UKC

Loss of use in arm.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 flopsicle 22 Jun 2021

So I failed neuro obs got ct scanned, mri'd,  dopplered, ecg'd (×2) etc etc etc. The upshot is I am not dying but my right arm is not working. It works near my body but nothing works properly pulling away from my body or stretched out. It doesn't hurt, just  does not work. I can raise it over my head but it requires a lot of thought. The most I can lift is a can of beans and I look like I'm lifting 20kg - 3rd time up is not possible, not happening. I can't pull rope through a belay device and there's no way I could lift rope with it. It just is not working. 

I can still use a mouse, write - fine motor stuff if its near me. I could touch the docs finger (arm out) but only with huge effort because even my lungs are trying to push my arm. The second time is easier but not faster and unless I think really carefully I miss. I cannot throw a dart - not and have it hit where it should. Most of the time it feels heavy and deciding to use it is like getting up for a wee when you're really comfy, you can but....

I'm asking here because 3 docs have seen me. All 3 thought it was my brain but my brain has now been thoroughly checked, even my neck got mri'd! 

So the last doc (neurology consultant) just said it was in my arm (after full day of tests) but to go back to my GP because it needs looking at. Only I know my GP does not know what it is. 

It came on suddenly, got worse and then I think a little better but still pants. 

Does anyone recognise it? I probably did it climbing without much style.

Tony Buckley 22 Jun 2021
In reply to flopsicle:

No, can't tell you what that is and to be honest, I wouldn't really trust anyone who says they can unless they're a medical professional with access to your records.

That said, something from my own experience.  In the space of six days, many years ago, I went from leading an HVS 5b one sunny April Saturday to being unable to hold a pen and write six days later.  Five or six weeks later, back as it was.  Turned out that was the first major sign of MS.

Which isn't to say that's what you have.  If you've had the scans and the EEG and seen the neurologist, they should have picked up any nerve plaque signals.  Should have but, and this is an important but, those plaques might not have fully formed or may, just because life is like this, might not have been picked up this time.

So go back to your GP, listen to what they say and do what you're told.  Fingers crossed for that there's another cause and that stuff gets sorted for you.

However, if something else equally strange starts to happen - for me it was my left eye not moving left of centre, which gave me lots of headaches and took me a few weeks to work out, but it could be something like your right leg not working the way it should do causing trips and falls or any of umpteen other strange things - get back to your GP and start pressing them for more scans.

I hope it doesn't work out like that obviously, but what you posted rang an alarm bell.

T.

wbo2 22 Jun 2021
In reply to flopsicle:  Not had the same but sounds similar to Bells syndrome, that I have had twice (opposite sides 5 years apart), and also affected the shoulder.  Likely a viral infection of a nerve.

Good luck, I hope you get a diagnosis, and only a temporary problem

Post edited at 21:17
OP flopsicle 22 Jun 2021
In reply to Tony Buckley:

Thank you. I will go back to the gp and haven't come here instead, just that hundreds of people who do the same things are here so worth a punt. I know they could have missed something but given the clear concern prior he seemed awful confident to say all was well after. I had CT scan, ecg (heart), doppler on the neck and mri head and neck. When I came out the mri I asked if the images were clear and was told they were very good - god knows I lay STILL. He was very confident all was well, that it was my arm and that it needed treating. 

I am all prodded out but will return next Tues when my gp works. 

Post edited at 21:33
 Timmd 22 Jun 2021
In reply to flopsicle:

I guess it's a reassuring thing that it's not your heart or your brain. All I have to offer a wishing of good luck.

Edit: I guess with modern electrical technology (still a little in the beginnings) allowing people to think to move their limbs, in the longer run you may get movement back again to climb, but via a different path? 

Post edited at 21:40
 james wardle 22 Jun 2021
In reply to flopsicle:

I seem to have something similar. (which is not to say it's the same).  So weak on my right side I could not lift my right arm above my head for about two years,   had the same raft of MRI test etc the most useful thing I got from the neurologist was.  "we are really good a diagnosing and treating neurological pain,  but not so good at diagnosing and treating weakness". 

I've spent the last two years on regular physio and strength exercising and can now lift 8KG reps with my right arm (big result) and I'm even getting back to some gentle climbing.

This being the internet I'm sure everyone will be along with every scary thing it could be. 

All I'm trying to say is we don't know much about Neurology and these things can mysteriously come and go (well almost go). like everyone else says keep plugging away with the doctors, but keep yourself fit in the meantime.

OP flopsicle 22 Jun 2021
In reply to flopsicle:

I have every intention to keep climbing. Although going to wait to see gp again first. I've seen a gp, a and e doc and the neuro consultant - none have made much sense with what has happened. But only suggestion was rest which doesn't feel right. I feel like I'll have an arm like spaghetti if I rest - I want to wake it up again. 

OP flopsicle 22 Jun 2021
In reply to james wardle:

And bloody well done with the 8 kg! That's enough to lift a rope to clip that is!

Kevster 22 Jun 2021
In reply to flopsicle:

Hi,

Again, I know nothing, but a climbing friend had a "crushed nerve" whatever that actually is, which he blames a massage he had for. That caused all sorts of strength and range issues for him. It took time, but has got back to as normal as he can tell. Shoulders are complicated.

You say desk and mouse in the OP. Thought about changing your seating position? just in case is a repetition type injury? 

Best of recovery. K

Removed User 22 Jun 2021
In reply to flopsicle:

Maybe you've had this already but;

I had nerve damage to both arms years back and ended up with a neurologist who ran currents through the nerves that located where and to what extent the nerves were disrupted. Saved me surgery and with some very simple rehab he was bang on to the week with the stages of recovery based on nerve growth.

You appear to have stalled at the diagnostic phase, rehab will be hazy at best till that's sorted. If nerves, there's a lot can be done if you have the right tools and someone to read them.

FYI the rehab exercises were unweighted movements (weight is a function shared with muscle), that simply worked on the connection fidelity - more weight at that stage doesn't help. Perhaps focus on the connection not the bulk action. Some of my exercises were no more than straightening my fingers.

OP flopsicle 23 Jun 2021
In reply to all

Thanks and keep ideas coming. The above gave me something specific to ask the gp for - physio from someone that deals with this and nerve conductivity test. I think my gp is on my side but I've been warned there's long waits for everything now they know I'm not dying!

ThunderCat 23 Jun 2021
In reply to flopsicle:

The only vaguely similar thing happened about 3 years ago.  Woke up with pins and needles in my right handand assumed I'd been sleeping on my arm.  Didn't go away when I got up and found that I'd lost a lot of dexterity and strength in my right hand.  Couldn't tie my laces, write, couldn't do the Mr Spock "live long and prosper" sign, and was unable to splay my fingers apart if there was any pressure keeping them together.

Feared the worst (mini stroke etc).  Only diagnose I got was that I may have trapped a nerve.  It gradually got better over the next six months but it was bloody scary to not be able to control a limb that had been operating fine about 8 hours earlier

Wishing you all the best 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...