UKC

Max hang training, 18mm or 14mm edge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Imedio 27 Oct 2020

Hello hangboard experts. 

So a bit of context, I am starting a 6 week max hang block which will be 2 sessions a week. I have just finished my “test day” and managed a successful 12 second hang at 27.5kg but failed with 8 seconds at 30kg. For my hangs I am using The 18mm edges on a beast maker 1000. 

my question is am I best off carrying on with the 18mm edge or should I do a test day on the 14mm edge and use this for the next 6 weeks?

Si dH 27 Oct 2020
In reply to Imedio:

Stick with the bigger edge. I would only switch to the small one (or mix it up a bit) in a later training cycle if you find you stagnate or if you have a project with really thin crimps that you want to focus on especially.

jezb1 27 Oct 2020
In reply to Imedio:

What Si said!

Stick to the bigger one for now at least

MischaHY 28 Oct 2020
In reply to Imedio:

I think this one very much depends on what goals you have in mind. If you're already strong on a crimp but struggle with smaller holds, then a period of specific small edge training makes sense. However if this is a base strength phase at the start of a winter of training then the larger edge makes sense as the strength gains will be similar without the added skin damage or increased risk of injury. 

You can also consider changing grip type if you are plateuing (presumably you're currently using half crimp). Training front 3/back 3 half crimp or middle open can be a great way to break a performance plateau and improve grip strength specificity at the same time. 

Hope this helps. 

OP Imedio 28 Oct 2020

To reply to all, thanks for the advice, I am going to carry on with the 18mm edge and review/change stuff up after 6 weeks.

thanks again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...