UKC

Locked in Ratho

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Aisthorpe 02 Feb 2022

Locked in the ratho carpark again… Was only sitting there for about 10 minutes after closing. Spoke to a staff member and apparently this keeps happening. They are not willing to come and open the gate

bouldery bits 02 Feb 2022
In reply to John Aisthorpe:

That seems very unhelpful. 

Neil Williams 02 Feb 2022

Why would you sit in the car past closing rather than leaving immediately if you knew they locked it up promptly?

In reply to Neil Williams:

Because I’m a numpty Had a brilliant conversation with the Uber driver on the way home tho so was worth it!

Neil Williams 02 Feb 2022

Robert Durran 03 Feb 2022

Happened to me a couple of months ago. Ended up paying £50 for a taxi. A friend very kindly did the 75 mile round trip for me to retrieve my car next afternoon. Probably worth keeping dossing kit in the car in case it happens again (couldn't face a sub-zero night without a sleeping bag with work next day!).

gravy 03 Feb 2022
In reply to bouldery bits:

unhelpful, actively hostile and unfriendly you might think, especially since they could check the carpark before locking up!

Post edited at 07:57
 Mowglee 03 Feb 2022
In reply to gravy:

I wonder if the staff stop getting paid at the same point the customers expect to stop climbing? At Awesome there's been several cases of customers getting annoyed at being asked to leave early, and staff getting annoyed because they're having to stay beyond when they get paid for - just because the management haven't allowed any time for locking up. 

I wonder if it would be possible to cunningly escape via the road at the back behind the lorry park   Looks like the only thing blocking it is a medium sized rock.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ratho,+Newbridge/@55.9244629,-3.3977545,2...

minimike 03 Feb 2022
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

Angle grinder in the boot..

Luke90 03 Feb 2022
In reply to Mowglee:

Yeah, Stockport AW need to advertise their closing times as quarter to the hour or pay the staff past the hour. I always leave when they start dropping unsubtle hints because it's not the staff's fault but come on.

Jenny C 03 Feb 2022
In reply to gravy:

> unhelpful, actively hostile and unfriendly you might think, especially since they could check the carpark before locking up!

Not familiar with Ratho, but whilst if you'd wandered to the pub and left your car unattended id say fair enough, your mistake. I would expect staff to make an effort to encourage attended vehicles to vacate before locking them in.

Martin W 03 Feb 2022

> I wonder if it would be possible to cunningly escape via the road at the back behind the lorry park

From memory. there is a gate a short way along that track towards Ratho but I can't recall how often, if ever, I've found it locked (I've only ever ridden it on my bike*, so locked gates are easy enough to overcome).  I was once driven along that track for a preview visit to the climbing centre before it [finally] opened for the first time i.e. in its original non-CEC-owned incarnation.  That was in a Land Rover IIRC; I definitely remember it being extremely bumpy and uncomfortable but that was probably because it had been pounded by the climbing centre construction traffic before the bridge over the canal was built (badly, so the council had to fix it when they took the place over).  I think that the track is in rather better condition now, I suspect partly because it's the access route to the newish-looking property about ½km east of the climbing centre (which may also account for the presence of a gate a bit further on).

* Access for bikes from the canal towpath is up a steep and often slippery ramp, so the track in question is a much better cycling route to the climbing centre from the canal if you're coming from the east IME.  Coming from the west, there's a path that leaves the canal towpath at Wilkies Basin about 800m west of the climbing centre, and skirts round the north edge of the large field between there and the climbing centre, finishing up in the same lorry park area.  Both routes are more suited to mountain or gravel bikes rather than roadies I think.

Looking at the streetview pics, you might not even need to be that cunning. If the gate is still how it was when Google car went past there's nothing to stop you lifting it off its hinges.

Sure, the staff have homes to go to but locking your paying customers in the car park is a dick move.

Post edited at 10:05
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

> Sure, the staff have homes to go to but locking your paying customers in the car park is a dick move.

The council has security vans that drive around their properties.  I wouldn't be 100% sure it is the staff.  It might be the security patrol. Usually the staff at Ratho are really friendly.

supersteve 03 Feb 2022

Is there not a £20 fee for someone to come and unlock the gate?

Toccata 03 Feb 2022

> Looking at the streetview pics, you might not even need to be that cunning. If the gate is still how it was when Google car went past there's nothing to stop you lifting it off its hinges.

This. Using the car jack is a handy aid which I have used in the past for just this. Be sure to put the gate back though.

In reply to supersteve:

> Is there not a £20 fee for someone to come and unlock the gate?

I've heard of people calling the police who have then managed to call out a key holder. Not sure about charge. But it seems to me like taking the piss to waste police time like that for your convenience.

minimike 03 Feb 2022

On street view the sign says centre open till 9pm and car park till 10pm.. either you were sat there for an hour, or they didn’t do what the sign says…

If the latter, I’d be charging them for the taxi!

Post edited at 12:34
 Neil Williams 03 Feb 2022
In reply to minimike:

If they are locking it before the sign says, then I would pursue a complaint.

> If they are locking it before the sign says, then I would pursue a complaint.

They do sometimes announce the carpark locking time before closing time.

In reply to Robert Durran:

If it is anything other than what is on the sign, the sign should be removed and replaced with one saying to enquire at reception as to the closing time, or the more common "The car park is open only during the centre opening times and will be locked shortly thereafter".

I wouldn't be surprised if a Small Claims action for the taxi fare would succeed if closed earlier than the sign.

Post edited at 12:42

> If it is anything other than what is on the sign, the sign should be removed and replaced with one saying to enquire at reception as to the closing time, or the more common "The car park is open only during the centre opening times and will be locked shortly thereafter".

I may be wrong, but I don't recall seeing a sign saying 10pm. But I seem to remember, when I was frantically running around looking for somebody to let me out, that there was a sign which made me think I only had myself to blame. Shall look, next time I'm in.

PaulW 03 Feb 2022

I used to work for the National Trust. Despite numerous signs saying that the car park would be locked half an hour after the property closed and giving them an extra half hour beyond that there were cars locked in the car park as often as not during the summer.

After a long day I used to despair at getting home sometimes.

Garethza 03 Feb 2022

They have definitely changed the signs to 9pm - post covid.

In reply to Garethza:

Ah, Google Streetview is probably out of date, then.

FactorXXX 03 Feb 2022
In reply to minimike:

> On street view the sign says centre open till 9pm and car park till 10pm.. either you were sat there for an hour, or they didn’t do what the sign says…

This is a Screen Shot from Google:

In reply to FactorXXX:

> This is a Screen Shot from Google:

Yes, very prominent as you go in. So no excuses for us really! Next really wet weekend I might accidentally deliberately get locked in to save the fuel driving home and back again next morning.

Ciro 03 Feb 2022

I used to park the van round the corner if I was climbing again in the morning, assumed they would come round and chase you out at locking up time. Wish I'd known they just locked you in...

In reply to Ciro:

Don’t seem to force anyone out despite signage. Maybe just so much easier for them to lock the gate and go.
I’ve arrived a few times just after opening times over this winter and see quite often vans that are still, or had been obviously, occupied overnight (condensation/curtains/insulation still on front windscreen, etc.). One time there were three vans parked, usually nearer the back of the car park.

Neil Williams 04 Feb 2022
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

I suppose people should count their luck - they could replace the gates with an ANPR system that would send you an automatic fine if you were there outside opening times...

A few of the DIY sheds do this to stop people using their car parks for learner driver practice out of hours, but catch people out if they arrive slightly before opening or sit there making a phone call after closing time.

Post edited at 11:06

Times are changing. RSPB Vane Farm, Kinross, has just recently started charging £5 for overnight (£3 day) parking for non members. Used to be free for everyone and as close to M90 was quite popular and maybe partly as the toilets were and are open 24 hrs. They used to be heated too (don’t know if they still are after the upgrade)!

Some of my local retail parks are lock gated after closure of units despite having ANPR systems.

I don't think it's unfair that those who wish to park a camper van overnight in a private car park and sleep in it should pay to do so.  That's a different game to e.g. deciding to go to the pub and leaving your car empty in a car park to get the next day.

Post edited at 11:26
 Garethza 04 Feb 2022

I think a fiver is justifiable for a working loo.. 

Alkis 04 Feb 2022

I'd totally pay a fiver for that to be fair.

Ciro 04 Feb 2022

> I don't think it's unfair that those who wish to park a camper van overnight in a private car park and sleep in it should pay to do so.  That's a different game to e.g. deciding to go to the pub and leaving your car empty in a car park to get the next day.

In what way is it different?

The same space is being used in the car park for the same length of time.

Andy Gamisou 04 Feb 2022
In reply to Martin W:

> That was in a Land Rover IIRC; I definitely remember it being extremely bumpy and uncomfortable but that was probably because it had been pounded by the climbing centre construction traffic before the bridge over the canal was built

No - Defenders feel like that over everything.  That's when they actually go anywhere.

(Long time Defender owner).

In reply to Garethza:

Yes, a cheap overnight stop, which is off road, quiet and sheltered.

I always thought leaving the gate open, toilets open and free to use and heated too with hot water, 24 hrs as they did was very generous. Doesn’t surprise me they have put in a charging machine as it was used by anyone both within and outwith centre opening hours.

I’ve not been since the changes so they may have upgraded the toilets as well to a higher standard, though they were of a decent standard before.

In reply to Ciro:

> In what way is it different?

> The same space is being used in the car park for the same length of time.

It's different because it is being used as accommodation, which commands a higher price than simple car parking due to its greater utility.

Garethza 04 Feb 2022

So you agree with Nevis Range charging people to stay overnight in their car park - even though you get naught for it.. apart from a piece of gravel to park your car? (Bear in mind you can park down the road for free..)

Seems a bit greedy to me IMO 

Ciro 04 Feb 2022

> It's different because it is being used as accommodation, which commands a higher price than simple car parking due to its greater utility.

What difference to the car park owner does it make whether there's a person in the vehicle or not?

If I park at millstone edge to partake in some of the best sandstone climbing in England I don't get charged more than someone just going for a walk for the "greater utility" I'm getting from the car park.

Besides, if you want to put a price on everything, isn't avoiding the consequences of a drink driving conviction worth a lot more than one night's accommodation?

whispering nic 04 Feb 2022

They do. Three times every evening from an hour before closing...

Robert Durran 04 Feb 2022
In reply to whispering nic:

> They do. Three times every evening from an hour before closing...

Maybe you need to turn the music down a bit!

In reply to minimike:

Street view is generally 2-3 years out of date and certainly doesn't represent a contractual obligation.

Speak to the chief route setter about that.

minimike 05 Feb 2022

Obviously. Apologies that i wasn’t prepared to travel 300 miles round trip to check for the purposes of a forum post reply..

Spending 5 minutes checking no-one is sitting in their cars (or climbing in the quarry) would be considerate.

Robert Durran 05 Feb 2022

I once did have someone warn me while sitting in my car with the lights on. The time I was locked in I had no lights. There are usually a fair number of vehicles parked overnight I think.

When climbing in the quarry I always park outside the gate.

jess 05 Feb 2022

Not sitting in your car while staff are trying to lock up and get home would be considerate...

Brown 05 Feb 2022
In reply to jess:

Not expecting you be out the door at the same time as the advertised closing time would be considerate.

Tbh if the staff stop getting paid at the advertised closing time this is a clear example of wage theft and transfering the blame to the customer is a misdirection.

climbingbug 05 Feb 2022
In reply to minimike:

> Angle grinder in the boot..

vandalism!

Post edited at 19:06
 jess 05 Feb 2022
In reply to Brown:

The centre closes at 9 and the car park is locked at 9.15. There are several signs in the car park, in the building and in the quarry that clearly state this and there are even tannoy announcements every night to remind people.

The person closing on the night that the OP was locked in (and not for the first time judging by the "again" in his post) has told me that they did actually drive around and round people up before leaving. It's not their fault if they miss somebody who is sitting in their car in the dark...

Do you have any suggestions as to what other measures could be taken? 

In reply to jess:

Haha, thanks Jess. We aren’t doing it on purpose. We are unaware or forget how quickly you lock up despite it being on the sign etc. Since you said it keeps happening I thought I’d suggest a solution since the other ones aren’t working. Not trying to be difficult. Even though it was a great wee adventure getting home I’m sure It could put many of your customers in a right pickle.

In reply to jess:

It’s not that dark. You have street lamps everywhere. If your colleague missed me then I would suggest checking more carefully. It’s not that hard to see if someone is in their car. Walking round would probably be more successful. The last time there was another car stuck too… and it was daylight. 

In reply to jess:

How about using a megaphone to warn people that might still be there that you are locking up. That could be the best solution?

whispering nic 05 Feb 2022

Your penultimate post was quite reasonable, that last comment wasn't. The times etc are posted, it is not part of the staff's responsibility to peer into the window of every car in the car park on a cold dark January night to make sure nobody has ignored the signs and announcements.

Hi nic, are you the manager? Sorry if I was unreasonable. There are usually only a handful of cars left there. Peering into the window of each wouldn’t take more than a few minutes. The megaphone idea might be best tho? Just suggestions that could help your customers avoid getting in a pickle. In the meantime I’ll start reading the signs and listening to the announcements Thanks

I guess megaphone idea might not work if people have got music going.

whispering nic 05 Feb 2022

Unfortunately some people don't take kindly to having somebody peer into their window in remote car parks after dark, and reactions can be mixed.

haha, yes. I can imagine. 

btw, i wasn't being sarcastic when i asked nic if he was the manager. I think it might have come across in a bad tone. I genuinely think you are? 

Anyway, i'm really not that concerned about this issue. It was clearly my fault and it didn't cause me much trouble. I'll be there tomorrow. Hopefully see u folk around. Maybe i could get a key for the gate

gravy 07 Feb 2022
In reply to jess:

"Do you have any suggestions as to what other measures could be taken? "

A physical barrier that allows people to leave but not enter? Commonly available and effective I believe.

Robert Durran 07 Feb 2022
In reply to gravy:

> "Do you have any suggestions as to what other measures could be taken? "

> A physical barrier that allows people to leave but not enter? Commonly available and effective I believe.

Those spikes which flatten from one direction but puncture your tyres from the other. Would certainly be good for a laugh.

tehmarks 07 Feb 2022

To allow entry but disallow exit without someone having to come to physically lock the gate?

Neil Williams 07 Feb 2022

Though probably easier for travellers to evade (as that is probably what it is being closed for) as they would likely be carrying something to put over the top, whereas to get through the gate they would have to commit criminal damage by cutting it or the lock.

In reply to tehmarks:

> To allow entry but disallow exit without someone having to come to physically lock the gate?

Like the climbing centre version of Hotel California.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...