UKC

Need an advice for climbing in Greece, Meteora

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 17 May 2021

Hi, guys!
We are going to visit Meteora this year in september 15-20, what sites/forums would you recommend to find out the current situation about:
-climbing equipment rent (rope and clips)
-climbing guide (may be you know anybody who works there, in Meteora as a trainer or guide)
-troubles with local monks (I`ve heard they were trying to forbid climbing the specific walls)

May be somebody of you going to Meteora around this dates and we can make a company for you. There are two of us + little climber, too young unfortunately to be independent. So we need the third person to support us these three days, and we are ready to support you ofcourse.
We are newbies but responsible ones: we`ve visited Kalymnos and Crimea rocks, our level about 5c-6b, sport climbing only.

Donotello 18 May 2021
In reply to Removed UserArtem Parfenov:

I’ve never heard of rope rental, is that a thing? I don’t think it is. And by clips do you mean quick draws? Again that’s not a thing as far as I’m aware. Generally you want your own personal protective gear not some random  stuff that could have been dropped from 50m.

spenser 18 May 2021

I don't know the area, however typically if you book a session with an instructor you will find they have ropes and quickdraws etc.

You are unlikely to find hire equipment for the reasons stated by Donotello.

Garrouli 18 May 2021

As mentioned above, hiring ropes and quickdraws' isn't a thing. 

The climbing in Meteora, on the whole is bolted with the occasional route needing trad gear to supplement the bolts. However, I wouldn't class the climbing in meteora as sport climbing, the majority of routes were bolted in an adventurous fashion with 5-10m run outs common. That  combined with the rock being conglomerate meaning that the large pebbles that you use for your hands and feet can sometimes suddenly part with the wall without warning (the popular routes less so) definitely adds to the "excitement". 

There are guides in the area who you can hire but I have never used one so can't be of any help there. Climbing has never been allowed on any of the towers which have monasteries. Though the religious folk there always seem to be trying to ban access for climbing though I don't believe they have succeed yet - well they hadn't last time I was there which was a couple of years ago.

There are sport crags in the area which are really good - Mouzaki has plenty of routes in the grade range you mention and would be suitable for a younger climber. There is also Pyli which is in a lovely location in a small gorge but there are less routes in the lower grades.

Post edited at 08:49
 MischaHY 18 May 2021
In reply to Garrouli:

Not in Meteora but two seconds on google confirmed that climbing equipment rental is indeed a thing in Greece. https://climbup.gr/rental-equipment/ 

nikoid 18 May 2021
In reply to MischaHY:

Well grapple me grapenuts. Didn't know it was a thing either.

a) I wouldn't want to use a hired rope.

b) There will be lots of lost deposits, it will be easy for wear and tear to be considered as terminal damage, particularly with ropes. I expect gouged quickdraws will be another ruse for taking your money. 

Iamgregp 18 May 2021

Watch the end of For Your Eyes Only, should tell you all you need to know...

Garrouli 18 May 2021
In reply to MischaHY:

Well I stand corrected. Apologies. Though I don't think I would trust climbing on hired ropes or quickdraws.

The linked website mentions:

>YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR RETURNING ALL RENTAL EQUIPMENT IN CLEAN, DRY, WORKING CONDITION.

>IF THE EQUIPMENT YOU RETURN IS DAMAGED, NEEDS REPAIR OR REQUIRES CLEANING, YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THOSE COSTS.

Sounds like a bit of a minefield regards getting your deposit back.

Post edited at 12:51
Removed User 18 May 2021
In reply to Donotello:

Thanks for your response! Yeah, I realize your concern about rental equipment, but we`ve rented a rope couple of times and both cases it was even newer than ours It is not a problem at all, we just worry about our baggage weight. Ok, we`ll pack a 70m rope and 15-17 quickdraws

Iamgregp 18 May 2021
In reply to Garrouli:

Really? It’s pretty easy to visually inspect rope and draws for damage, and something you would normally do anyway, even if they were your own.

Microfractures in gear after being dropped is myth, it’s something that happened to one very specific type of draw decades ago.

In reply to Garrouli:

I think that is everyone's initial reaction to hired gear but on further thinking hired gear from a professional outfit will be inspected by a qualified person prior to each use and replaced on to a defined periodicity. If this is the case it could actually be preferable to climbing on your mates rack or using the draws left in a route by the previous party. Could even be preferable to some of your own gear. 

Iamgregp 18 May 2021

Carry the rope and draws in your hand luggage as they don’t weigh that, then put all of your clothes into one hold bag...

Of course if you get stranded on a beach for a night with nothing but your hand luggage, you’ll end up having to use the rope ground sheet as a blanket, but that’s another story entirely!

Ian Parsons 18 May 2021
In reply to Iamgregp:

> Carry the rope and draws in your hand luggage as they don’t weigh that,

You'll get letters!

NinaC 19 May 2021
In reply to Iamgregp:

Ropes, drawers etc should really go in hold luggage. I think they can confiscate them otherwise! 

Also I have had my hand luggage/ carry on weighed! It was slightly over the limit so I had to be that person taking stuff out and trying to distribute it out in my other bags.

Not worth risking losing your stuff. 

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/destinations/quick_draws_in_hand_luggage-...

Post edited at 06:18
In reply to NinaC:

I’ve taken rope & quick draws in my hand luggage the last few years since I was ‘that person’ redistributing from hold luggage. 6 trips (within Europe) and never had my hand luggage weighed or been questioned re the gear, but reading that post you linked maybe I’ve been very lucky!

Iamgregp 19 May 2021
In reply to WanderingGinger:

Same, I've done loads of trips with all of my gear in my hand luggage.  The only issue I've ever had was some cop at Turin airport didn't want to let me take a beta stick on board so in the end I had to pay extra to have it put in the hold.

I have of course had a lot of questions about "what all those things in your bag are" but I've always replied that it's "Rock Climbing Safety Equipment" and never had an issue...

It is a bit dodgy though, climbing equipment isn't specifically banned, but it's also not specifically allowed so it really depends on the attitude of the person on the x-ray machine at that time...  

NinaC 19 May 2021
In reply to WanderingGinger:

Interesting!  Maybe it’s just at the discretion of the staff at the airport? I was under the impression they didn’t weigh hand luggage but last time i flew they wanted me to check it’s size and it’s weight. 

Post edited at 11:44

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...