UKC

Oldham climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robpugh1 17 Aug 2021

Hi, 

We've just moved from Bristol to Saddleworth near Oldham / Huddersfield and looking for a good, family-friendly wall. 

My wife and I haven't climbed since we had kids almost 10 years ago and both want to restart, we were never that great to begin with. Expecting it to not be very natural to resume, especially with a few post-covid pounds.

Our eldest is (or was - hasn't gone since Covid) progressing nicely. Our youngest 7 (also hasn't gone since Covid - and wasn't as ... natural as eldest, much more timid at heights) would need a bit of one-on-one training if possible. 

Anyone know a good, family-friendly wall nearby? I think I've seen there's one in Oldham, one in Marple but would really appreciate some suggestions.

Thanks,

Rob

In reply to Robpugh1:

You're in luck! Summit Up is due to open in the next month or so! Amazing new centre

https://summitupclimbing.com/

Has a girthy clip and climb.

Also Blochaus is good for bouldering and is fairly friendly for all abilities. Rope Race at Marple is good as well. Plus a new centre at Preston.

afx22 17 Aug 2021
In reply to Robpugh1:

Freeklime in Huddersfield is good as a family friendly bouldering venue.

Bulls Crack 17 Aug 2021
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

The 'Traditional climbing' link was a bit anticlimactic 

S Ramsay 18 Aug 2021
In reply to Robpugh1:

> Rope Race at Marple is good as well

By definition, opinions can't be wrong, but I'd bear in mind that Awesome Walls Stockport is slightly closer to Oldham if Rope Race turns out to not be quite to your taste

OP Robpugh1 18 Aug 2021
In reply to S Ramsay:

Really good to know. Thanks

OP Robpugh1 18 Aug 2021

To all.

These are brilliant, thank you all.

4291 18 Aug 2021
In reply to Robpugh1:

Another vote for http://www.blochausclimbing.com

Post edited at 08:30
 craig h 18 Aug 2021
In reply to Robpugh1:

Also Saddleworth based. We tend to use Awesome Walls at Stockport mainly, kids have always enjoyed climbing there, good selection of routes and easy to get to from Saddleworth.

The Parthian Climbing Manchester (Manchester Climbing Centre) is also not bad and is based inside a church close to the Manchester City football ground.

There is a new wall opening in Oldham very soon, be interesting to see what the climbing and bouldering is like. It also has some fun family orientated climbing / at height things, it could be a good local venue.

Within 30 or 40 minutes there are a few other walls, but not climbed on them for a few years. The ROKY climbing gym at Brighouse is in a fairly unique location and our kids enjoyed it. Not been to the new Hudderfield Wall, but meant to be good. Rock Over Climbing is easy enough to get a train to in Manchester and my daughters did head there on their own as easy to jump on a train from Greenfield. There is also a wall near Gorton (other side of Ashton) called BlocHaus Climbing, looks good, but not been. Must be 20 years since I was last at Marple, so can't comment on what the climbing is like these days. It did make a good alternative back then though.

Some nice local crags and boulders to play on around Saddleworth too, good to combine with a walk.

Post edited at 12:26
 afx22 18 Aug 2021
In reply to Robpugh1:

It’s a bit further away but there’s also the Hub at Bradford.  Mainly bouldering but some auto belays and it’s definitely kid friendly.

C Witter 18 Aug 2021
In reply to Robpugh1:

With apologies to the OP for jumping on their thread, I'm also moving to Huddersfield soon (near Golcar) and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for the best wall for lead climbing nearby? Somewhere with a bit of height (20 - 30m) would be good.

What's The Big Depot in Leeds like? I've seen that it looks like the shortest drive. Unfortunately, the website is incredibly frustrating and it's hard to find out basic information about number of lines and height, amidst all the other junk trying to sell you classes. Does it have, bouldering, a decent lead wall and a few autobelays?

Post edited at 13:24
 Wizzy 18 Aug 2021
In reply to Robpugh1:

Hi Rob,

Just saw this and thought I’d introduce myself!

I’m Chris (or Wizzy on here- childhood nickname!) and I own Freeklime in Huddersfield. We’re a 7000 sq ft dedicated bouldering centre with a 2000 sq ft Mezzanine. We have a host of kids clubs and are a NIBAS accredited centre if that’s of interest. We have 8 different circuits V0-8 

Drop me a line on chris@freeklime.co.uk if there’s anything else you need

Cheers,

Chris

In reply to Bulls Crack:

I don't follow?

carl dawson 18 Aug 2021
In reply to Wizzy:

Re: Freeklime. I’d like to add that the Kids’ classes are excellent; well run and full of fun. My granddaughter is totally inspired them.

Wizzy 19 Aug 2021
In reply to carl dawson:

That's great to hear Carl! Be great to have you and your granddaughter back again soon

Cheers 

tomsan91 19 Aug 2021
In reply to C Witter:

Traffic can be a nightmare on the m62 between Huddersfield and Leeds during the week but the long opening hours should help. Big depot has plenty of lead lines and some bouldering to go at. Membership gets you in at the Pudsey centre also. If only Parthian had kept the wall at Huddersfield open. 

greg_may_ 19 Aug 2021
In reply to craig h:

> . The ROKY climbing gym at Brighouse is in a fairly unique location and our kids enjoyed it.

Sadly not re-opened post Covid closure in March  

C Witter 20 Aug 2021
In reply to tomsan91:

Thanks Tom, that's helpful to know. Yes, it's a shame there's not a Huddersfield wall anymore. Freeklime seems great for bouldering, but it's endurance that has been hardest to meaningfully train throughout the pandemic and is what I'm most keen for when I eventually get back inside.

Bulls Crack 20 Aug 2021
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

I thought it would be for outdoor transition or some novel indoor development but jsy seems t be about learning to climb at the wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...