UKC

Music when training

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dinodinosaur 16 Jan 2018

I see a lot of people at the wall with headphones in training these days and I can't help but wonder, what are you guys listening to? Mozart? Grime? Or the entire Harry Potter series audio books?

What do you lot prefer to listen to when climbing? Or is the generic wall music perfect for your training needs?

snoop6060 16 Jan 2018
In reply to dinodinosaur:

Drum and Bass / Jungle for me. I've just got some bluetooth earphones that have noise cancelling for 15 quid off Amazon. They are great for the wall. You get the beeps from interval timer on my phone as well as the music. Phone stays on the floor while I do laps on the circuit board. Passes the time well. 

Post edited at 08:00
 guy127917 16 Jan 2018

Godspeed you black emporer, f*ck buttons, breach.

As close to white noise as I can get to block out unwanted beta/banter.

guy127917 16 Jan 2018
In reply to snoop6060:

Agree that bluetooth headphones are a revelation for bouldering/climbing, no wires!

snoop6060 16 Jan 2018
In reply to guy127917:

Yep, especially with noise cancelling. These ones are made by Anker and have some little rubber things so they don't fall out as well. Highly recommended. Especially at 15 quid. 

OP dinodinosaur 16 Jan 2018
In reply to snoop6060:

What headphones are these, they sound excellent and I think I should get myself a pair.

Edit, just saw you said they are made by anker and did a little amazon search 

Post edited at 10:15
 AlanLittle 16 Jan 2018

Nothing except when doing long ARC sets.

For those I have playlist with a general theme of load-fast-pounding that I have carefully refined over a period of years, that was originally for doing long sets of weighted step-ups for alpine training. ARC isn't as boring as *that* was.

Jon Stewart 16 Jan 2018

I use the training room at my wall which has some speakers you can plug your phone into if you get there first. There's normally 2 or 3 people using the room.

If someone else is there first, they usually have some guitar music on. White lads singing and playing the usual 3 minute songs. One lad puts on the Beastie Boys (he's round the age I was when Fight For Your Right came out - so that would be like a teenage me listening to stuff from the 50s - weird?).

If I get there first, then whoever else turns up is subjected to minimal psychedelic house music ( https://tinyurl.com/yb239ypk ), which I assume they hate. But I got there first. And if they knew what they were talking about they'd realise that it's great.

Post edited at 10:22
 snoop6060 16 Jan 2018

These ones: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N6DC2ZE/ref=cm_sw_r_oth_api_owDxAb4FT9X9K

Absolute bargain. A little bass heavy but really good sound for the price/features. 

Steve Hayward 16 Jan 2018

Here's a quick list of climbing related tracks across a few different genres, if you're looking for inspiration:

8 Strong Men & Failures No Option- The Herbaliser

Sure Shot & Body Movin' - Beastie Boys

Bang On! & Take California - Propellerheads 

Breathe - The Prodigy

Burnin' - Daft Punk

Do It Again, The Big Jump, Shake Break Bounce - The Chemical Brothers

Movin On Up - Primal Scream

You Take - Midfield General

Hold On Tight - ELO

Never Enough - The Cure

Hang On To Your Ego - The Beach Boys

Elevate Myself - Grandaddy

Hands - Raconteurs

Move On So Easy - Little Barrie

Upside Down - Shades

Success - DJ Cam

The Rockafeller Skank - Fatboy slim

Tied to the Mast - Lo Fidelity All Stars

So Easy - Royksopp 

Slipped Disc - Luke ViBert

Shaolin Buddha Finger - Depth Charge

Shake Me - Mint Royale

Push - Little Dragon

Kids With Guns - Gorilla

Get a Move On - Mr Scruff

Get Tough - Krys Kleer

Inertia Creeps - Massive Attack 

Right Place Wrong Time - Jon Spencer Blues Explosion 

Hope that helps... S

scoobydougan 16 Jan 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

You owe me 10 mins I was initially intrigued but it never got going.  Does it ever? 

ianstevens 16 Jan 2018

Techno if I need some psyche, podcasts to stave off boredom of a long endurance set.

Jon Stewart 16 Jan 2018
In reply to scoobydougan:

Depends what you mean by get going. There are no cheesy crescendos if that's what you're looking for. If you want weird and wonderful hints of melody, eclectic bits of music from all over the shop seamlessly entering the mix, and beautifully produced sound design at every juncture, then yes, it gets going in a subtle, continuous way.

Post edited at 11:15
 scoobydougan 16 Jan 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I was never a cheesy crescendo type I did however like something a little faster. Bugged out around 1994 was my favourite haunt oh and Art Lab 

Jon Stewart 16 Jan 2018
In reply to scoobydougan:

Yep, it's pretty f*cking slow! Given that most of my time in the training room is just waiting (I think a session must be a about 80% resting to 20% doing if that) stuff that's pretty downbeat seems to work...

Edit: Oh yeah, and if you listen for long enough, you get Johnny Cash (not sure about this set, but in one Burning Man set he drops Caravan Of Love - inspired!).

Post edited at 11:27
 scoobydougan 16 Jan 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I don't know what to say to that 

seankenny 17 Jan 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> If I get there first, then whoever else turns up is subjected to minimal psychedelic house music ( https://tinyurl.com/yb239ypk ), which I assume they hate. But I got there first. And if they knew what they were talking about they'd realise that it's great.

I'm nearly an hour in, and I have to say, it is indeed great.

Not sure it's ideal training music, mind, but it is cool.

The Burning Man crowd need to put their back into it a bit more.

Post edited at 17:59
 stp 17 Jan 2018
In reply to AlanLittle:

> Nothing except when doing long ARC sets.

I don't think I could focus on music when doing anything approaching challenging climbing. I find climbing takes 100% of my attention. I can see using it for ARC training but since I've never done that (too boring and too antisocial) I don't think I'd ever climb with headphones.

GoneFishing111 17 Jan 2018

Im a big fan of Emancipator. In particular First Snow (Ooah remix) for my training tune.

I have a few different ones:

Creedence clearwater revival - fortunate son. Meat Loaf - Bat out of Hell. Patrik Almkvisth - stop chasing me. Airiel Down - black flag P1&2. Chase and status - NRG. Rob Bailey - Hungry. 

Just a few, which im pretty sure no one else will like!

Greasy Prusiks 17 Jan 2018
In reply to GoneFishing111:

Emancipator fan here as well. Looking forward to getting a chance to listen to the new album properly.

Out of interest have you ever found anything similar to emancipator? I've tried tycho, bonobo etc but they all feel either too ambient or electronic for my taste. 

GoneFishing111 17 Jan 2018
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

I haven't, but i do like broke for free, a bit different.

My most favourite tunes nearly always come from backing audio on youtube vids and films, thats how i got in to emancipator and BFF.

I like the "Chillstep" Genre too.

Jon Stewart 17 Jan 2018
In reply to stp:

> I don't think I could focus on music when doing anything approaching challenging climbing.

I'm on about doing a 10s boulder problem (not listening while doing this) then resting for 4 minutes (listening to music). I can see why it's normal to listen to faster, more aggressive music than I choose, but I really don't spend 4 minutes psyching up for an attempt on a problem on the board. Perhaps I should? 

As for hanging off a finger board, podcasts would be ideal, but that's even more antisocial than psychedelic house! 

How anyone can actually climb proper stuff where they need to concentrate wearing headphones, like you, I have no idea. 

Greasy Prusiks 18 Jan 2018
In reply to GoneFishing111:

Cheers, I'll have a listen to that. 

dilatory 18 Jan 2018

For me it's less about listening to music and more about not listening to whatever they're playing over the speakers / people chatting / kids / beta spraying and even people cheering you on.

Outside I like the sound of the wind / waves / trees / birds etc. Indoors it's all training.

The Prodigy. Nothing else required.

Having said that, the last time I regularly visited a wall was in the 90's and the music was produced from a CD (remember those?) spinning in a ghetto blaster. (Worry ye not, it was a "private" wall.)

In reply to snoop6060:

Jungle, good choice!....maybe some donk would be good?

Andrew Kin 19 Jan 2018

Thank your lucky stars you don't have to climb/train in the wall we use.  Local council sports centre (Sands Centre).  Every session is interlaced with the pounding beats from the adjoining fitness classes.  The woman or man running them usually adds their little comments of COME ON, FEEL THE BURN.  PUSH IT, COME OOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!

Last night was slightly better than normal and the music was to my daughters liking.  So in between her climbs she was either peeking through the curtains and dancing to the music or when she did her 30min stint on the wall she actually danced as she climbed (Top roped by me).  It was quite funny to see someone climbing at a decent standard on an overhang whilst shaking her backside to the music and singing at full volume.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...