Was there another business on the same site before them? Or anything else that matches the description?

biscuit 01 May 2021
In reply to AlanLittle:

Awesome walls had another site before moving into the church I believe. Not sure if that helps. Dave did tell me all about it one day but I can’t remember where he said he started out. I don’t think it was a church and I don’t think it was called awesome walls.’

Rick Graham 01 May 2021
In reply to biscuit:

I went to the old one once, iirc it was in an industrial unit. I think it was a mile or so west of the church one.

I think Dave still had it open when he showed me the church one being developed in about 1998.

Ian Parsons 01 May 2021

You couldn't be combining two separate recollections, could you? Warrington is within easy striking distance of Liverpool, although clearly nowhere near its northern part. The North West Face opened in early 1996, and is in a church.

In reply to AlanLittle:

I can do better than that, precursor to Awesome Walls was the Climbing House, 1995. Single height industrial unit. The resin traverse wall made its way to Awesome I think.

biscuit 01 May 2021
In reply to steveriley:

That was it! The climbing house.

No idea if that helps Alan though. 

AlanLittle 01 May 2021
In reply to steveriley:

I think we might have a winner, if I‘m misremembering the church part. It was definitely that part of town.

Thanks folks

llanberis36 01 May 2021
In reply to AlanLittle:

The YMCA wall was really good, nearly as good as Otterspool Prom wall......

In reply to AlanLittle:

There was also a pretty good wall in the Vernon Sangster sports centre in Stanley Park

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...