UKC

New climbing wall in Longnor, Derbyshire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Simon Cook 05 Nov 2002
Has anyone got any information on the NEW wall that has just opened in Longnor? I have searched the internet but haven't found anything.
 CragHead 05 Nov 2002
In reply to Simon Cook:

Really where??? .. Let me know if you find any new information about it
 Al Evans 05 Nov 2002
In reply to CragHead: We've not got far with this have we, does it exist or is it a joke? I am interested because it would be my kids nearest wall if it exists. Somebody must know somwthing about it?
 sutty 05 Nov 2002
In reply to Al Evans:
It must be a school wall, Longnor is too far out in the sticks to justify a decent size wall.
Unless someone knows different.
 mark s 05 Nov 2002
In reply to sutty: there is one there but it only short and vertical with big holds.
Simon Cook 06 Nov 2002
In reply to Simon Cook:
Well here it is:

It's called the Upperlimits tel 0129883149. It's next to the firestation in Longnor, if you know Longnor you know that it can't be that hard to find.

It opens offically on the 7th November.

The opening times are:
Monday - Sunday 10am to 4pm
Monday - Saturday 6pm to 9pm***

***Some nights it is closed so it will be worth ringing up to check that it is open.

It cost £3.50 with free membership.

It's only 16 - 18' tall.

I hope that helps.

I am planning to take a trip there soon,if anyone want to join me there are more than welcome.
OP Aped Dant 06 Nov 2002
In reply to Simon Cook: Longnor is in Staffordshire
<duck>
Simon Cook 07 Nov 2002
In reply to Aped Dant:
If it is, it is only just.
 Dave Garnett 07 Nov 2002
In reply to Simon Cook:

If it's even half decent, I'll be a regular. There's a photo in the one and only Leek Post & Times (Royston Vasey's answer to Viz) and it appears to have holds and ropes (as well as a feature mural, apparently), so it looks to have covered the basics.
 Dave Garnett 07 Nov 2002
In reply to Al Evans:

"This facility will comprise of an indoor climbing wall for the teaching of basic skills. An underground maze system, an indoor archery range. Problem solving and some basic orienteering courses."

Can't wait to try the underground maze. Not sure about combining any of this with archery, but it may supply the extra adrenalin to compensate for the lack of height.
Richard Webb 07 Nov 2002
In reply to Dave Garnett: Indoor orienteering?
Probably given the access difficulties for the sport in that neck of the woods.
jamesdad 11 Nov 2002
In reply to Richard Webb: James has now been to this wall and says its crap, they have made the classic mistake non climbers make when building a climbing wall, they make it too easy.
James reckons all the holds are jugs and the angle is a slab. It might be useful if some locals could go along and lobby them to listen to what local climbers need (Dave G? BMC?).
They obviously have had a go and so are probably committed, they just need a bit of guidance.
Also there are no mats so you cant boulder but its not really high enough to be worth top-roping. Sounds like they just need to listen to some advice from somebody who knows what they are doing!
Al
OP Dave Garnett at home 12 Nov 2002
In reply to jamesdad:

Bugger. I was just about to organise an expedition. OK, I'll go and have a word and see what can be salvaged.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...