UKC

New Ice Factor?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 HenryCowan 01 Feb 2013
Hiya

Theres been storys about a new ice factor opening (in Inverness) in the not to distant future...but these storys started about a year ago.

Does anybody have any idea of when/if the development is still going to happen?

Thanks, Henry
OP HenryCowan 03 Feb 2013
In reply to HenryCowan: bump
 isi_o 03 Feb 2013
In reply to HenryCowan:
Hi Henry,
Hadn't clocked this post before... As far as I know, there is still a project to build one up there, but it's on hold for the meantime as there is an ice wall going in at Snow Factor Braehead and there are only so many things you can do at the one time. Not sure what the timescale is likely to be - watch this space I guess!
Isi
 Nick_Scots 03 Feb 2013
The SNOW FACTOR (ex Xscape Braehead) has an Indoor ICE WALL opening immenently.
 DaveHK 03 Feb 2013
In reply to HenryCowan:

This story seems to crop up every couple of years but nothing ever actually happens. A cynic might say anouncing plans for a new wall is a good way to get some free publicity.
 isi_o 03 Feb 2013
In reply to DaveHK:
A cynic might indeed say that... But the plans are genuine - I work at the Ice Factor. I have seen plans and everything!
As I say, Braehead has meant a delay, and there were previous delays due to other parties who were supposed to be sharing a building with it withdrawing due to the economic climate (or something along those lines, I don't really have much to do with these things, just pick up bits and bobs!). FWIW I still think it will happen, but I'm not going to hold my breath for it to imminently.
 craig1983 03 Feb 2013
In reply to isi_o:

Whats the latest on the Xscape wall anyway? Asked the Snow Factor about it around September and they'd said it would be open in November....but nothing so far!
 WILLS 07 Feb 2013
In reply to HenryCowan: cant we have a ice wall at that indoor ski place in manchester? the one in ellis brigham is small
jampot 08 Feb 2013
In reply to HenryCowan:
Guys, come along to Snow Factor in XSCAPE and you will be able to see the new ice wall going up.
We've just completed a million pound refurb within Braehead including creating Bar Varia, our bar restaurant which overlooks the slope. There are some great features in the Bar, including the original CIC hut stove and Hamish McInnes Axes.

You can see the works taking place on the ice wall.
The wall will have 42 lines including a huge 120 degree dry tooling section.

Isi is correct about Inverness, the developer is on go slow because of the economy. Owing to the constant sliding timeline we leap frogged Inverness and bought the indoor real snow centre in Braehead.
We are working on the conference rooms just now so we will have a venue for mountain films.
If you are in Braehead ask for me and I'll try and make time to show you the new ice climbing wall www.snowfactor.com
Cheers
Jamie

craig1983 08 Feb 2013
In reply to jampot:

Cool...any timescale of when the Braehead wall will be likely to open?
jampot 08 Feb 2013
In reply to craig1983:
Hi Craig. The steel fabrication is due to complete last week of Feb, ice build up will take 3-4 weeks so should be ready for Easter
Cheers
Jamie
In reply to jampot:

Hi Jamie

me and my mates were in Xscape on Monday night for some tony romas ribs after a climbing session at TCA (very yummy)!
anyway to the point we were snooping around to try and see anything but couldnt where will the ice wall be? we walked into the bar and out onto the balcony but had no idea where to look?

jampot 08 Feb 2013
In reply to unknownclimber6:
From the Balcony, look across to the garage where the Kassbohrer lives (huge doors) the ice wall is being built in that corner and up the walls that are sectioned off
I'll try and get some pics on our Facebook sites
Cheers
Jamie
 lynda 08 Feb 2013
In reply to jampot: could you post a link to your facebook sites too please?
 Taurig 08 Feb 2013
In reply to jampot:

I am pumped for this, I'm keen to pop my ice climbing cherry but the drive up to Kinlochleven for an hour or two's instruction is a bit offtputting when you factor in the petrol cost. Braehead, however, is a ten minute drive for me.
jampot 09 Feb 2013
In reply to Taurig:
Try the link below for some images of the ice wall steel sections
If you can't open the link, go to snowfactor.com and click on the facebook link.
We will upload some more images next week

http://m.facebook.com/Snowfactor?id=283289532268&_rdr#!/Snowfactor?v=ph...
In reply to jampot:

so realistly what kind of time scale are we talking?
jampot 16 Feb 2013
In reply to unknownclimber6: The wall will be open this Easter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...